What's new

***Official*** Rotel RSP 1066 Fact and LOGICAL discussion thread (1 Viewer)

AVspec

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark
Oh, yea... my 1066 arrived today! ;)
So far I like it! The remote is very cool but since I have a AMX system I doubt I will be using it all that much but it is cool.
The 1066 sounds great and I am running it through its paces.
Anyone know how to make it go into Dolby EX mode? Also how do you tell what version software it has?

Gregg Z

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Mark,
Do you have any DD-EX discs? (i.e. Episode 1:Phantom Menace, Gladiator, Cast Away, Jurassic Park 3, Toy Story 2, to name a few, others listed here http://www.smr-home-theatre.org/surroundex/)
If you play one of those discs and the 1066 doesn't automatically kick into DD-EX mode, then that unit doesn't have software version 1.35 or later.
Go here...
http://www.rotel.com/Techups/32-techup.htm
... and request a copy of the latest firmware.
(also, on my DVD player, I had to change a setting. By default my DVD player down-converted to PCM. I had to tell it to enable DD and DTS.)
Gregg

brian a

Second Unit
If you see the version number on the main menu page, you have the old version of the software. The new version does not show the version number. I think if you look at screenshots in the manual you can see where the version number would be. Like I said, I think it's the main page.

Jeff Kohn

Supporting Actor
Tony, or anyone.... do you know what program will output the MP3 through the digital coax out on a HTPC?

I would like to try this feature.
I'm interested in this also, since I have an HTPC and have been ripping my CD collection to 320cbr MP3's.

Jeff

Tony Lai

Stunt Coordinator
If you buy a digital ouput soundcard, any digital sounds will be output thru the optical or coaxial port.

T.

AVspec

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark
Thanks Gregg and Brian, I do not see a version # on the main menu (but also could not find anything in the manual) so I will assume I have the latest version. Maybe I am just not looking at the display correct? What should it display when playing a DD-EX disc, just Dolby Digital or Dolby Digital - EX? The speaker picture shows the center rear but I am not sure if that is just because of how I have the 1066 configured.

Also, did anyone else notice that there is a "THX Sur EX" on the display right next to the "DTS-EX"? Perhaps a future upgrade?????

Also I notice that the speaker icons have both CB and SB1/SB2? Anyone know how these work? I am using 2 center rear channels....

This 1066 is a very nice piece of equipment by the way! So nice I have been up since 3:30am playing with it… the 1066 that is... :b

AVspec

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark
Tony, I am using the Hercules Game Theater XP that has both digital coax and digital optical but I think you need to use software that outputs the MP3 stream through one of those outputs? I can play the MP3's with Windows Media player but no sound from the digital outputs?

I will try another MP3 player like WinAmp and see what I can find out.

Gregg Z

Stunt Coordinator
Mark,
One other question. Do you have your DVD player connected to the 1066 via one of the digital connections (toslink or coax)?
When the 1066 sees DD-EX material it will illuminate the little blue Dolby Digital icon as well as the red "EX" icon to the left of it on the display. It will also scroll across the large display "Dolby Digital EX".
I asked Rotel about the "THX Surr" icon in the display. They said its there if they choose to offer THX Surround EX processing in the future, but they don't have any plans to. Its easy to update the software but hard to re-release a new display panel. (p.s. Did anybody else see where Lucas films sold the controlling rights on THX to Creative Labs -- yes the Soundblaster people :frowning: )
As to the rear speakers, under the speaker setup section you tell the 1066 whether or not you have 1 or 2 back speakers. If you tell it 1, it displays the "CB" icon, if you say 2, it displays the "SB1/SB2" icons. If you do have 2 rear speakers, you need to make sure that you have the setting set to "2".

AVspec

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark
Thanks Gregg, that worked, now the speakers show correctly. I will try a few more DVD's with EX in them and see what I get. I am using a coax connection from my HTPC Hercules XP card.

AVspec

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark
Well I still can not get the EX to scroll across the screen and also it only lights the "Dolby" Icon with "Digital" next to it on the right in RED? The only EX I see that could light up is to the left of the red Dolby icon at the end of THX Sur EX? I see no blue icons?

Is your display the same as mine?

Gregg Z

Stunt Coordinator
Mark,

I think I may have got my colors backwards, but anyway, go to page 12 of this thread and scroll down. I posted a picture of what you should see.

Do you have a conventional DVD player that you could also try? Then you could isolate whether it is the 1066 or the Herc card.

Gregg

AVspec

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark
Thanks Gregg, good picture and you did have the colors backwards. I did try my Panasonic A110 but still no EX? Maybe it needs the upgrade re-applied? I do not see a version number? Is there a way to force it into EX?

brian a

Second Unit
Hey Mark,

Try this. Put in a EX disc and get it up and running. Once it's showing DD on the display, hit the dolby button on the front of the box. That should scroll through dolby modes. See if you can get EX to come up that way. I had to do that the first time I played an EX disc, but it's auto sensed every time since then.

Also, the EX goes with the DD icons and not the THX Surr.

brianca..

Jeff Kohn

Supporting Actor
If you buy a digital ouput soundcard, any digital sounds will be output thru the optical or coaxial port.
Outputting digital PCM audio via the soundcard is easy, but that's not the same thing as outputting an un-decoded MP3 stream to be decoded by the pre/pro.

Andrew_Ballew

Second Unit
Does anyone else's 1066 tend to skip portions of audio at the very beginning of a digital signal? Especially at the beginning of programming, maneuvering through DVD menus, and during chapter changes?

Thanks

Andrew B.

AVspec

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark
The System status page shows the version and it is showing 1.2 so I need to upgrade.

Thanks everyone for the feedback and that is another thing I like about the 1066 over the 950... you can fix little bugs like this without having to send the unit back!

NICE!

Now back to the MP3 thing... does anyone know how to output that stream for the 1066 to decode it?

Steven Hen

Stunt Coordinator
I just received the upgrade file from Rotel today. The file name is x55_P66_1v37_05-15-02. According to rotel's website the latest upgrade is 1.35 released on 4-23-02. Did I receive the correct file, if so, what does v 1.37 add?

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Good question regarding the more recent firmware date...wonder if there's anything in there that those of us with 1.35 should upgrade for?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks