What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Oh Boy! Quantum Leap on Blu! (1 Viewer)

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
I have some pretty fond memories of watching that as a teen on the local NBC affiliate; I'm sure Bob knows I'm referring to WMC! I was just starting to watch it again when Netflix decided it was time to pull all of the Universal shows a month ago. :*(

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I have some pretty fond memories of watching that as a teen on the local NBC affiliate; I'm sure Bob knows I'm referring to WMC! I was just starting to watch it again when Netflix decided it was time to pull all of the Universal shows a month ago. :*(

WMC, home of Memphis Wrestling.

And speaking of Memphis Wrestling, let's not forget Terry Funk was a guest star in the wrestling episode during one of his "retirements" to go to Hollywood and get his SAG card and health insurance so he could get fixed up and keep wrestling until last year.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
WMC, home of Memphis Wrestling.

And speaking of Memphis Wrestling, let's not forget Terry Funk was a guest star in the wrestling episode during one of his "retirements" to go to Hollywood and get his SAG card and health insurance so he could get fixed up and keep wrestling until last year.
I'll never forget the "empty coliseum" match with him and Jerry Lawler!

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I haven't ordered from them before. It says that the item is backordered. Have you ever had an trouble ordering form them?

Thanks.
Very rarely. I've read people having backordered items cancelled but I've not yet experienced this on in-print product. I tend to think those cancelled backorders were likely for OOP product. I had *one* order cancelled due to the product being OOP but I knew that when I placed the order (not from them but via Michael's Movie Mayhem) and was hoping they might be able to fulfill. I was disappointed but it wasn't their fault and I knew when the order was placed the chances of it being sent were slim. I have no worries about this one.

I used to order from them frequently but they were purchased by "internetbrands" and their free shipping threshold went up along with prices and a drastic reduction in sales. Once upon a time they beat Amazon prices on almost everything and had free shipping on any order. After the sale they instituted a minimum threshold for free shipping (now at $25, which is reasonable and understandable) but more importantly prices went up. They still have some items priced better than Amazon but you have to be more careful and check before ordering. They also have more of a tendency to raise prices right before a "% Off" sale goes into effect. I've placed 5 orders in the past 12 months and had no issues with any of them.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I haven't ordered from them before. It says that the item is backordered. Have you ever had an trouble ordering form them?

Thanks.

Like BobO'Link -- i haven't had trouble with them cancelling many backorders, but if something is mispriced they often cancel orders unlike Amazon (not a problem for me) or not going to be available for more than 4 weeks from their supplier they tend to cancel Backorders more often than Amazon. My few issues that I had to contact CSR went well also, but that is definitely an area DD has issues with. One of my 5 TV Black Friday Back-Orders was cancelled though all the rest came fine. I think that is the Alliance/SuperD Contract Warehouse policy rather than DD since a few of the other stores handled by the same hub (BN, FYE, DVDPlanet do the say), but BBY more often keeps their backorders active much longer so it's not an across the board policy.

I read people posting about their tendency to raise prices before a big sale. It seems to me it;s often one sale ending right before another starts because my wishlist often has just about as many prices go down as up right before a sale or new coupon goes active. I don't notice this any worse than any other store anyway. Ex: Last year they had a big February Warner Archive month long sale which ended Feb 28 (noted in the WAC Sale Details) and had a couple very nice 15% off promo codes throughout the month. Early March they had a big Spring Sale and promo codes, but the WAC prices went up as expected -- the complaints rolled in about DD fake sales again even though the prices were actually better twice in February Sales than they would have been with the March Sale even the prices hadn't changed. You can't win sometimes

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
^That's very true about their sale prices and I once argued regularly to that very thing happening - a sale ended and another started making it appear they had a wholesale price increase. Over the past year I've had a hard time doing that as prices often seem to fluctuate for no good reason. During a recent 15% off 3 or more BR sale I had several things in my cart and decided to just wait. As soon as the sale went off the prices on all of them dropped at least 10%, some more, and there was no associated sale to account for the drop. Of course they're *still* that lower price with the current 15% off sale, which is far less restrictive, so even *that* argument doesn't hold water. Oh well.. I just watch prices and jump when the time seems "right."

I, too, have had a mispriced item be cancelled. But, like the OOP titles I've had cancelled, I fully expected that to happen and, while disappointed, wasn't surprised.

I don't think this is a misprice and expect them to get new stock in fairly quickly. If not, and it gets cancelled, I'll just wait for it to go on sale again, at DD or Amazon or BB or elsewhere, and make the purchase at that time. It's not like I need it to have something to watch... ;)

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Here's another purchase option. Frys has it for $41.99, backordered until 2/23/17. Their free shipping minimum is $49 and "bargain shipping" will set you back ~$8 so find something for $8 to get free shipping. I believe it's OOS for store pickup at the moment but if you have a store near you (I don't) you might check anyway.

I've ordered from them on occasion and have never had a bad experience.

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
^ Aw, man. I was, for once, going to show some discipline by not going to Fry's (I have *two* near me) because its OOS for store pickup. But I *was* thinking of trying a different Terk FM antenna, so now - based on your tantalizing comment <"you might check anyway"> - I'll likely spend less than five minutes with the new FM antenna - and fifteen minutes in a fruitless search for an item that I just *know* is not on the shelves (but I cannot resist).;)

mattfire64

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matthew
My blu-ray set is coming in the mail later today, I'll try to give some details about the set as soon as possible.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
My blu-ray set is coming in the mail later today, I'll try to give some details about the set as soon as possible.

Mine arrived earlier.

Still about three WKRP episodes away from QL though.

Anyway, everyone make sure to check your discs when you get the set, since they screwed up the order of stacking them so the S1 case has S1 and the first two discs of S2, and so on until the S5 case only contains the final two discs of the season.

All the discs should be there, you just have to take a few minutes to rearrange them into the correct cases. And it's always wise to make sure you have all the correct discs when rearranging them.

LCD22

Screenwriter
That's the forum I went through yesterday. I crosschecked every post on all 3 pages - all seemed to agree that this initial "missing" list was wrong, and one poster went through every episode from that season and found that the Foreigner song was the only one missing.

Thanks for the heads-up over on Blu-ray.com.

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Here's another purchase option. Frys has it for $41.99, backordered until 2/23/17. Their free shipping minimum is $49 and "bargain shipping" will set you back ~$8 so find something for $8 to get free shipping. I believe it's OOS for store pickup at the moment but if you have a store near you (I don't) you might check anyway.

I've ordered from them on occasion and have never had a bad experience.

So ordered.
I threw in a few LED night lite bulbs to get the shipping discount.

mattfire64

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matthew
To follow up on my earlier post. I checked three episodes from the middle of season 2 (Animal Frat, Another Mother, All-Americans) and ALL 3 episodes had all their music intact. It's starting to look like Mill Creek really did get all the music right for this release.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
To follow up on my earlier post. I checked three episodes from the middle of season 2 (Animal Frat, Another Mother, All-Americans) and ALL 3 episodes had all their music intact. It's starting to look like Mill Creek really did get all the music right for this release.

I'm betting on something being missing from S3.

I hope I'm wrong, of course. But things are looking too good to be true so far.

morasp

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
I was wondering if anyone has any comments on the video and audio quality. I purchased the two season Quantum Leap DVD by mill creek and thought it looked very good. I also purchased their blu ray version of airwolf thought it looked outstanding.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I was wondering if anyone has any comments on the video and audio quality. I purchased the two season Quantum Leap DVD by mill creek and thought it looked very good. I also purchased their blu ray version of airwolf thought it looked outstanding.

It is what you would expect out of a Universal catalog title. They're obviously relatively new scans for HD, but not painstakingly restored like, say, Spartacus. If anyone (like, say, Amazon reviewers) is silly enough to go in thinking it's going to look like it was filmed yesterday or look as good as something like Star Trek: TNG or The X-Files that were meticulously restored for Blu, they're going to be disappointed. But if you keep in mind that it's a 30-ish year old TV show, and it looks it, you'll be more than happy with the quantum leap (no pun intended) in PQ over any other disc release to date.

Overall the show looks very good. There is a heavy amount of grain in some episodes, especially in nighttime or dark scenes. But outdoor shots are beautiful, and you can see the HD-ness in episodes like Another Mother by the way Al's "yucky" shirt pops off the screen.

As for the audio? Hell, all I care about on that front is the restored music. As long as I can hear everything else, I'm fine. So IMO, no audio issues through the first two seasons. No drop-outs, no echos, nothing obviously wrong. And the music is back as originally intended.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks