What's new

***Official 'Fellowship of the Ring' DVD Announcement Thread (1 Viewer)

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
This announcement puts me into a predicament.

I want the extended version in November which means I'd like to RENT the 2-disc version in August. But since there is a separate pan and scan version, you know which one Blockbuster will have an entire wall of...

Would sales and rentals really suffer if just a widescreen version was available?

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
But since there is a separate pan and scan version, you know which one Blockbuster will have an entire wall of . . .
I wouldn't jump to that conclusion yet. There were different versions of "A.I." as well, but most around me who would normally jump at just the P&S version (rental stores, Costco), actually stocked *only* the WS version. At a minimum, I'd expect Blockbuster to have some of each.
Besides, if there are different versions of the movie itself as well as different extras on each release, won't you be buying both? :)

Jon Mercer

Second Unit
I'm so looking forward to this - but I don't want to buy both versions so I'm going to hold on till Nov.:frowning:

Zane Charron

Second Unit
I'm so looking forward to the extended cut in November. Some of the scenes felt painfully abbreviated to me (The trip to Bree and Lothlorien especially). I think the added 30 minutes will help it immensely. Too bad it isn't 60 extra minutes. A four hour film would rock and do the book more justice, I think.

Marvin Richardson

Supporting Actor
Well, I for one am thoroughly impressed! Looks like I'm going to have a lot of LotR DVDs on my shelf come 2004. Lets see, that's (assumedly) 3 2-disc sets, 3 4-disc sets, and a mega-box set with who knows how many discs. I'm looking at at least 20+ DVDs once we're done. Whoo-hoo! I'll be buying the deluxe box of everything I can.

Sure, it would be nice if it had DTS, but I don't care. And as far as people complaining about swapping discs on the 3.5 hour extended cut in November...I'll somehow manage to get up and switch the discs when I have to get up and go to the bathroom anyway.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Yes - NewLine has just raised the bar here with the 5 disc set!
I was going to hold off till November but now - in my heart - I know that ain't gonna happen. Oh well - I'm weak.:)
Besides the different cuts of the movie - does anyone know if the extras on the August release will be part of the extras on the November releases?
Right now, the way I'm reading the press releases, it doesn't look like it. 'Course, just another reason to buy both sets!!;)
Other studios - please take note of what New Line is doing here!

Scott DeToffol

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott DeToffol
Very, very cool.

I'll be renting the August release and then buying the deluxe version. I don't care about DTS or changing disks. I do hope that the deluxe version has all the supliments of the theatrical version. The extended cut looks to be amazing!

Michael Caicedo

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael Caicedo
Damm it, I'm going to have to buy the two versions as well. :) Seriously though, these are some pretty exciting times for movie fans. Kudos to NewLIne for what looks to be fantastic set of dvds.

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
LukeB:

So you want all the extras but you don't care about a longer cut?

A longer cut (of any film) is THE extra.

Let me clarify. I liked this movie in theaters quite a bit. I would love to buy it on DVD...the version that played in theaters. I don't think that a longer cut would improve the movie, but I'm all for having it as an option.

But it's the theatrical cut of the movie I like and want to own, in its best form.

I'm not a fan of revisionist filmmaking, whether it's 22 years later or 10 months later. The theatrical cut should be on both releases...same goes for the Amadeus SE.

Josh_Hill

Screenwriter
Can you imagine seeing this film in Pan&Scam? That would be horrendous to the eyes. This is one film that uses widescreen to its full advantage, I feel sorry for the poor SOB who buys the P&S.

Andy_S

Second Unit
I really don't mind having to swap discs during the movie. The thing is almost 4 hours long! You're going to need a break to stretch your legs and use the bathroom anyway. Although when a movie is this good, my brain tends to shut down all bodily functions. :D

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I have yet to see this movie and don't think I can make it until November. I plan on buying the 2-disk in August and then the 4 (or 5) disk in November.
Peace Out~:D

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I'm not a fan of revisionist filmmaking, whether it's 22 years later or 10 months later.
But is it truly revisionist?
Most theatrical releases are bound by various contractual obligations, be it running time or a certain MPAA rating. In this case, I thought NL wanted to keep it less than 3 hours. However, I think if PJ were in charge, and making all the decisions about the film and the theatrical release, he may have released the "extended version" as the theatrical version.
I'd rather have the director's vision than that of some studio suit or contractual stipulation. I just think that the "theatrical" version is usually a compromise between artistic and marketing issues.
Can't wait, can't wait, can't wait!!!! :D

Marc-Andre

Auditioning
I hope the 4 (or 5) disc releases also contain the theatrical version. With 2 discs for the movie, they could use seamless branching.

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
I'd rather have the director's vision than that of some studio suit or contractual stipulation. I just think that the "theatrical" version is usually a compromise between artistic and marketing issues.
I'm not minding the existence of such a "director's cut", but look at "Apocalypse Now Redux" and "Star Wars: The Special Edition". Both original films were heralded and like LOTR, nominated for Best Picture. The theatrical cuts.

But I'm probably in the minority here. I just don't view the theatrical cut as being a compromise, but I guess I can't judge the "Director's Cut" until having seen it.

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Oh and Dan I just want to say that everyone is free to give his opinion and if he/she hates the fact that New Line will not put DTS in that's their choice.
Of course they're free to give the opinion, but it remains a fairly trivial issue to get so up in arms about when it's so obvious they want to maximize space for the best image transfer possible, and the DD EX will by no means suck. I dunno, even with the lack fo DTS I just can't bring myself to complain about two incredibly well specified release of the movie.

The fact the two disc release has no DTS does not bode well for the expanded cut doing so, as the 4 disc release will carry more audio tracks thanks to the commentary or commentaries. I don't think the movie being spread over the first 2 discs (great idea in my opinion) will help things much either.

Dan

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Like Ron said, I don't know if I could hold out till November for the 4 or 5 disk set if the 2 disk theatrical version is sitting on the shelf for 4 months staring at me. I like to have the whole movie on 1 disk and I also like to always have the theatrical version of a movie. If the 5 disk has the theatrical version then I would probably sell the 2 disk and get that one when it comes in Nov.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks