What's new

*** Official STAR WARS Saga (episodes I to VI) Discussion Thread: Part 4 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Chad R 2760#post_3734160
I have no huge issues with the Special Editions or the Prequels, but I won't be lining up to seem them in 3D. I'm just not wowed by the effect, at least not enough to pay a premium for it. If the prices were the same for the 3D and 2D, I'd go with 3D, but they aren't, so I won't.

I don't see these doing very well, especially since he's starting with TPM, the most universally detested of the bunch. I can't imagine the others will see release if their release is dependent on its performance.
And he's releasing this directly after all 6 films debut on Blu-ray High Definition Home Video Format. It just doesn't seem very well thought out.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I don't know how much a 3-D conversion costs but it can't be so much that Lucasfilm is going to lose out. Between the dedicated Star Wars fans (arguably the most money spending fans ever), casual fans who are curious to see the movies in 3-D, the parents who either want to or have to take their kids to the theater (those parents are at least one more ticket sold for every kid that goes) and the boatload that they'll generate from merchandising, I think LFL will be making tons of money off of this.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
It's a shame we have to wait a few years before we see the Battle of Yavin and the Death Star trench run in 3-D. Damn. Why couldn't the 3-D versions come out in release order? 4,5,6,1,2,3.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
And this is going to cost less than that proper restoration of the OT that George claims is too expensive to do?

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Originally Posted by Zack Gibbs

And he's releasing this directly after all 6 films debut on Blu-ray High Definition Home Video Format. It just doesn't seem very well thought out.
Au contraire, it's very well thought out. Everybody buys the BD release, since we all want it in HD. Then once the 3-D theatrical releases are completed, we shell out again for the boxset of the 3-D versions...

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by oscar_merkx
Today is when The Making of Empire is out.

Who bought it ?
I did. Unfortunately, Amazon sent it in a box that was about 2 inches too small so the corners of the book were beat to hell. I returned it for a new copy which will probably be sent in the same wrong-sized box but I'll hope for the best (or, at least, I'll hope for a copy that isn't smashed up as bad). For the record, I'm not some OCD collector that wears white gloves to handle a book but all the edges were smashed and one corner was completely dented in so between that and the fact the book was $50, I decided that I wanted something that didn't look like it had fallen off of a truck.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Still waiting on my copy to arrive, but the reviews have been really good. Looking forward to it. Anyone who already has it want to give us their opinion?

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Pictures from the book:

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/features/2010/10/the-making-of-the-empire-strikes-back-201010?currentPage=all&ref=nf

You da man, Yoda Monkey.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
What a fantastic book. I just read the introduction from Ridley Scott, and started reading the first few pages. I flipped through the book briefly. I can tell I'm going to learn a lot about the making of one of my favorite films, The Empire Strikes Back!

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
Awesome, Episode I will be back in cinemas next year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah

http://www.starwars.com/vault/collecting/2012_star_wars_line_look/index.html

What has brought about the return of Darth Maul to product packaging?

Concannon: "The opportunity to revisit Episode I brought a ton of excitement to this year's packaging design for the team at Pilot. Because Darth Maul carried the packaging line look for the original release of Episode I, there was the urge to have another character represent the line look. Many alternative concepts were put on the table for this reason. At the end of the day, the epic duel between Darth Maul, Qui-Gon Jinn and Obi-Wan Kenobi clearly marks the amazing climactic moment of the film. Although Darth Sidious is the clear mastermind behind the dark forces, it is Darth Maul who is the face.
"In addition, the interior design of the Theed power generator made for superior packaging architecture. The light beams that blast up from the reactor core are powerfully represented within the packaging style guide. When you combine the iconic features of Darth Maul and the interior designs of the 'generator' you have the ingredients for a bold packaging line look that properly reflect the visual DNA of Episode I."

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Originally Posted by oscar_merkx
Awesome, Episode I will be back in cinemas next year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This should be the 3D release of the movie, as was reported a few months back when Lucasfilm said they'd be releasing each of the six films in 3D, one per year, beginning in 2012.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Hey Greg, that VW Vader spot was BY far the best Super Bowl Commercial. Way awesome! I even posted it to my facebook wall.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
George Lucas talks new Television Show called Star Wars : Detours

http://www.cnn.com/video/?/video/world/2011/06/14/cotd.george.lucas.cnn

interesting how he casually drops the new show in the interview with CNN

tomy01

Auditioning
Real Name
tom
Really, It is very beautiful thread . And its represents the every seen fantastic way. When i seen first time. I was feeling nice after look. Honestly saying that i love to it.

-----------------------------------------

New movies

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
In other news...

A British prop designer has won his battle with Star Wars creator George Lucas over the right to sell replica stormtrooper outfits following a supreme court ruling.
Twickenham-based Andrew Ainsworth, 62, built the original costumes used in Star Wars and has been selling the outfits, based on his moulds for the 1977 blockbuster, online for a number of years. He successfully argued the costumes were functional works rather than artistic ones, and therefore not subject to full UK copyright laws.
Lucas had taken the case before a succession of judges in an effort to halt Ainsworth's work. He has now been forced to admit defeat – in the UK at least – following the ruling by the UK's highest court for civil cases, which upheld a decision taken at the court of appeal in 2009.
"This is a massive victory, a total victory, we've already got the champagne out," Ainsworth told the BBC, adding that he had gone to court on a principle and was not going to allow the director to "buy his soul".
He told the Daily Telegraph: "I am proud to report that in the English legal system David can prevail against Goliath if his cause is right. If there is a force, then it has been with me these past five years."
However, the supreme court also ruled that Lucas's copyright had been violated in the US, meaning Ainsworth will no longer be able to sell his costumes there. The film-maker successfully sued Ainsworth for $20m in the US when he began selling replicas of the models in 2004, but a succession of UK courts overturned that ruling, culminating in today's decision.
Ainsworth's suits cost up to £1,500 and are highly sought after by Star Wars devotees, who wear them to fan conventions, as well as collectors.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2011/jul/27/george-lucas-star-wars-replicas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks