What's new

Oh Boy! Quantum Leap on Blu! (1 Viewer)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I preordered using Ron's link, but it's pending hearing about the missing songs. And, I could just decide to own it through Vudu and be done with it (though, if Vudu folds, there goes my QL).

mattfire64

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matthew
So, has anyone got the set yet? Reviews on Amazon state that ALL the music is intact.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
So, has anyone got the set yet? Reviews on Amazon state that ALL the music is intact.

Just ordered it this morning before B&N went out of stock.

But all the music can't be intact. There has to be something changed in there somewhere. I just don't see Mill Creek hedging their bets and saying "majority" if they were able to put everything back in. That itself would have been a major selling point to the hardheaded purists who have to have everything or they'll accept nothing and complain about 99% not being good enough.

I mean, I hope I'm wrong, but MC's wording has to mean something was changed somewhere.

Avilos

Auditioning
Real Name
Tom Soliva
I do not see how anyone would even have had enough time to check the music in every episode yet. I noticed on a U.K. based Blu Ray forum someone got a copy about 2 days ago. But even that would not be enough time either.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I do not see how anyone would even have had enough time to check the music in every episode yet. I noticed on a U.K. based Blu Ray forum someone got a copy about 2 days ago. But even that would not be enough time either.
They could know all the spots to check for music and have looked at those specific moments in the episodes.

mattfire64

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matthew
Often times if you preorder something on Amazon before release date then they will have it shipped to you on the actual release day, thus my reason for asking.

I just bought the blu-ray set from Amazon this morning. At first I was going to try to stay content with the original DVD releases, but the last two episodes I watched from season 2 (Animal Frat and Another Mother) had such glaring terrible music edits. The fact that Universal dubbed over the entire end credit sequence of both of these episodes with such terrible music was enough for me to give up on watching anymore episodes from that particular set. I'm just fortunate that I'm getting around to watching this great series now, and we now have the hope of seeing these episodes as they were originally intended.

classictvfan40

Second Unit
Real Name
Ron
The PQ is the same as on Knight Rider and AirWolf. I am pleased with it. Again the discs are on top of each other...ugh...not happy about that but the discs look fine with no scratches.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Most Amazon "reviews" are very positive. Reports are all music is intact and longer episodes, which were re-run as 2-parters, are NOB with no mid-episode break/credit sequence.

Amazon's price also jumped back up to the $99.99 MSRP yesterday.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Most Amazon "reviews" are very positive. Reports are all music is intact and longer episodes, which were re-run as 2-parters, are NOB with no mid-episode break/credit sequence.

Amazon's price also jumped back up to the $99.99 MSRP yesterday.

Yeah, the people who were selling it for a better price than the big crooked river all sold out rather quickly, so with no more need to price match you either pay full MSRP from them or wait.

Anyway, reports of this set seems too good to be true so far. I have a feeling they replaced the opening theme song with a timesped version of The Patty Duke Show's theme somewhere along the line just to make sure there was something in there to be pissed off about and warrant that "majority of the music" line. :laugh:

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Didn't someone mention earlier in this thread that only the last couple of seasons had some very heavy music edits? Maybe I'm confusing this with some of the reviews of the original season sets on Amazon. It was my understanding that seasons 1 and 2 were pretty much intact. With season 1 having all of the original music. The real heavy edits came in seasons 4 and 5, right? I don't remember what the status of season 3 was but I'm betting it was on par with season 2.

So, if that is the case, then maybe Mill Creek was able to restore most of the music for seasons 4 and 5? Therefore they can claim that the 'majority' of the music is intact? Just a thought.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Didn't someone mention earlier in this thread that only the last couple of seasons had some very heavy music edits? Maybe I'm confusing this with some of the reviews of the original season sets on Amazon. It was my understanding that seasons 1 and 2 were pretty much intact. With season 1 having all of the original music. The real heavy edits came in seasons 4 and 5, right? I don't remember what the status of season 3 was but I'm betting it was on par with season 2.

So, if that is the case, then maybe Mill Creek was able to restore most of the music for seasons 4 and 5? Therefore they can claim that the 'majority' of the music is intact? Just a thought.

In the US, the original DVDs for seasons 2, 3, and 4 had heavy music edits. Seasons 1 and 5 were completely cleared.

Now, Mill Creek rereleased seasons 1 and 2 on DVD last year, and season 2 had gotten all its music cleared.

That leaves seasons 3 and 4 up in the air.

The UK releases are another kettle of fish entirely.

GaryA

Auditioning
I have the R2 DVD set, which had the intact music for seasons 1, 2, 3 and 5. Music replacements for Season 4 DVDs were made in all regions. After crosschecking on a dedicated Quantum Leap site's forum, it seemed like the S4 music replacement was limited to the episode "Temptation Eyes," which replaced the Foreigner song "I Want To Know What Love Is" with generic music. Yesterday I had a poster check his BR set and he said that the Foreigner song IS there... so If Mill Creek was able to take the R2 set and upconvert that, and then get the rights to the Foreigner song, it's possible that all the music IS intact.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I have the R2 DVD set, which had the intact music for seasons 1, 2, 3 and 5. Music replacements for Season 4 DVDs were made in all regions. After crosschecking on a dedicated Quantum Leap site's forum, it seemed like the S4 music replacement was limited to the episode "Temptation Eyes," which replaced the Foreigner song "I Want To Know What Love Is" with generic music. Yesterday I had a poster check his BR set and he said that the Foreigner song IS there... so If Mill Creek was able to take the R2 set and upconvert that, and then get the rights to the Foreigner song, it's possible that all the music IS intact.

It was a bit more in S4 than the Foreigner song

http://www.quantumleap-alsplace.com/mediapages/dvdseasonfour.htm#Quantum Leap:The Complete

But, one of the songs listed as omitted in the episode Play Ball has been confirmed as present.

GaryA

Auditioning
It was a bit more in S4 than the Foreigner song

http://www.quantumleap-alsplace.com/mediapages/dvdseasonfour.htm#Quantum Leap:The Complete

But, one of the songs listed as omitted in the episode Play Ball has been confirmed as present.

That's the forum I went through yesterday. I crosschecked every post on all 3 pages - all seemed to agree that this initial "missing" list was wrong, and one poster went through every episode from that season and found that the Foreigner song was the only one missing.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
That's the forum I went through yesterday. I crosschecked every post on all 3 pages - all seemed to agree that this initial "missing" list was wrong, and one poster went through every episode from that season and found that the Foreigner song was the only one missing.

Nice to know.

And the fewer missing songs means less chance of something being screwed up.

So, if that's correct, we're down to S3 being the only sticking point.

GaryA

Auditioning
Nice to know.

And the fewer missing songs means less chance of something being screwed up.

So, if that's correct, we're down to S3 being the only sticking point.

Season 3 music is intact on my Region 2 DVD set (as are Seasons 1, 2 and 5) so hopefully that's the version Mill Creek was able to use.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks