What's new

*** Official STAR WARS Saga (episodes I to VI) Discussion Thread: Part 4 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
http://www.lightsabre.co.uk/Interviews/jwrinzlerinterviewthirdinterview.htm
A – Well with the Making of Star Wars I couldn't say it because we didn't know how well the book would do, but since the book did so well and in fact it made the New York Times best seller list, so I think we're pretty sure there'll be an Empire Strikes Back book, and if we do it will be in the same format as the Star Wars book.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I saw the trailer for Clone Wars in front of (I believe) Speed Racer. The character animation on the film looked second generation. Hair didn't move, body movements looked stiff and unnatural and facial movements looked stiff. People complained about movies like Polar Express and Beowulf. Well, those films were expressive and life-like compared to watching the Clone Wars trailer.
This is one film that looks like it should have gone straight to video: not based on story quality but on the fact that Lucasfilm did not expend the effort or money required to produce a theatrical quality animated film. It looked like a TV premiere transported to the big screen, which it probably was.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Edwin-S said:
The character animation on the film looked second generation. Hair didn't move, body movements looked stiff and unnatural and facial movements looked stiff.
It seems pretty obvious that that's the look they're going for rather than trying to make it look real like Robert Zemeckis tries to do.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Edwin-S said:
trailer.
This is one film that looks like it should have gone straight to video: not based on story quality but on the fact that Lucasfilm did not expend the effort or money required to produce a theatrical quality animated film. It looked like a TV premiere transported to the big screen, which it probably was.
You do realize it's a cartoon, right? Geesh. :rolleyes

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Brent M said:
So what? What has that got to do with anything? The Clone Wars part of the Star Wars universe is an intriguing concept. The story in this "cartoon" might actually be quite good. My complaint is that if he is going to produce a theatrical feature then spend the time and money to breathe "life" into the characters. The problem with the trailer I saw is that the characters are too much like mannequins. They have no personality and are not animated enough in their facial reactions to really create an "illusion of life". The rest of it actually looked not too bad, but the lack of life and personality in the characters knocks it down.
Just because it is a "cartoon" (like as if that is any excuse to justify lower expectations) doesn't mean that it should be looked at any different than any other aspect of the Star Wars universe.

Joe_G

Second Unit
Brent M said:
And also that The Clone Wars IS a tv series, not necessarily a feature film. The first 3-4 episodes are edited together for theatrical release. The rest of the series is being aired on cable/sat.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
TravisR said:
It seems pretty obvious that that's the look they're going for rather than trying to make it look real like Robert Zemeckis tries to do.
I guess I should clarify. I'm not saying that he should have made the characters look "realistic". A lot of times, in animation, "realistic" characters actually look less realistic and life-like than caricatured ones do. I did not have a problem with the "cartoony" look of the characters. The problem is is that these highly caricatured characters have a lot of room for the animators to create the "illusion of life"; however, due to the fact that this is primarily a television premiere transported to the big screen, the characters are under animated.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Joe_G said:
And also that The Clone Wars IS a tv series, not necessarily a feature film. The first 3-4 episodes are edited together for theatrical release. The rest of the series is being aired on cable/sat.
Yes, that was my point. The "film" is not theatrical quality so releasing it theatrically magnifies its weaknesses ala the character animation. Lucas should have just stuck to releasing this as a typical television premiere.

STARKILLER1138

Second Unit
Real Name
Lou
No doubt this will be an easy skip for those who have issues with the animation. Thankfully, I like the animation style; and, I'll be front row center when this is released.

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
From what I understand, WB were the ones that talked Lucas into making a theatrical film out of the first handful of episodes to better promote the series. WB execs saw the episodes and thought they were of theatrical quality.

At the end of the day, I am looking forward to seeing it and the animation really doesn't bother me. At this point, I'm just hoping the movie is good.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
TerryRL said:
At the end of the day, I am looking forward to seeing it and the animation really doesn't bother me. At this point, I'm just hoping the movie is good.
Absolutely. :emoji_thumbsup:

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
edwin i'm with you on this.
in spite of that i do look forward to seeing the film.
the feeling i get on this is they look like marionettes.
Star Wars: Team America Clone Police.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
IIRC, Lucas did say in one interview he drew some inspiration from Gerry Anderson's SuperMarionation shows like Thunderbirds.

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
Concerning this "Clone Wars" movie.
Not interested one bit in seeing it in cinemas. The Star Wars series has officially relegated for me to care about through Netflix or the DVR. No more merchandise being purchased unless it's something I'm actually looking for. I was in fact looking forward to the new 3D Indiana Jones game which uses the same hardware as that The Force Unleashed game. So Star Wars has higher priority with its over output of product I'm frankly getting tired of? Pissed me off when The Force Unleashed got more priority over Indiana Jones 2008/2009.
So I'm getting frankly tired with this milking of the Star Wars franchise. Only thing whatsoever I'm actually and honestly looking forward towards is the live-action Star Wars TV series and possible another Knights of the Old Republic game.
In fact, I consider BOTH KotOR games to be far higher in quality and story compared to the trite TPM and AOTC. Only film out of the PT Trilogy I felt close to nailing the atmospheric feel and tonality of the OT was in fact RotS.
Could be I'm sick of the influx of Star Wars at the moment since I lost interest in everything SW besides the occasional item was when I bought the 2006 DVDs? It was all for Indiana Jones my attention went.
Yes, I'm far more of a fan of Indiana Jones compared to Star Wars. And besides, there aren't as many rabid Indyfans as are SW. I mean I enjoy both series but I highly prefer Indy when it comes to my collecting money. I've stopped purchasing SW action figures a few years back and now? I'm purchasing Indiana Jones. Yes, the universe is larger and everything but it's just a literal overload of Star Wars stuff frequently that I've become far less interested.
So bring on the Star Wars live-action TV series and another KotOR game. I'll be a bit more interested then. To hell with The Force Unleashed and give me an Indiana Jones game. The Clone Wars movie is only deserving of a rental from me on a rainy day with nothing to do. MIGHT buy Lego Star Wars complete jobby for my 360 but I'd rather buy the Lego Indiana Jones first. Indiana Jones for me has higher priority for me compared to Star Wars now.
And when the hell are we going to get seamless branching for all the main versions of the Trilogy on BD? Of course thankfully Indiana Jones will be released first and Star Wars will be begrudgingly second. In fact I bought the 2006 DVD's at Costco when I still owned my 2004 boxset. Sold the movie DVDs from my 2004 boxset, kept the boxset and the bonus disc and put the 2006 movie DVDs in place of the 2004 ones.
Where the hell are the complete series sets for both the animooted Ewoks and Droids series? That'd be something I'd in fact be interested in.
My apologies for my latent disinterest in Star Wars. Had to happen sometime what with the new Indiana Jones film out. Actually, I was in fact looking more forward for a new Indiana Jones movie compared to Star Wars. Why? Star Wars is a far more popular franchise with a readily available and very steady release of merchandise. Indiana Jones fans like myself barely got anything compared to Star Wars besides the more vintage merch. I was geniunely and frankly more excited for another Indiana Jones adventure in comparison to Star Wars. Star Wars feels like it's being wrung dry and it needs a break. I'm taking a break from the overloaded Star Wars and finally being glad Indiana Jones is back in the spotlight.
Not bashing Star Wars but too much is too much. I even thought the Clone Wars animated series by the same dude who did Dexter's Lab and Samurai Jack were far superior compared to TPM and AotC. By the time RotS hit theatres, it felt like George was back in the saddle again and it's the only PT movie I bought and kept willingly. TPM more for Liam Neeson and AotC more for random bits.
Here's hoping the Star Wars live-action television series will be more hard edged as RotS and pulls no punches. I want full bore in the same vein as KotOR I & II were. Of course it'll be an anthology series.
Oh, that Family Guy Blue Harvest was foony too.:P
Look for me posting more but less frequently of course when those two things I mentioned come around.
Oh, I also enjoy Star Trek and Star Wars. Don't get me started on Harry Pooper!;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks