What's new

Older Setup HDMI to Optical (1 Viewer)

JBR78

Auditioning
Real Name
Jamie Rupert
Hey everybody,
I searched the forum for a similar situation but cannot find any threads that are specific to my problem. I'm running an older Yamaha A/V receiver (7.1 but no HDMI inputs) and an older LG plasma TV with HDMI inputs and outputs (no ARC) in my garage. I have a satellite receiver (HDMI out only) and a Firestick as sources. I'm having to run the firestick and the dish receiver to the tv to switch them, and have the optical out from the tv going to my Yamaha receiver. My issue is that I cannot get a Dolby Digital signal to the receiver. I can only get a 2 channel signal no matter what I try.

Is there any way to retain the multichannel digital signal? To any HDMI switches do this?

Apologies if this has been addressed already.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Is there any way to retain the multichannel digital signal? To any HDMI switches do this?
I went through this a while back trying to integrate some old gear with new, and the answer to both questions is no. HDMI switches do split out the audio signal to digital optical (or coax), but 5.1 is lost in the process, just as it is when sending your TV’s optical out back to your AVR.

Fortunately, HDMI has been around long enough that there is plenty of used gear to choose from, if you want to upgrade without spending a fortune.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
If you can’t buy a new receiver, you can fake it by using the Dolby Pro Logic setting to expand the stereo input to a multi-channel, surround output.

JBR78

Auditioning
Real Name
Jamie Rupert
Thanks Wayne that's kind of what I suspected. It sounds great (Yamaha RX-V1400) and is a bit overkill as it stands so I'll just leave it. Used mostly for music and the occasional hockey game or fight.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks