What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Official Oscar Nominations and Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter

Though, of course, one has to wonder how many of those songs in Dreamgirls were added simply to have so many possible nominations rather than serve the story of the film better.

Kirk Tsai

Screenwriter
Don't disagree very much Sean. I thought "Our Town" in Cars was the song most fundamentally tied to the entire theme of the movie, just as Newman's "When She Loved Me" was in Toy Story 2. Of course he wins for neither, but does for Monsters Inc.

I believe the In Memorian segment missed Ms. Shirley Walker.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Had to laugh when Judi Dench said she wasn't going to fly from England to see Helen win for Best Actress. Prophetic, eh?

Mario Gauci

Senior HTF Member

Although he was ostensibly the best from the nominees this year, it's a pity that he didn't get it for his best movie - TAXI DRIVER (1976) which wasn't even nominated - or most of the other he was nominated for which I'd put above THE DEPARTED (2006) in the Scorsese canon. Still, I find it amusing that Scorsese has been so wishful for an Oscar when most of his heroes have always been ignored by the Academy! Hopefully, he will acknowledge this in his acceptance speech...

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I think the reason he won this year is because The Departed had the most life of his recent pictures. It was a fun time at the movies.

Color me surprised that The Departed won Best Picture. Definitely not the best of the nominees in my book.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Congrats to Mr. Scorsese. Finally gets his. :) I did pretty good on my pics early on but lost some out too. Still kind of pissed that Children Of Men got shut out. :frowning:...oh well, in my book, it's the best film of the year.
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif
:)

It was a strange show though overall...maybe due to their not really being an overwhelming favorite?

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
"The Departed" -- Not a film to take your grandma to......

The "F" word and its derivatives are said 237 times throughout the film.

Is this a record "F count" for a Best Picture winner?

:)

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter

Scorcese should have won for Raging Bull and Goodfellas, both truly superior films. It's almost like AMPAS members voted him the award as a makeup for these oversights, just like the late Jimmy Stewart winning Best Actor for The Philadelphia Story because Stewart didn't win the year before for Mr. Smith Goes to Washington.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Let's not forget that TAXI DRIVER, RAGING BULL and GOODFELLAS weren't all that loved when they were originally released. It took some time for them to become the classics they're seen as today. You could argue that THE DEPARTED has been the most sucessful film of Scorsese's career and I'm sure in 2009 when we look back at the best films of the decade this here will top many lists.

As for the show, it was horrid IMO. I might even say it was the worst awards show I've ever watched.

BarryS

Second Unit
Hooray for Marty! Of course.. it's about damn time... he should have already won twice by now, for Raging Bull and Goodfellas. But better late than never.

Wow, that's really interesting. And it's pretty much true too.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Fun show, real suspense, quite a few upsets, AND the best movie I saw all year won. Color me a happy camper.

I've not seen Gangs of New York but it seems rather plot driven, no?

--
H

Chris

Senior HTF Member
I hated the little "snippets" of useless information as people walked to the stage "some palm reader told them at age 14..."

Who the heck cares about that. This is a show that was a trainwreck. Ziskin should be canned. Bring in anyone else to rethink this whole thing.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member

Agreed. Seemed to me that that the Academy was finally honoring Scorsese's body of work, much like Return of the King's awards were more for the Lord of the Rings trilogy as a whole.

Still, congrats to Scorsese.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomkzufomsg
Recent bookmarks
SVS Outlet Sale