What's new

*** Official BIG FISH Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

MikeRR

Agent
Just curious, what did you guys think of the song that's plays during the end credits? It's called "Man of the Hour" and it was written by Eddie Vedder and performed by Pearl Jam. I'm just wondering because I've heard that it's a good contender for a Best Song Oscar nom, and I'm also a huge PJ fan :)

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
I have a pass to see it tomorrow night. I can't wait! This one pass alone was worth joining the Chicago Film Festival for.

If this doesn't win best picture, they should stop making movies.
Well, see, I'd feel that way if ROTK doesn't win.

Bob Movies

Stunt Coordinator
Sam - I cried like a ten-year-old girl at the end of this movie! I agree that it was just so beautiful and so touching that I couldn't take it! The other three people at my screening agreed... It hit us all really hard! (And I guess you're right, Sleepy Hollow wasn't nearly as bad as Planet of the Apes :))

I saw this at a Columbia awards screening and afterwards they handed out a 40 page booklet with information about the making of the film, interviews and detailed biographies of the cast, etc. Did they give these out anywhere else? I assume this is to give Oscar voters something to take home, to remind them of the people who were involved. Is this something that happens often when leading up to Oscar time?

Mike - I enjoyed the song at the end, I thought it fit the mood of the film well. Sometimes the entries in the "best song" category seem like they were just tacked on to the end of the film with no connection whatsoever, but that definitely wasn't the case for "man of the hour"

Bob

Sam E. Torres

Second Unit
my brother commented on the song, he said it sounded like eddie veder(sp?), but the band didn't sound like pearl jam. it was a very sweet song, and it surprised me to hear it in the end credits of a tim burton film...a welcome surprise, that is.

bob, i wish they would have handed out those booklets to us! the only souvenir i got was an extra free pass my friend had with the poster art for the movie! i hope they release a nice making of book for this film, as i would easily buy it.

MikeRR

Agent
...the band didn't sound like Pearl Jam
It's Pearl Jam. They've grown a lot from their early grunge days :) Ed wrote the song, but the rest of the band performs it with him. They've played it a few times in concert and it's available as a CD single on their website. Good to hear that people are liking it :)

From what I hear, it has a good chance for a nod because of a lack of a Disney song this year. It seems that the only other contender would be Annie Lennox's song for ROTK.

With that being said, this is my most anticipated film this year next to ROTK. It's good to see that Burton can still make some great ones.

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
Okay, since the film is released to NY/LA next Wednesday, I think it would be the best movie of 2003, not 2004. Don't you think?

Sam E. Torres

Second Unit
yes, 2003 indeed. the only other song i can think of that's up for competion would be "here's to love" from down with love...

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Getting 100% on Rotten Tomatoes. :emoji_thumbsup: Burton's my favorite director but I still haven't gotten my hands on a copy of Ed Wood. Netflix doesn't have it yet. :frowning:

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
No, more than wow. I don't want to talk much about the movie itself. It's something people have to experience for themselves, and the less you know going in, the better the experience will be, I think.

I will say something, in spoiler boxes, about the audience's reactions.

I'm not quite sure how this is going to play to the masses. I got my pass from the film festival, and because my husband is out of town, took my friend Michelle. We like sitting near the front, so we were 3 rows back. There was no one in front of us, but the theater was pretty full behind us. Maybe a couple hundred people, but that's just a guess.

Throughout the movie, I felt (and was right) that Michelle and I were on the same page. We laughed at the same places, we cried at the same places, we "wow"d at the same places. Because she was in such close proximity, I really didn't pay attention to what the rest of the theater was doing. My eyes were riveted to the screen (as was my heart).

At the end, when the screen went black, and Tim Burton's name appeared, Michelle and I both burst into applause. We were the only ones clapping. I was suddenly shocked back into reality. Some people say that applause at the theaters they go to is rare or non-existant. It's not like that in Chicago. If people really like a film, they applaud. This is just a clappin' kind of town, I guess. I couldn't believe the dead silence behind me.

Now, maybe they were all stunned with the wonderfulness of it all and will go home to rave about it. Or, maybe this crowd didn't know what the freak to make of this strange little movie and will go on to tell their friends and family "man, that was a weird-ass flick, it sucked." Who knows. I don't. I just know that it's odd that no one else clapped.

I also know that I can't wait to show it to my husband. He's going to Love. It. This is going to be a favorite film for years to come.

(My first 5 star movie of the year!)

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
Getting 100% on Rotten Tomatoes.
I was just there, and it's only 100% because the Hollywood Reporter and the Film Journal International reviews weren't rated. FJI didn't say much other than they didn't think it would be a very commercial film, but the Hollywood Reporter drips buckets of scorn on the film. A classic case of someone who (let me be the first, thank you) didn't get it.

Clint

Stunt Coordinator
What is the release date of this movie? I can not wait to see it here at the Windy City!

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Looks good.

Does anyone remember the name of the Yes song thats in the new trailer thats been showing on TV?

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
If this doesn't win best picture, they should stop making movies.
Now, now. I'm looking forward to Big Fish looking forward to Big Fish like nothing, but the year's not over yet. With wildcards like Return of the King and Peter Pan on the horizon, isn't this a bit hasty?

Still, I'm glad to hear that it's awesome. It's the first Burton project to get me really excited in a while.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Damn am I jealous of you guys. I am dying to see this and cannot wait for it to open hopefully locally here in SoCal. If not, I'll have to wait for a wide release in January.

Very happy to hear the very positive reviews. Burton is also my favorite director. Edward Scissorhands is my absolute favorite movie. Favorite director, actor, actress and music composer.

Peace Out~:D

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Wow. More people have seen it already than I expected! Good!

I just saw it tonight...and I really really really

loved

it!

No doubt this one makes my Top 10.

I'm a tough nut to crack, emotion-wise, but the end of this movie had me smiling and silently bawling at the same time.

I had to sit there and pretend I was focusing on the end credits so my critic pals wouldn't see my tear-stained cheeks.

I'm such a baby. ;)

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
I had to sit there and pretend I was focusing on the end credits so my critic pals wouldn't see my tear-stained cheeks.
Yeah yeah, I'll bet, like Sam and his brother, they were trying to hide their tears from YOU too. :D

I'm so glad you loved it. Yay!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks