What's new

***Official 'Fellowship of the Ring' DVD Announcement Thread (1 Viewer)

Randall Dorr

Second Unit
LukeB:

So you want all the extras but you don't care about a longer cut?

A longer cut (of any film) is THE extra.

I hate double dipping as much as anyone, but this is The Lord of the Rings. A (good) film of Tolkien's work has been anticipated for longer than some of us have been alive. I think we can give a little a buy it more than once.

And considering the hundreds of hours of behind the scenes footage that must exists, what's wrong with two whole discs of extras on the four disc set?

My thinking is that the August two disc will have (as we know) the theatrical cut + a disc of extras, and the November four disc will have the extended cut on two discs (with dts since three and a half hours on two discs is one hour, forty-five minutes a disc) and two discs with extras different from the August release. (Maybe something like a six or seven hour documentary spread across both discs)

We get both versions and three whole discs of extras.

Jeremy Conrad

Supporting Actor
For the collector's DVD gift set, Alan Lee, the illustrator for Rings author J.R.R. Tolkien, designed the box art packaging. Sideshow Weta, artists who created the theatrical visual effects for the movie, designed and sculpted custom bookends. The package also will include an additional National Geographic "Beyond the Movie" DVD with two previously unreleased featurettes and a photo gallery. The set also includes a set of exclusive, collectible Decipher game cards.

MatS

Screenwriter
"The studio said it will spend $65 million ($45 million for the initial release) to promote the three releases through a national TV and print ad campaign and with promotional partners"

save your money...give it to charity, medical research, or something

Jeremy Conrad

Supporting Actor
It won't be live for another five minutes or so, but here are the details on the four disc set that's going up on IGN:

Releasing November 12, the 4-disc Special Extended Edition contains an additional 30 minutes of the film not seen in the theatrical version.

Some of the additional scenes include:

More time with the Hobbits including a musical number. Extra scene further underscores the Hobbits sense of isolation and the growing realization that they can't ignore the outside world for much longer.

Frodo and Sam POV watching the elves going to the "Undying Land"

When the Hobbits are sleeping, Frodo is awakened by Aragorn's signing of an elvish tune that foreshadow's his relationship with Arwen

More at Rivendell with Aragorn

More on the departure of the Fellowship from Rivendel

More in the Mines before the cave troll fight

Gifting scene ... as the Fellowship leaves, Galadriel gives them each a personalized gift that will end up being critical to their future. Legolas gets a special bow, Sam gets some elvin rope that comes in handy when he faces a giant spider in The Two Towers, and a touching moment between Gimli and Galadriel.

The extended edition will likely receive an "R"-rating , not due to excessive gore but about 30 seconds of extra violence in the Battle of Amon Hen..

Jeremy Conrad

Supporting Actor
I have the soundtrack playing on my PC right now and I just keep reading over the features and looking at the beautiful box art....

WHY CAN'T AUGUST COME SOONER!??!?!??!

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
The press release on Link Removed seems very clear: the four disc set will only contain the extended cut (unless a seamless branching option is available and they're not telling us):
Two discs contain the film and the remaining two discs add up to more than six hours of additional content. Among the content will be Peter Jackson's commentary. More details to come on the exact nature of the extras content as New Line is still finalizing the details.

Anders Englund

Second Unit
The press release on Link Removed seems very clear: the four disc set will only contain the extended cut (unless a seamless branching option is available and they're not telling us)
I would actually prefer if the four-disc version didn't contain the theatrical version. Then I won't have to feel bad for buying both releases. There is no way in hell I'm gonna wait until november to buy it, when the theatrical version is out in august.
--Anders

Artur Meinild

Screenwriter
I would actually prefer if the four-disc version didn't contain the theatrical version. Then I won't have to feel bad for buying both releases. There is no way in hell I'm gonna wait until november to buy it, when the theatrical version is out in august.
I agree with that! :)

Anthony Thorne

Supporting Actor
DVD File and The Digital Bits also have lengthy spec run-downs listed, with some extra details on the deleted scenes.
Interesting to read that the 4-disc set will come in two different packages, one a deluxe 'leather book' volume (tentative), the other a larger package with the National Geographic LOTR disc thrown in and some sculptures and other physical extras included. I'm hopeful that the 4-disc set includes all the extras from the 2-disc version. My guess - the 4-disc set will have the commentary tracks (3 have been mentioned on the above two sites), some new extras filling up 1 of the 2 supplementary discs (in addition to the ones included in the 2-disc set) and the final supplementary disc devoted to the first installment of the much-discussed Costa Botes 'making of' documentary, probably running at something like 3 or 4 hours if the 'Frighteners' doco is anything to compare it by.
Jeez... couldn't they have at least made an effort, or something? :)

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
BLOODY HELL! I'm impressed.... Not only was I not expecting the theatrical cut release to be so well featured, look at the menu shots! They're glorious! I'm about to explode with joy!

God bless those who had the idea for the August DVD to actually have a trailer on there for the Nov DVD alerting everyone to it. Brilliant....

Dan

DanNZ

Auditioning
Is it safe to assume that the Region 4 release will be on the same day and have the same features?

I will be mightily pissed if this is not so, I may even have to give PJ a call and give him a piece of my mind...

Dan

ATTENTION: New Zealand kicks ass. Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences I spit on thee.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Dan, I don't know if every country in R4 will get it on Aug. 6th, but I seriously doubt New Zealand would be made to wait, what with being PJ's homeland, as well as the setting for the film.
And just in case us R4 stiffs do have to wait, I'll order the R1 set :D

paul o'donnell

Second Unit
Yet another "Cartman inheriting $1m" moment right there y'all. :D
Although I'll have to try my level best to get the august release a few weeks early because Im out of the country on holiday come august and there's no way in hell I'm waiting.
----
Liking the sounds of the deleted scenes that Bill mentions over at TDB too.
Rock on.

DanNZ

Auditioning
Yes DTS would thoroughly kick ass and if they're spreading it over two discs I'm sure space wouldn't be a problem.

Dan

Users who are viewing this thread