What's new

*** Official STAR WARS Saga (episodes I to VI) Discussion Thread: Part 4 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
I don't think it's an issue of not being a fan anymore or starting to dislike it, but simply taking a break for a while so that doesn't happen. That could renew one's appreciation for it when it returns.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
well, it doesn't stop us from being fans... but casual SW fans will be turned off like those casual bond/trek fans.
these similar sentiments were echoed by trek fans during the height of trek's success in the early 90's. u had trek6, TNG, DS9 out and VOY coming, ST generations movie, etc. yet @the same time, there was a sense of overdose. 2much trek going on @the same time.
not only trek, but stargate too, i'd say the last few years were probably the heights of its success with SG1 heading towards series finale, promises of direct to DVD movies, SGA, etc.
on the other hand, there are some series that NEED MORE EXPOSURE in order to get recognized like firefly =P.
ah well, that is the way of the universe =)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
So, now that the format war is over, does anyone think we'll see a Blu-Ray collection of Star Wars films any time soon?

Like with the DVDs, I bet Indiana Jones is first on Blu-Ray disc (I'd bet this year, fourth quarter) with Star Wars to follow next year.

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
I agree that a franchise can over do it and that too much can lead to burn out but I don't think Star Wars is there yet. It's not like Lucas is launching 3 SW tv series at one time. The prequels were the only star wars we got since 1983. Then you had the Clone War cartoon (which I really didn't care for, the pacing was just too fast and furious for me). Now we are getting the computer animated series. I've watched that animated trailer over and over and just can't get enough of it! If it's done right I think it will be a great series. The animation is incredible and looks more realistic as compared to the clone wars cartoon.

Remember, we have only seen a small fraction of the clone wars. There is so much more to tell. Who knows how much longer GL will be around and I'm assuming when he dies so will star wars.

By the way, I'm currently reading the prequel EU novels and am enjoying them alot more than the OT EU novels.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Sam Favate said:
So, now that the format war is over, does anyone think we'll see a Blu-Ray collection of Star Wars films any time soon?
I'm sure that LFL will follow the highly successful strategy that they used on SD DVD and wait for years until there are ALOT more Blu Ray players in homes before they release Star Wars or Indiana Jones. Although I think there's a far outside chance that Indy IV may come out in the fall but if you look back to early 2000, The Phantom Menace seemed like a nautral for a DVD release and there was only a VHS release in the U.S.
In other words, I think there's a chance that in 5 years, we're still going to be sitting here saying "Man, I wish Star Wars would come out on Blu Ray."
EDIT: All that being said, I'd love to be wrong. :)

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
TPM definitely requires remastering. the copy they use for HBO/Cinemax is really terrible. 2much edge enhancements for live action elements.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
JediFonger said:
TPM definitely requires remastering. the copy they use for HBO/Cinemax is really terrible. 2much edge enhancements for live action elements.
Apparently in preparing for digital Yoda for Episode II, they went back and substituted "weird looking puppet Yoda" for "sparkly digital Yoda" to prove they could do it. I have absolutely no inside knowledge, but I wouldn't be surprised if the eventual Blu-Ray uses that revised version.
(Note: I'm not trashing Puppet Yoda of Empire and Jedi. Puppet Yoda circa 1980-1983 was awesome. Puppet Yoda in 1999... not so much.)

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
Josh Steinberg said:
Apparently in preparing for digital Yoda for Episode II, they went back and substituted "weird looking puppet Yoda" for "sparkly digital Yoda" to prove they could do it. I have absolutely no inside knowledge, but I wouldn't be surprised if the eventual Blu-Ray uses that revised version.
(Note: I'm not trashing Puppet Yoda of Empire and Jedi. Puppet Yoda circa 1980-1983 was awesome. Puppet Yoda in 1999... not so much.)
the movement was fine...he just didn't look like Yoda (not even allowing for him being 30 years younger)

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
I don't think Lucas will wait as long to release the SW saga on Blu-Ray as he did on DVD. For one thing, they missed releasing anything in '07 for the 30th Anniv. because they didn't think the demand was there for another DVD release. Putting the movies out in high definition, however, presents a wonderful marketing opportunity and it also gives a big "push" to the new format that only comes from tentpole releases like SW, Indiana Jones and LOTR. Like Sam, I think we'll see the Indy films this year and SW on Blu-Ray by the end of 2009 at the latest.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
the spike channel is going to show all 6 movies in april. direct tv has the spike channel in HD.
Jacob

Joe_G

Second Unit
Sam Favate said:
Like with the DVDs, I bet Indiana Jones is first on Blu-Ray disc (I'd bet this year, fourth quarter) with Star Wars to follow next year.
Well one hurdle is out of the way. Rick McCallum said awhile back that Lucasfilm wouldn't jump into the HD media erauntil there is only one format, which has now happened.
Still, even though I want the SW films to come out sooner than later, I don't think it will happen until maybe 2010 at the earliest. Correct ,that the reason there was no boxset for 2007 was because of lack of interest. But that was only because LFL kept rehashing the same discs since 2004. I think it will be a few years before LFL thinks about another release. We stll have the 3-D versions on the horizon, when those ever happen. So maybe they'll wait until then for a HD release.
I'm curious as to what other changes Lucas has made to the films, besides the cg Yoda for TPM. I would imagine that more cleanup will be done, as far as matte lines/boxes and fixing the lightsabers again. I'm wondering if any of the PT films have gone through some sort of re-edit - the addition/subtraction/extension of scenes or a possbile tightening up of scenes that don't seem to work well as they are now.
I'll agree that we'll see the Indy films on BD first though.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
the uS channel spike is going to be playing all 6 movies starting on april 4th.
direct tv has the spike channel in HD.
Jacob

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Holy crap, I think Samuel L. Jackson is actually voicing Mace. The trailer itself looked totally kick ass. :emoji_thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks