***Official*** Rotel RSP 1066 Fact and LOGICAL discussion thread

Andrew Pratt

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
the price I have been quoted is quite a bit less then $1350US so there should be room to move on that price...but then again maybe they are cheaper up here then in the US for some reason. MSRP is around $2200 cdn I think and I got a little better then 20 percent off that.

Jeff AW

Stunt Coordinator
How about another 1066 vs 950 review.

I am taking my 950 in tow to my buddies at the local audio shop. We are going to A/B them Tuesday afternoon. I am just about up on the 30 day eval from outlaw and I was originally going to get the 1066. They have the 1066. I have the Outlaw. Should be QUITE interesting. Will post my findings on Tuesday night when I get back.

Andrew Pratt

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Looking forward to hearing the reviews. I'm still on the waiting list of the 950 but will likely stick with the 1066 unless the reviews heavily favor the 950 but I sortof doubt that will occur given the comparisons that have already been done b/t the Anthem and the 950. At this level I think its features that seperate them more then sound.

Legairre

Supporting Actor
Got mine for $1275. All the dealers in my state want the full $1500 list. The dealer I use is an hour away and in the next state, but he does give 15% off everything.

Andrew Pratt

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
I was told that the Black 1066's were back ordered till the middle to end of June but that the silver ones would be in any day now. well I just got an interesting call from my dealer to say that a pair of black ones came to the warehouse this morning much to their surprise (and to the Rotel rep!) anyway I'm now faced with a choice of picking up a black one tonight or waiting a few days for a silver one. I was all set on the silver one since it looks very nice but given all the other gear is black and I'm anal about distractions on equipement (I hate annoying lights on gear etc) I think the black one might be a better choice for me...still those silver ones do look nice...thoughts?

Jed M

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Andrew I am shallow so I would wait for the silver if you think you will have it by the weekend. Oh, hell what am I talking about, I couldn't wait more than five minutes if I knew it was there. I understand your pain. I'm not sure what I would do. My head says wait but my heart (and ears) say go. Good luck and I hope you enjoy your new toy.

Serge Breton

Supporting Actor
guys,
what are some of the differences between the Rotel and the Outlaw besides the obvious ones such as software upgreadability, discrete codes, better configuration for bass management, price, etc?
I'm looking for differences between DAC's and technical stuff like that. Does the 1066 have 24/192 dacs or 24/96 dacs? I find my 950 forward sounding while the 1066 is suppose to be warmer in presentation. Maybe Brian A can chime in here

If anyone wishes to sell their 1066, i am seriously considering this piece.....

brian a

Second Unit
The 1066 does, in fact, have a warm presentation. I find it to be a nice match with my energy speakers. If you enjoy a warm sound, this piece will be right up your alley.

The DACs in the 1066 are 24/96.

Andrew Pratt

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
well I decided to pull the trigger and I'll be picking up the black one tonight...the silver looks nice but IMO I think I'd be happier in the long run with an all black equipment rack

Jed M

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Andrew, You definitely made the right choice, considering that either choice would have been right.
I look forward to hearing your opinions on it. Brian, I am also looking to audition both since this warmth issue intrigues me. I own Klipsch (bright) in my main theater and Divas (warm) in my second and I have A/B'ed them and I am torn between the two sounds. I wish I could find a speaker that is the best of both worlds (in my price range), highly detailed and clear like the Klipsch but unfatiguing and smooth like the Divas. I was thinking that blending the Rotel with my Klipsch might come closer to achieving this. My question to you is something you stated in another forum, I hope you don't mind me quoting
On the 950 remote you can do what you can do from the 1066's panel, while on the 1066 remote you have to do more or less what you can do from the 950's panel.
Are you talking about just the sound fields or do you mean you have to scroll through Video 1, Video 2, CD, etc to change inputs by the remote? I guess anyone can answer this who knows but I asked Brian since it is him I am quoting.

brian a

Second Unit
I was just refering to the surround modes. That post was followed by someone pointing out that there is a ccf file on the Rotel site with discrete codes for these modes on the 1066.

Harley

Stunt Coordinator
On the 950 remote you can do what you can do from the 1066's panel, while on the 1066 remote you have to do more or less what you can do from the 950's panel.
Sometimes the simplest things stump me, I just can't quite figure out exactly what you mean, do you mean that the 950 remote is more user-friendly or am I totally missing your point, please don't criticize me for my lack of understanding what you mean.

I grew up in the age of crayons (before computers) and sometimes I need a picture of things to understand them.

Now that everyone knows I lack the proper brain cells I look forward to your reply.

Harley

Jed M

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the fast reply Brian, I just had to make sure. I figured that's what you meant because I did see the post below yours but I was still confused. Sorry about quoting you here, its just I saw you had posted a short while before so I thought you may still be here. I realize I have confused everybody, sorry.

brian a

Second Unit
I simply meant that the 950 has a surround mode up and down scroll on the faceplate and a little more grainularity on the remote (DD, DTS, etc) while the 1066 has excellent grainularity on the faceplate, but a scroll button on the remote.
The manuals for each product make this much more clear than I am being.
Rotel:
http://www.rotel.com/PDFS/manuals/rsp1066_eng.pdf
Outlaw:
http://161.58.193.209/950manual.pdf
Sorry for the confusion.

Jed M

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Brian, you are right, I should have just checked the manual. As long as its got discretes I am fine
Would you say it is warm overall (with all inputs and sound fields) or do you only really notice it with analog or music? I know this is a highly subjective question so I am not expecting charts or numbers, I'm fine with your opinion.

RichardMA

Second Unit
I see from the manual it has one of those cluttered

displays with little tiny pictures that you can't see

from any decent distance you might be from your equipment.

Why do the mfg's insist on using those pathetic little

gas/LCDs? If they are going to do that, then make

put it on the remote so those who aren't sitting right

next to our premaps can SEE them.

Gregg Z

Stunt Coordinator
Hi RichardMA,

I see from the manual it has one of those cluttered displays with little tiny pictures that you can't see from any decent distance you might be from your equipment.

Are you talking about the 1066? If so, besides the little indicators at the bottom (i.e. dts, Prologic II, HDCD etc...) the 1066 scrolls in 1/2" tall letters whatever mode it is switching to across the display. It can be read from quite a few feet away.

Gregg

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
singhjabar