**Official HTF HD Formats Ind./Retailer/Studio Support Thread-*SEE POST 3176, p. 106*

Jari K

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
More press conference-info and some Q&A:

Live from Toshiba's HD DVD press conference in Tokyo - Engadget

Three part Q: what was the cause of HD DVD's failure? What is Toshiba doing with its Aomori HD DVD factory? And what about the timing of the announcement?
A: From an objective, fair point of view, we were clearly in a good place until last December and January. So we were very, very surprised by Warner's announcement. As for the Aomori factory, nothing is final at this moment.

Q: Any plans to adopt Blu-ray?
A: No plans at all, not at this moment.

Q: Are there no plans for next gen optical disc at all?
A: We don't have any plans to announce at this time.

Q: Is there any risk of a class action lawsuit against Toshiba for the format war?
A: [For early adopters] there will be always be a risk in buying, that is how it works in the US. We are just hardware maker, so our legal risk is relatively low, we believe.

Q: What is the next-gen NAND flash memory you'll be producing? What does that mean, exactly?
A: 3D NAND is a possible candidate, but just one of them. To avoid any confusion, we cannot say which next-gen memory technology Toshiba will choose to pursue. Nothing is final.

Nishida-san's now answering why the construction will take such long time on the new factory, explaining about how its construction will make it virtually earthquake-proof.

Q: How about the process size of new factory? Is that 32nm?
A: I can't answer that. [laughs]

Q: How many HD DVD players and recorders, exactly, did you sell?
A: 600,000 players in the US -- 300,000 of which were Xbox 360 HD DVD drives. 100,000 units were sold in Europe. And about 10,000 players and 20,000 recorders in Japan. So about 730,000 units worldwide.

Robert Crawford

Real Name
Robert
The following are my personal thoughts and should be taken as such.

Well, hopefully, it's not going to get ugly here because there is no reason to do so. A business decision was made that affected many of us on this forum and for better or worse, depending on your particular situation, we are left with only one HDM format that will continue to see new players in the future. We need to stop the "us versus them" hatred that has propagated throughout the internet community. All of us got into HT in order to enjoy our favorite films in the privacy of our homes to replicate the movie theater experience as best we can due to our personal circumstances and lifestyle.

I urge our membership to put away the hostility that has divided us throughout this format war. The final determination of the war was of no doing of any of us. That determination was decided for us by multi-billion dollar corporations. There is no need to harbor resentment towards other members here. The war is over! Let's deal with it and move forward in supporting the future of HDM which is the Blu-ray format. Furthermore, the support for SD DVD will continue from the forum leadership, but we will not be silent in espousing the superiority that HDM gives us over SD DVD in video and audio presentations along with additional features. Whether you buy into Blu-ray is your own personal choice and we will not defame those that choose to remain in SD DVD due to their personal circumstances as we encourage others towards the future of HDM.

Shortly, the forum owners will officially state their position.

Crawdaddy

Jari K

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member

This is true. When the shock and anger goes away, most people will see that for the "future of HD", this was a great thing.

It´s of course sad, that the price that was paid for this "one format" was heavy for many people.

Let´s see what Universal and Paramount are doing. I guess it won´t take that much time for them to respond.

Jari K

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member

I´m not 100% sure about this. I mean all of the (major) studios are going to release films in Blu-ray - I´m sure, but Toshiba making Blu-ray-PLAYERS.. Not sure. For their sake and the people working on this "Aomori" factory, let´s hope that they start making these players.. Closing down the factory or something doesn´t sound good at all. I mean, these are just HD formats.

Dave Moritz

Lead Actor
Premium
Real Name
Dave Moritz

While I am sure they are still feeling the pain of killing off there format, you would think that they would eventually get around to anouncing a Blu-ray player. I also found it interesting that they did not mention Sony or Blu-ray at all when making there anouncement. Normally wouldn't you congradulate your opponent after you loose?

But for Toshiba to just shut down that factory when they could use it for Blu-ray production does not make any sense to me. And while Toshiba said they had no plans to jump into the Blu-ray arena. I can not beleive they would not want to join in and try to make some money in the HD market. To remain out of the market and if they where to refuse to offer a Blu-ray player any time soon, well IMHO that is the equivelent of having a tanrum because you did not get your way. But we will have to wait and see what Toshiba does here in the months to come, like I said I am sure it is a very sad day there in the home office of Toshiba.

Cees Alons

Real Name
Cees Alons
(1) Don't request everything you want in one turn.
(2) Toshiba has been involved in producing Blu-ray drives for a long time already through their joint venture with Samsung (of which they own 51%). See my earlier posts on this subject.

Cees

Fozziwig

Agent
Real Name
Guy

I find it hard to believe that Toshiba will be the only major CE manufacturer without a Blu-ray device on (at least) the Japanese home entertainment market.

Look for a Toshiba Blu-ray player/recorder by Q4 2008 (IMO).

Jari K

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member

Well, at least the "road is open" now. Let´s hope that the new titles are coming soon from all studios (still, it probably takes a bit time before things get "back to normal", I don´t believe that 50 new titles are announced tomorrow or something like that).

Damn, great feeling that this is finally over. Can´t deny it.

Jim_K

Executive Producer
Senior HTF Member
Finally!!

It'll be refreshing to see everyone refocus their energies from format bickering to where it should be, content.

BTW aren't these "format war talk" threads obsolete now?

Paul.S

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
I wonder how long the just-introduced-at-CES (888) MY HD DVD dedicated "HD DVD Concierge" consumer assistance line will stay live (as opposed to the general (800) 319-6684 HD DVD/DVD recorders/TiVo Customer Service line).

Here's hoping Universal is at least as forthcoming as WHV regarding what their timetable is for the BD release of all of their current HD DVD titles.

JeremyR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeremy
Farewell HTF Hi-Def forums.. "I have carefully assessed the long-term impact of purchasing the victorious next-generation format and concluded that a swift decision will best help my pocketbook".

"HD DVD was developed to offer consumers access at an affordable price to high-quality, high definition content and prepare them for the digital convergence of tomorrow where the fusion of consumer electronics and IT will continue to progress."

Bluray was developed to enforce region coding, and to perhaps EVENTUALLY offer consumers access to an affordable price to high-quality, high definition content

I'll be back when Bluray can develop a stand alone player with the functionality of Toshiba HD DVD players 2 years old at a halfway reasonable price. It's amazing that there are what, 5 companies building Blu-ray players and that NONE of them have managed to do that.

Toshiba, this is all on you. You really screwed the pooch on this one.

Okay.. perhaps I was being a bit dramatic. :)

Chris

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Now that it's officially over, Toshiba has said they will no longer manufacture the players or support with any incentives development of media, and all contracts with studios are over

Blu-ray's day: Toshiba quits HD DVD - Gadgets - MSNBC.com

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see any HD-DVD announcement for any discs scheduled after March (discs not already produced, or manufactured) to get spiked. In fact, I'd be pretty surprised if that didn't happen.

Henry Gale

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
"[Toshiba President Atsutoshi Nishida] said his company had confidence in HD DVD as a technology and tried to assure the estimated 1 million people, including some 600,000 people in North America, who already bought HD DVD machines by promising that Toshiba will continue to provide product support for the technology."

His fingers were crossed.

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter

AMEN!!

I'm glad this ugly war is finally over. With no more worries about competing formats, the Blu-ray Disc Association can now concentrate on efforts to lower the cost of players (so everybody who's bought a widescreen TV set with HDMI inputs will more likely buy a player) and to help all the studios produce "showcase" Blu-ray releases to demonstrate the format (I'm hoping for the Lord of the Rings movies encoded with either VC-1 or AVC format and Dolby TrueHD or DTS Master Audio
).

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wombat