Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Real Name
Sam Posten

Harry (Jared Leto) and his girlfriend Marion (Jennifer Connelly) are young, in love, and junkies. Their drug habits are consistent but somewhat manageable, as long as Harry deals enough to cover their costs. When he can’t, he and his hiphop DJ friend Tyrone (Marlon Wayans) run scams like pawning off his mother Sara’s (Ellyn Burstyn) TV for pocket change.
Sara’s got problems of her own: She’s old, lonely, and gaining weight. When called randomly to appear on a TV show, Sara fantasizes that doing so will solve all her problems: She’s be famous, adored, and surrounded by fans. To get there she’ll start abusing amphetamine diet pills, prescribed by a doctor. The drugs work fabulously to help her slim down but then take her towards madness, despite their legality.
When one of Tyrone’s drug deals goes bad, he gets locked up and Harry has to spend all the dough he and...
Continue reading...

Reactions: PMF

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
Twenty years ago, I, along with a small group of HTF members watched this movie in a Hollywood theater during one of our HTF Meets in LA. It's one of the most depressing movies I'd ever seen. Even though it's a great movie about drug addiction, I have zero desire to ever watch it again.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Real Name
Sam Posten
Twenty years ago, I, along with a small group of HTF members watched this movie in a Hollywood theater during one of our HTF Meets in LA. It's one of the most depressing movies I'd ever seen. Even though it's a great movie about drug addiction, I have zero desire to ever watch it again.
I can totally appreciate that. I wonder how 30 year old me would have reacted differently to it than 50 year old me.

Reactions: PMF

PMF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
A harrowing, disturbing and still realistic film to be seen;
even if it’s only for that one single time.

Reactions: Sam Posten

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Thanks for a great review, Sam. I passed on this film when it was originally released but always wondered what Marlon Wayans could do in a non-slapstick role. I love seeing type cast actors out of their element.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Supporter
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
So Sam, if you hated What Dreams May Come so much, why did you want to review it?

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
He was great in this movie.
Even more to the point it didn't feel like Robin Williams doing a non-comedy role where you expected him to drop character and do some manic behavior (such as Dead Poets Society - even though I loved that film!) ... but nearly all of the In Living Color cast were actors first ...
Then
1604111542736.png
Now
1604111492593.png

Marlon rated his performance...

Reactions: Jeffrey D

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dshow