What's new

Ok, I just saw Requiem for a Dream and.. (1 Viewer)

Chris Purvis

Stunt Coordinator
Am I the only one who was really bugged by the fact that when Harry shows up in the ER with an obviously life-threatening case of gangrene that the doctors hand him over to the cops, and its not until (apparently) a day or more later that some prison doctor amputates his arm after a guard realizes he's too out of it to work on a chain gang? Come on...

This was a real sour note for me at the end of the film, since until that point I could believe that all the misfortunes in the film that befall the characters could really happen. But no real hospital would ever let someone out the door with that kind of infection - he'd be immediately put under the knife to save his life.

I really like this movie - the performances are fantastic - but that really knocked me right out of the trance this film had me in up to that point.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
No, that bit irked me also. I think it's a very good movie and wonderfully acted but that part was pretty ridiculous.

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
I agree, not only that, but it gave a feeling that they had just plopped a bit of 1965 redneck Mississippi into what is supposed to be a present-day story. Very jarring and an unrealistic and unfair stereotype. But hey, I live in Nebraska. Perhaps I should be used to unrealistic and unfair stereotype :frowning:

OcieB

Stunt Coordinator
Heres the thing, Requiem exists in its own place in the universe, where the extremes of everything are released to roam wild. Notice the Tappy Tibbons commercials arent about anything (yes they are about some kind of juice and plan for losing weight), they are just the absolute infomercial stereotype and the reflection of Sara Goldfarbs lost dream to lose weight.

Although i think the actions of the doctor are the only downfall of the film, i dont think it is too far off, due to the fact that this film has been set up the whole time to show the absolute lows of people and society; this on top of the fact that pretty much all the supporting characters in the film reflect/contrast on the main characters and their fears and dreams.

Mark Schermerhorn

Second Unit
Saw this for the first time last night. I'm glad I didn't see this in the theater, because I really needed to pause the movie and take a breather about 2/3 of the way through. This film, as well as Seven and Monster's Ball, are the only films that I love and at the same time will continue to be haunted by.

As far as the scene with Harry in the hospital, I found it to be completely realistic. There are plenty of people in this world, including here in the US, who get treated with complete indifference because people are unnerved by their appearance, and would rather have them out of sight than deal with them the way they should. Junkies are very high on that list. That scene pretty much parallels Sara's treatment on the subway. I would have done the same thing and ignored her.

Clint Mansell's score was amazing as everyone has said. I respected his work on pi, now after experiencing this score I've put him in the upper echalons of the electronic scene.

Bob Marker

Stunt Coordinator
I thought this was an excellent film when I rented it last year and this discussion makes me want to see it again. However, its not a film that I would want to watch very often - its too depressing. In fact, I'd rate "Reqium", along with "In the Company of Men", is the most disturbing I've seen in the last couple of years.

Bob

Joe D

Supporting Actor
I picked up the Double Pack of Pi / Requiem for a Dream unseen last night and I watched both films. The price for the double pack was $13 so I knew I wouldn't be out too much cash if I didn't like either film.

All I can say is:

WOW.

Pi was pretty neat, very experimental film that is both visually stunning and interesting.

Requiem for Dream was an emotional nightmare. I felt like a used Mike Tyson punching bag after the ending. Very good film, just not one that I plan to watch for a long while. The music was extremely haunting and it expressed the tugging desire of addiction extremely well.

John Doran

Screenwriter
just watched the film yesterday, and didn't much care for it. i'm not sure if it's some disaffection i have for movies about drug-use, but the whole story occurred at an emotional distance from me. i just couldn't manage to care about the characters. and it didn't succeed in shocking or disturbing me, either.

i prefer pi.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
You know I've been seeing ALOT of unique films for the very first time lately. I've really been broadening my normal viewing habits. (not sure they were really normal anyway ;))...
Some recent films I've seen that I'd read about here and other places like Rabbit-Proof Fence, Dogville, House of Flying Daggers, & House Of Sand & Fog to name a few.
A few of those were disturbing and just Tuesday I saw Babel. In my review of that film I used the word "unsettling" 2 times.
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif

Well, after seeing Requiem For A Dream last night...Holy Crap! Requiem makes those films seem like they should be on the Disney channel. ;)
I was prepared for the content but one really can't prepare for a film like Requiem. You just can't. I really don't think I can ever remember a film with such powerful & memorable performances. I know that sounds awfully knee-jerkish but WOW the performances were truly amazing.
For the life of me I cannot understand how this film didn't any Oscars? Ellen Burstyne gives the performance of a lifetime. I know the Oscars are not what they always should be but sometimes there are some truly painful oversights. This is one big one.
Actually the entire cast is super.
I'm not familiar with Darren Aronofsky other than knowing he did this and just directed The Fountain. The style used here was just brilliant. I realize I'm using alot of adjectives in this and I'm really not trying to get attention but the direction was simply masterful. The quick cuts, the editing, the style of the drug usage was almost hypnotic.
The score. Even though I had never seen this until now, I was very familiar with the main theme. It's one of those unforgettable pieces that is mezmerizing, extremely haunting, & grand.
I know I'm leaving stuff out...
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif

An unforgettable experience.
10/10.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Glad you saw it, Tim. I did the same a few years back, and I was astounded by it. I also thought I was prepared, but knowing something and experiencing something are two different things.

Ellen Burstyn was nominated, but lost to Julia. The score, sadly, was not even nominated, I don't believe. And it's a fantastic score.

I haven't seen the film since...I'll hold out for an HD version (that I don't have to download via XBOX Live, thanks). It's a rather brutal experience.

Nathan V

Supporting Actor
Glad you loved it, Tim. This really is one for the ages. One of the few films of the new decade to really push cinema in a new direction.
Regards,
Nathan

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
You know most times I don't really want to own alot of "difficult" films because in the past they just sit there collecting dust. Especially when Club Timobi Wan was in it's prime; NO ONE wanted to see those kind of films.
But...I want to own Requiem For A Dream. It's just too powerful to avoid. Like Chuck, I will hold out for an eventual HD release. :)
Nearly 2 days later and I still have some of the film visually imbedded in my little brain. I'd also like to add the score to my big soundtrack collection. Suddenly it seems rather un-important without having that one in it. :)
I eagerly await (even moreso) seeing The Fountain soon...

Rhett_Y

Screenwriter
Requiem is one of my favorite movies... Hard and edgy.. Love it.... When I first saw it I couldn't get the scene with MOM in the hospital out of my head. Very hard scene to sit through.

I recommend this movie a lot to people. I am amazed at how many people have not seen this movie let alone even heard of it.

I can't wait to see the fountain, missed it in the theaters and waiting for the dvd.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks