What's new

Ok, I just saw Requiem for a Dream and.. (1 Viewer)

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
It is an excellent film. What a coincidence that this thread has been resurrected, a friend and I were discussing it earlier today.

Aaron Croft

Stunt Coordinator
I have watched this movie several times in the year and a hald since I purchased it sight unseen. Every time I am no less disturbed, but I am always more impressed with this film.
I love resurected threads :)

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
I remember seeing this in the theater and my friend and I turning to each other when the super "Winter" came up on screen. Both of our mouths hung open and we said, "It gets worse??!!"

The film is a masterpiece. Anything that can be so honest and disturb as well as educate/enlighten deserves all the praise it can get.

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
In my two previous posts, I forgot to say how much I love this film's score! It has to be the single best score I've ever heard. The soundtrack is among my most played CD's.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Leto has done some very incredible work lately with a ton of range.

Just compare roles in Prefontaine, Fight Club, American Pyscho, Requiem for a Dream and Panic Room.

That is a highly varied group of characters. Leto reminds me a lot of Norton just before he broke huge. He could be right there if he just got that one major role to put him in the spotlight. Then people would quickly look back at his career and see all the varied work he had been doing and put him right near the top of young actors.

Darren Davis

Stunt Coordinator
^You said American Psycho and I kept thinking, "Was Jared Leto in that?!?" Then it hit me. Paul Allen! I just checked on imdb. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.
Even though I've only seen American Psycho twice on late night cable, I own Fight Club and Requiem for a Dream and that places Leto in at least three movies I love.
This movie is excellent. A lot of money could be saved if schools just replaced the D.A.R.E. program with required viewing of this movie!
p.s. The score is great!:D

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
The one thing that amazed me about this movie after watching it that I never thought I would get out of it is this...

What an amazing use of a good HT!!!! Man, that 5.1 mix was one of the best I have ever heard. What a workout for the sound system! Highly unexpected and really adds to the punch of the movie.

MikeRS

Screenwriter
I agree with Charlie_M that REQUIEM was a huge improvement over Pi. But I find it fascinating observing the leap Aronofsky made from his low budget debut. I mean Pi showed us the guy had talent. But he just about jumped into the stratosphere with REQUIEM. The sky is the limit for this guy.
Which brings me to his follow-up, the Big budget metaphysical Sci-Fi extravaganza THE FOUNTAIN. It begins shooting next month in Australia. Brad Pitt, Cate Blanchett, Ellen Burstyn, and a rumored Johnny Depp will all star.
I think this is my most anticipated movie of the next two years. I just about get giddy imagining what this guy will do with state of the art special fx and thinking man's Sci-Fi.
And it's a love story. :emoji_thumbsup:

Bryant Trew

Second Unit
I don't think that Requiem is a better demonstration of Aranofsky's talent than Pi. Rather, I think they are equal, but you perceive differences because of the boosted budget.

Booth films are in my top five favorites of all time.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I watched this movie expecting it to be 'disturbing' based on everything I've heard about it, but didn't find it to be since it was done in such an unconventional style. The way it was done kept saying "This is a movie, it's not real." It's an incredible film to be sure, but I didn't find it disturbing.

I still need to check out Pi (bought this right before the pack with both movies came out.)

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I also find this movie absolutely brilliant and powerfull. It is quite unsettling, but not to the point of being an unpleasant experience that some have pointed out.
It will certainly make you stay off drugs...
I must admit I have some trouble fully understanding the TV addiction thing.
I watched trainspotting for the first time last night. I had no idea what it would be about. I liked it, but much prefer Requiem. The accent didn't help either :D
--
Holadem

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
I love Requiem and have no problem recomending it to friends, though I do usually add a disclaimer about it.

All of the actors were amazing. I was especially surprised with Marlon Wayans. Keith David is classic as the slimeball opportunist:

Well hello, Maid Marian...

Charlie_M

Grip
The stylistic touches were appropriate, I think, because they give the viewer insight into the altered consciousness of the characters in a way that documentary style camera work could not. Of course, different people have different amounts of tolerance for this kind of thing, but I think Aronofsky gave us just about the right amount for the subject matter.
One type of shot I thought the director made particularly good use of is where the camera is attached to the actor and points at the actor's face while he/she walks around, resulting in an unusually subjective feel. Does anybody know the name for this type of shot? I've noticed it in other movies too: Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels I think has it.

BertFalasco

Supporting Actor
Yes, Requiem For A Dream kicks shite.. Yet, one thing is bothering me, "I had no idea the wayans could act" (Wayans*****!!:)). What other Wayans was in it besides Marlon? I'm surprised no one has asked this, even though it isn't the subject at matter, it's still "disrespecting" the comprehension of this awesome and powerful movie.
-Bert
P.S. Batman: Year One will kick ass, no no hellup..
Clint Mansell kicks ass too..

James Zubb

Stunt Coordinator
Charlie the camera they attach to the actor is a Snorri Cam. He used this in Pi as well, no idea if it has been used anywhere else.

BertFalasco

Supporting Actor
James, you mean used movie wise? Because I've seen them used on Andy Dick and FEAR, both on MTV. Keep in mind I typed that assuming you were going to answer, "Used in general" to my question.

-Bert

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
I noticed that the medicine the doctor snatches away and stuffs in his pocket is insulin in vials. Certainly nothing special, and if a non-diabetic injected it they'd certainly pass out from hypoglycemia (insulin shock). Think that's good enough reason for a doctor to hide insulin or were we just supposed to believe those were tranquilizers or something?

I totally agree about Ellen Burstyn's Oscar loss. Julia Roberts must have shit diamond cufflinks and then brought a new dimension to the feat that simultaneously commented on the sad irony of multi-faceted, carbon-based fecal emissions and the human condition in order to beat Ellen Burstyn for the Oscar. She was robbed.

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
One thing I've wondered since looking up movie stats on IMDB, is one of the claimed "goofs" RE: Requiem is the shock treatment of Burstyns character. The submitter at IMDB claims that kind of treatment hasnt been used without general anesthesia for some time. This horrible experience of hers is pretty key to the plot so how does the unreality of the situation affect your opinion of the film now?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks