What's new

**Official HTF HD Formats Ind./Retailer/Studio Support Thread-*SEE POST 3176, p. 106* (3 Viewers)

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter
I think we should not get into arguments about AVC versus VC-1 video encoding on the Blu-ray format from now on, since most Blu-ray players support decoding both formats. After all, Dolby Digital and DTS audio encoding pretty much co-exist reasonably peacefully despite competing against each other on the DVD format.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

They sure know how to make a hell of an HD DVD player. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a blu-ray player from toshiba.

Doug

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

The only thing I can say about this is that Star Trek: season one looks fantastic on HD DVD. It wouldn't surprise me a bit to see Toshiba involved in the encoding end of blu-ray very soon, if they aren't already.

Doug

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David

I a too am a little surprised at how fast things are moving. I also thought that the end would be more prolonged than this. I don't know that I could justify buying a back-up player and I am curious to see what kind of secondary market develops with HD DVD software and hardware.

As far as getting screwed, I bought in with full knowledge of the competition between the formats. I initially thought I'd end up Blu-ray only (I have been neutral about as long as possible), but with HD DVD hitting the market earlier than Blu-ray, I decided to give it a try and loved it. So much so that I upgraded to an XA2 last summer. I would have liked see HD DVD make more of a run of it and I am bit bummed about its demise, but I don't feel screwed since I knew the risks as I think most who frequent the HTF did. I do feel for all the people who are not "enthusiasts" who bought players in the last few months. They were essentially screwed and can't be blamed for their decision.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I too am surprised by the [rumored] speed of things. I can certainly understand if Toshiba wants to pull the plug, to pull it quickly so that they don't have to support a larger installed user base for a [seemingly] dead platform. But if they're smart they will go out of their way to take care of the customers they already have in some way. Whether if that's to extend their warranties, or to offer a credit/trade-in program to any eventual BD hardware that Toshiba will release, they need to do something to make the one million or so customers who've already purchased HD-DVD feel better about things.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Well, it would be nice IF they did something but, in the end, they don't NEED to do anything. One million players may seem like a lot, but in the overall scheme of things, it's a drop in the bucket for their overall business.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David

True, but it will leave some with a bad feeling about Toshiba that will linger and affect the buying advice that they pass on to friends and family. Will this have a significant impact? Probably not, but it's not going to help. Before HD DVD, I never considered Toshiba because of problems that friends experienced with DVD players.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

Wow, time out Reggie. ;)

There seems to be some misunderstanding what I meant. I was pretty much referring to the older discussion, where we (briefly, I guess) talked about the fact, that if (now "when") the format war is over, should HTF start informing (lack of the better word at the moment) people that Blu-ray is the way to go. Basically those people, that might want to seek some answers from the "big" and "respected" A/V-sites, but doesn´t really know all the facts and stuff (like most of us members here).

I wasn´t talking about Blu-ray and SD DVD. IMO, these two formats can live together and only time´ll tell that will Blu-ray eventually replace SD DVD. Of course, we should inform people that HD is "better" IF you need that 1080p-quality and HD-audio etc, but there´s no need to start any Blu-ray vs SD DVD "war" - that would be the last thing that this forum would need. It´s impossible to ignore SD DVD, since it still has so many "exclusive" releases.

But of course my post was also naive, since I guess if there´s only one format in the stores and everything, it would be kinda hard to "recommend" any other HD-format/software for the people..

Like I have stated many times, I have both players and HD DVD has been a quality format. I have also stated many times that I prefer "one HD format" and favour Blu-ray. For me (and for the "masses", needing that "one format" IMO) everything went smoothly, but I do understand how the HD DVD-fans feel right now. I don´t rejoice that the "other side" lost, since it could´ve been me or anyone else. I know that the HD DVD-fans believed to "their format" as much as I believed to "mine". But IMO, with "one format", the average people won and eventually we all "won", IF Blu-ray (in the wider sense = HD) starts to do really well in the markets and among those important "masses". And that´s what I want; Masses behind Blu-ray (in the wider sense = HD).

We now have to accept (hard to some, I fully understand), that "HD" = "Blu-ray". If that "Blu-ray" will fail and eventually also "fades away", then "HD" will fail and "faces away" at least from the software media-side. Then we have downloading and SD DVD.

I know, that this is a very "black and white" comment and I don´t except that all people agree, but if we still want that software HD media in the future and the masses behind it, we all should start supporting HD. And that´s "Blu-ray" now. So I guess you´re "in" - or "out". Movies and great quality won´t go anywhere, only the format "changes" for some.

edit: Btw. It´s getting rather ugly in some forums:
Officially over @ 5pm Japan time - Page 2 - High-Def Digest Forums

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Toshiba Announces Discontinuation of HD DVD Businesses

19 February, 2008

Company Remains Focused on Championing Consumer Access to High Definition Content

TOKYO--Toshiba Corporation today announced that it has undertaken a thorough review of its overall strategy for HD DVD and has decided it will no longer develop, manufacture and market HD DVD players and recorders. This decision has been made following recent major changes in the market. Toshiba will continue, however, to provide full product support and after-sales service for all owners of Toshiba HD DVD products.

HD DVD was developed to offer consumers access at an affordable price to high-quality, high definition content and prepare them for the digital convergence of tomorrow where the fusion of consumer electronics and IT will continue to progress.

"We carefully assessed the long-term impact of continuing the so-called 'next-generation format war' and concluded that a swift decision will best help the market develop," said Atsutoshi Nishida, President and CEO of Toshiba Corporation. "While we are disappointed for the company and more importantly, for the consumer, the real mass market opportunity for high definition content remains untapped and Toshiba is both able and determined to use our talent, technology and intellectual property to make digital convergence a reality."

Toshiba will continue to lead innovation, in a wide range of technologies that will drive mass market access to high definition content. These include high capacity NAND flash memory, small form factor hard disk drives, next generation CPUs, visual processing, and wireless and encryption technologies. The company expects to make forthcoming announcements around strategic progress in these convergence technologies.

Toshiba will begin to reduce shipments of HD DVD players and recorders to retail channels, aiming for cessation of these businesses by the end of March 2008. Toshiba also plans to end volume production of HD DVD disk drives for such applications as PCs and games in the same timeframe, yet will continue to make efforts to meet customer requirements. The company will continue to assess the position of notebook PCs with integrated HD DVD drives within the overall PC business relative to future market demand.

This decision will not impact on Toshiba's commitment to standard DVD, and the company will continue to market conventional DVD players and recorders. Toshiba intends to continue to contribute to the development of the DVD industry, as a member of the DVD Forum, an international organization with some 200 member companies, committed to the discussion and defining of optimum optical disc formats for the consumer and the related industries.

Toshiba also intends to maintain collaborative relations with the companies who joined with Toshiba in working to build up the HD DVD market, including Universal Studios, Paramount Pictures, and DreamWorks Animation and major Japanese and European content providers on the entertainment side, as well as leaders in the IT industry, including Microsoft, Intel, and HP. Toshiba will study possible collaboration with these companies for future business opportunities, utilizing the many assets generated through the development of HD DVD.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
We have the press release twice now. :)
And 'thanks' to the posters!

No problem, but please do not be embarrassed anyone if your next posting of the text might get removed.

Cees

Fozziwig

Agent
Real Name
Guy

Well said. it's obviously great news for Blu-ray. But it's also great news for supporters of high definition on disc.

The industry and enthusiasts can finally unite behind a single high definition optical format and take it to the next level, which includes wider consumer adoption and substantially growing the catalogue of high definition content.

It will be interesting to read the responses of Paramount & Universal later today. I hope they are positive and pro-active rather than bitter (notice that Toshiba did not mention the victor, Blu-ray, once in their concession speech - can you imagine what people would say if the same happened in a presidential concession speech).

Anyway, a very good day for HT enthusiasts. Even if some don't know it yet!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks