What's new

*** Official AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I think TCM still shows the P&S version because it's the "uncut" version. The LBX version is the general release version. Of course, even the uncut edition lacks the intermission optical, the entr'acte, the exit music, and the extended Sioux scene.

TCM basically has to choose between a nearly uncut P&S version or a heavily edited widescreen version.

I'd write to them about it, though. They HAVE replaced older masters with new ones before... They're using the DVD remasters of Ben-Hur and The Adventures of Robin Hood now. Of course, they still use the mediocre laserdisc masters for Citizen Kane and North By Northwest.

(BTW, it looks like the new 80 Days has basically bombed... but the '56 version's DVD is selling very good)

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
Damn right! The budget was $110,000,00 or so and it has made $9,619,000 since it opened last Wednesday.

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
Damn right! The budget was $110,000,00 or so and it has made $9,619,000 since it opened last Wednesday.

Paul Linfesty

Stunt Coordinator

Not true. This version was cut in 1982 by WB and released in 70mm 6-track Dolby stereo. This was basically test-marketed, and proved to be a flop. WB actually wanted it cut to only 2 hrs, but the Michael Todd estate (E Taylor) allowed it to be "pruned" down to around 140 min.

Paul Linfesty

Stunt Coordinator

Not true. This version was cut in 1982 by WB and released in 70mm 6-track Dolby stereo. This was basically test-marketed, and proved to be a flop. WB actually wanted it cut to only 2 hrs, but the Michael Todd estate (E Taylor) allowed it to be "pruned" down to around 140 min.

Lee Ford

Agent
It's surprising that I'm seeing so many negative reviews for this movie. I was really looking forward to seeing it, but now I might not.

Lee Ford

Agent
It's surprising that I'm seeing so many negative reviews for this movie. I was really looking forward to seeing it, but now I might not.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks