What's new

Official Outlaw 950 cosmetics thread. (1 Viewer)

Russ

Auditioning
Just got back from a quick audition with the 950.Let me say this processesor sounds very nice..but the cosmetics are well, very disappointing.The unit to me looks like a 200.00 receiver.The volume knob is absolutely a joke, the plastic buttons look sparkomatic like. Outlaw has a nice sounding peice that deserves to look a whole lot better on the outside.

Russ

GordonL

Supporting Actor
You can always pay a little more and get the better looking version from Atlantic Technology or Sherbourn. Outlaw had to cut corners somewhere to get it out at that price point.

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
I agree. It is not the most beautiful thing but its not ugly in my opinion. Its plain jane. It does not generate those awe inspiring gazes like the anthem or aragon but I would never compare it to a 200 dollar receiver. I think it is really a plus that if people really do not like it they do have the option of buying the AT or Sherbourn like Gordon pointed out. Its a win win situation.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I wonder if some enterprising person or company will somehow offer to do an "upgrade" to improve the looks. :)
There was a dude somewhere who faked a photo with a bullet for the power button, and all the "control" buttons light-highlighted.

rodneyH

Supporting Actor
I must admit, it is very cheap looking as well. I have thought about doing soemthing about it (when I get 1), but that could be tough. I would polish the faceplate (if it is anodized, oven cleaner will take it off, if it is painted a simple air craft metal paint stripper will take it off, but then how do I get the letter silk screened on there and the crazy green button (what is it with the green button, NAD does it, sherwood used it, and a couple others, I don't get it, do you get it out of the 1/2 price bin if you pick GREEN?)

Serge Breton

Supporting Actor
guys,

this is Outlaws approach cosmetically. The 950 has the same thick aluminum faceplate as the competition has. Painted vs anodized is very close to the same price to do have done but there is more prefinishing on the anodized version. Silk-screened lettering is the same, everybody uses the same thing, but i bet Outlaw payed extra to have their logo put on there. I find it big personally. Looks as though it comes down to the green button, this is what seperates the units costing $899 vs the ones double and up.

In other words, Outlaw did not skimp on the materials/finish, their design philosophy in regards to cosmetics is kept as simple as can be.

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
Can someone post a pic of what the 950 front panel display looks like when playing a multichannel source such as DD or DTS. My Pioneer 709 shows a layout of the speakers that are playing and I love this, it is so its easy to identify if you are listening to a 2.0, 5.1 or what ever it may be. I don't like pulling up a onscreen display as it distracts the others in the room! So I much prefer a front panel that is easy to see from crossed the room.

Other than pics I have not seen a 950 but I have to agree its not a great looking piece. But I find alot of prepros are not too great looking.

Wes

Russ

Auditioning
If Outlaw would spend another 30.00-40.00 bucks on the outside and pass it on I do not think it would be a deal killer for many people.Maybe a nice aluminum milled volume knob,upgrade the buttons and then maybe it could possibly compare to units up to 2,000.00.When comparing products asthetics should count for something.I know Outlaw can produce good looking products,the freebie interconnects are beautiful.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
I'm okay with everything except the green button. I'm just not down with it for some reason. When mine comes in (oh when, oh when...), I may consider pulling a quick paint job on it.

J

John Morris

Guys,
Here is an image of the new Outlaw 960 pre/pro that I just received for beta testing. I'm not quite sure that Outlaw has been listening to us on this cosmetic thing? ;)
Link Removed

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
John,
:laugh: :emoji_thumbsup: :laugh: :emoji_thumbsup: :laugh:
P.S. Mine has twelve FireWire inputs to the right of the OUTLAW logo in a random bullet-like pattern.
;)

Al B. C

Supporting Actor
That green knob is fugley!
But, then again mine has orange lights and a big blue display, so who's to say. :)

J

John Morris

Mine has twelve FireWire inputs to the right of the OUTLAW logo in a random bullet-like pattern.
Robert: I must have gotten the beta2 unit then because mine has some of the new IEEE 2694 Super-Firewire connections. Here is a pic of the back of my unit.
Link Removed
:D

AVspec

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark
I have never seen so much hubbub about a piece of electronic gear! This is great! Can not wait till my 950 arrives! I know I will not be looking at it when I have a 106" FP screen and a completely dark room!!! ;)

Mike_T_

Stunt Coordinator
I always thought that the Macintosh line of amps and pre amps looked like they were built and sold in the 70's.. yet, they are specatacular pieces of engineering. How it performs is of course the #1 factor and I know none of us think otherwise. I do know however that it wouldn't cost a dime more to do things differently as far as cosmetics. Use the same materials etc. just do things differntly.

chung_sotheby

Supporting Actor
This topic was discussed ad nauseum in the Outlaw forums. I too agree that the preamp is pretty ugly, but at least it is ugly in a plain way, not ugly in a grotesque, overbearing way. I did a little photoshop work, and I gave the outlaw a silver faceplate. I think that making the faceplate silver is a huge improvement for the looks of this piece. Tell me what you think.
http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/chungsoth...iew=t&.hires=t

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alianalbuck
Recent bookmarks