What's new

Ok guys lets get or thinking caps on! (1 Viewer)

Shannon W

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Shannon
In light of my recent headache with getting my new SVS Sub I have decided to start upgrading the rest of my system "I thought I would never do this again".

Right now this is my game plan.

A. Sell my Polk LSi7's move my LSi9's to the rear and buy a pair of LSi25's

B. Sell all of my polk LSi stuff and Start try'n to piece together an all Paradigm
signature system consisting of a Pair of S8's in the front, a C5 for the center,
pair of ADP3 for the side surround, and a pair of S2's or S4's for the rear.

C. Sell all of my polk LSi stuff and get the Paradigm Studio 100's for the front, Studio CC-690 for the center, Studio ADP-590 for the side surround, and Studio 20's or Studio 40's for the rear surround.

I'm not stuck on the Paradigm products. I'm also looking at KEF, Some B&W, M&K, or I'll look at any other brand you guys suggest. I realize that In order to afford B.,C. or the other alternatives i would have to buy online to try and save some money. With option A. I would order this week. The reason for me wanting to sell My Polk set up is because I don't feel that the Amp that I have is not being used to its full potential and I hate having something that's not being used the way it was intended.

This new system will pull Double duties in HT & Music...

So let me hear what you guys think. also if you have any online store that are selling at wholesale or dealer cost let me know because we all like to save money... Thanks guys! I look forward to hearing what you guys have to say..

Shannon

MaxL

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Max Levine
i won't comment on your 3 listed options. i will ask what your budget is and what kind of sound you are after... what's your budget? what kind of sound are you after? bright, warm, neutral? i'd assume neutral to bright based on paradigm, kef, polk. but you tell me. also, describe the room while you're at it.

while there may be an occaisional exceptional deal on ye olde t'internet, i don't think there are any stores legitamately selling this kind of gear at cost/ wholesale. Saturday Audio is an (the?) authorized closeout dealer for monitor audio, and they are also an authorized dealer for other brands including psb, klipsch, era, nht, martin logan and splendor. if you ever get up to chicago, they are definitely worth checking out. they also have a website - www.saturdayaudio.com. they have a couple dedicated listening rooms. some of the brands i listed monitor audio and era in particular tend towards the warm side, but sound great IMO. anyway, they deal in used gear too, so take trades and are generally more negotiable on price than your average store. unfortunately, being in IL, you'd probably have to pay sales tax.

as for M&K, they are bye bye.:frowning:

good luck

Shannon W

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Shannon
Room 11' 2" wide, 17' 3" long, 8' Ceilings. My budget depends on what is sold. I might have to buy a pair at a time but if done this way I could buy maybe a better speaker.. I'm hoping to not spend more then $5000-$7000 thats includes the money that is recouped on the gear that gets sold. But if I bought the LSi25's then I would not have to spend near that much. I can buy the pair for around $1600. But is I replace my whole system it will take me a little bit longer to complete.. But no worries..

I'd like to have a warm but slightly bright but not overly bright sound.. 4, 6 or 8 ohms don't matter. but I'd like for the speakers to be able to be more then capable of taking everything this amp can throw at it. The reason I say this is because this week I'm going to have to send my LSi9 in for repair. I think I ether got one of the ring tweeters or the cross over in the left channel. for some odd reason this speaker is not as bright as the right.. I watch some action movies at sometime loud levels and I'm not wanting to tare up another set.. also At no time have I ever heard the speakers distort but it only takes a Sec. to kill something..

So hope this info helps you guys help me.. Thanks again!!!

Shannon

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Bobby, my main pair of speakers were nearly 5K alone, and the model that just replaced them are going for 10K. Welcome to the real world.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I've heard the LSis and the Signatures and I would have no problem selling the LSis to get the Sigs, however in the same price range, I found the Joseph Audio speakers to be even better than the Sigs.

Shannon W

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Shannon
Whats your guys thoughts on definitive Technology. I realize that this is one of the Big Box Brands but i can at least demo them locally. So I think tomorrow I'll go to one of the local stores to give them a listen.

Shannon

MikeNg

Second Unit
Was there something lacking on the Polks that make you want to upgrade?

As far as getting a deal and saving money, I don't think you'll get a better value than from an internet-direct company. Look at the offerings from AV123.

You can get some good deals on the Klipsch Ultra2 THX speakers online. Just make sure the dealer is legit. Those are SERIOUS HT speakers.

Personally my experience with Def Tech has been OK - nothing wow'd me about them. Could have been the room/setup though.

John Rice, one man's fantasy is another man's real world!

Shannon W

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Shannon
Nothing wrong with the LSi's but I'm afraid that I'll end up taring another pair up... at this point in time I don't know if I over powered the mains or one of the X-overs went out. but all i know Is I'm gonna have to buy a new set of mains or fix the ones that I have.. I have no problem moving the 9's to the rear and buy'n a new pair of 25's but with this amp capable of pushing 800wpc @ 4ohms I'm getting kinda leery.
Now guys I know that the speakers will never see that many WPC but with this this being able to push 400wpc @ 8ohms I feel that the speaker might soon become the weakest link with them only supposed to be able to handle 250 max...
This is the reason I thought about revamping my system... Plus with my new "Can't wait" SVS sub to arrive I have almost convinced my wife to allow me to get into my Rat hole "Hidden $$$" for the upgrade.

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter

Have you swapped the the left and right speaker to make sure the issue follows the speaker and isn't caused by the room?

Shannon W

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Shannon

Yes I have.. Even in our old house the Right speaker was the dominate one.
and when you switched the right to the left it followed..
Shannon

MikeNg

Second Unit
There are many reasons why your tweets could have been blown. If your amp is rated at 450 you should have plenty of headroom so I don't think it's amplification distortion. I'd be surprised if you overloaded your speakers with clean signal. Chances are, you sent it a very high distorted signal, which fried the tweet, or it was ready to die anyway. Do you remember what you were listening to? You probably didn't notice that there was a problem until further down the road....

If you move the LSi's to the rear, I personally would want to add similar/same speakers in the front so that you have a 'seamless soundstage'. Essentially, when something pans from one speaker to another the quality/tonality of the sound does not drastically shift.

SherardP

Stunt Coordinator
I saw your posts over at the Polk Forum, just move the 9s to the rear and go with a pair of LSi15s up front. Those should ease into your current setup allot easier than the 25s anyway. POlk makes very good speakers, with the LSi lineup being the creme of the crop. I have the Rti12s upfront and they are awesome for HT. No need to drop allot coin for nothing. Upgrade the fronts and go from there. Better ICs, speaker cables will improve the definition in your sound as well.

If you really want to step your game up, and from seeing the size of your room. I would upgrade that Plasma to a JVC DLA HD1 front projector and go to a decent screen 90-110 inches. You wont regret the front PJ setup, and of course go HD DVD and Blu Ray since you have the coin.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks