What's new

Old question.........new member! (1 Viewer)

Harold P

Grip
I have a Mitsubishi 60" large screen purchased around 1990-1992. My wife wants to buy me a HTIB and stopped in the Bose center and was told we need the Bose Lifestyle for $1499.00 and she is completely sold on the "little speakers".

Now after reading many posts, I have found that the members here, really don't like the bose systems, or I should say, feel that money can be spent on a better system.

I have read that the decent HTIB systems, such as, the Into 650, Kenwood 503 or 505 are good inexpensive systems and would probably buy, if $500-$600 was the budget. The wife seems the budget should be around $700.00 - $1200.00, give or take a few $$'s.

I can pick up the Onkyo LS-V950 for around $800.00 or the Denon DHT-700DV for the same. Sony 6500D also looks interesting.

Now, can anyone give me their opinion on the above and most of all, give me some other suggestions for better units and I guess, a higher cost. Remember, that "little speakers" are a must. They will be hung from the ceiling. Room size is approx. 26" x 14" with 7 1/2" ceilings. I am presently running cable tv w/VCR and DirecTv with UTV. Is my 1990-1992 tv able to take a HT setup?

Also, I will have an electrician run the cable for the speakers............I am not handy, so the "in the box", is the easiest way to go.

Thank you for the help and I will continue reading the forum, it has been quite helpful, but all full confusing.

Again, thanks.

Harold

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
hi harold -

if you are still willing to spend 1500, then i think you should be able to put together a nice component system and completely forgo (sp?) the htb route. there's certainly nothing wrong with them, but i'm rarely impressed with the speakers. the only ones i've heard that i like are the kenwood htb's - which you already mentioned.

i know you mentioned "in the box" but there's essentailly no difference between most htb's and a component system. you still have 5 speakers, a sub, a receiver and a dvd player (although the last two may be combined in one box - not a good thing imo) to connect.

you can get a very decent receiver for about 400. a nice dvd player for another 200. that leaves you almost 900 bucks for a speaker package. i'm not really familiar with the current packages and i know small speakers are important, so if you don't get any responses here, post a thread in the speakers forum.

finally, if you do go the separates route, be aware that it's a much more involved process. now you have to worry about which receiver to get, which speakers to get, which dvd player to get, etc. it's definitely more of a hassle, but i think the long-term rewards are much better.

obviously, ymmv! good luck and let us know if you have any other questions.

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Check out the M&K Xenon line for small speakers. Figure out a location to place a subwoofer (under an end table, etc.).

Harold P

Grip
Thanks for the info :)

I called a small local (not chain) AV store and was told that unless I spent $2500.00 - $3500.00 I could forget about getting a HT. This also included installation. I really don't mind spending that money, but don't want to get ripped off.

To bad..........anyone from Northern NJ on this board that wants a small job.

Thanks.

Harold

Unless you spend $2500-$3500 the owner of that store won't be able to buy a new car. Listen to Ted and you can get a nice system for about $1500 and keep your wife happy. After a while you can start sneaking in upgrades when she really starts to enjoy it.

Greg Kolinski

Second Unit
LOL,I bet he wants you to spend $2500-3500 from him:D If you bought $2500 from basic Chain store electonic place,I know:D ,as long as you know what you want WHEN you go there they are pretty good.You could get quite a bit of HT stuff ,just have to learn the hooking up part,.You can get reasonable prices from these places,and they will dicker on price,at lest Circuit City will:D

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
was told that unless I spent $2500.00 - $3500.00 I could forget about getting a HT. This also included installation. I really don't mind spending that money
hmm...first of all that guy is full of crap. obviously he wants you to spend more money.
second of all, now you mention you don't mind spending that amount?
if so, then for 3500.00 you can certainly buy a very nice ht.
ted

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks