*** Official AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Dennis Nicholls, Jun 15, 2004.

1. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
  2. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
  3. Brian Thibodeau

Brian Thibodeau Supporting Actor

If nothing else, I was glad to see another Hong Kong actor getting a break (albeit a stereotypical one, I'm sure) in this film. Just noticed the NYTimes review mentions "Karen Joy Morris" as the villainous General Fang. This is the rarely-used English nom-du-screen of Karen Mok Man-wai, whose been in a tonne of excellent HK pictures, including SO CLOSE and a couple of the YOUNG AND DANGEROUS films, not to mention plenty of others.

4. Brian Thibodeau

Brian Thibodeau Supporting Actor

If nothing else, I was glad to see another Hong Kong actor getting a break (albeit a stereotypical one, I'm sure) in this film. Just noticed the NYTimes review mentions "Karen Joy Morris" as the villainous General Fang. This is the rarely-used English nom-du-screen of Karen Mok Man-wai, whose been in a tonne of excellent HK pictures, including SO CLOSE and a couple of the YOUNG AND DANGEROUS films, not to mention plenty of others.

5. andrew markworthy

Let's consider the facts:

(1) the last few Jackie Chan movies have been dire

(2) Steve Coogan's work is very hit or miss

(3) remakes/adaptations rarely work when someone decides to insert a new sub-plot into the movie

(4) the movie is inevitably going to be compared with one of the most loved movies in cinema history (sure, it's not great art, but do you know anyone who actually hates the original?)

Prediction: train wreck.

Very very happy to be proven wrong (I have an enormous weakness for Jackie Chan) but otherwise I'll wait for this to appear on TV.

6. andrew markworthy

Let's consider the facts:

(1) the last few Jackie Chan movies have been dire

(2) Steve Coogan's work is very hit or miss

(3) remakes/adaptations rarely work when someone decides to insert a new sub-plot into the movie

(4) the movie is inevitably going to be compared with one of the most loved movies in cinema history (sure, it's not great art, but do you know anyone who actually hates the original?)

Prediction: train wreck.

Very very happy to be proven wrong (I have an enormous weakness for Jackie Chan) but otherwise I'll wait for this to appear on TV.

7. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

The NY Times is one of the exceptions (good review). This will come and go pretty quickly. Kids will like it I suppose because of the slapstick. Rent or buy the original film. It isn't perfect but it does have some great actors and a lot more "class". (That's a funny word when associating it with Mike Todd!)

8. Peter Kline

The NY Times is one of the exceptions (good review). This will come and go pretty quickly. Kids will like it I suppose because of the slapstick. Rent or buy the original film. It isn't perfect but it does have some great actors and a lot more "class". (That's a funny word when associating it with Mike Todd!)

9. BryanV

BryanV Stunt Coordinator

I think someone at Disney saw the obvious connections between Cantinflas and Chan.

From an American perspective:

Both are students of the silent film greats: Chaplin, Loyd, Keaton etc.

Both are acrobats with a circus performer like background.

Both were Massive stars abroad maybe the biggest stars of there time everywhere but the states.

Both were extremely wealthy and gave a lot to charity.

It may be that Chan saw the similarities between the two of them and wanted to reprise the role.

10. BryanV

BryanV Stunt Coordinator

I think someone at Disney saw the obvious connections between Cantinflas and Chan.

From an American perspective:

Both are students of the silent film greats: Chaplin, Loyd, Keaton etc.

Both are acrobats with a circus performer like background.

Both were Massive stars abroad maybe the biggest stars of there time everywhere but the states.

Both were extremely wealthy and gave a lot to charity.

It may be that Chan saw the similarities between the two of them and wanted to reprise the role.

11. Peter Kline

I just read a story that Disney didn't really make the film. Walden Productions sold it to them. It was a pick up. They had no creative input even though it looks like it was made in Orlando! The TV spots show a one sheet at the end with the voice over saying "Walt Disney's"..... Yet the Disney name doesn't appear on screen.

12. Peter Kline

I just read a story that Disney didn't really make the film. Walden Productions sold it to them. It was a pick up. They had no creative input even though it looks like it was made in Orlando! The TV spots show a one sheet at the end with the voice over saying "Walt Disney's"..... Yet the Disney name doesn't appear on screen.

13. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

A bit off topic, but I was wondering why TCM didn't show the Mike Todd film in its OAR last night. Usually they're extremely good about that sort of thing.

14. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "Around the World in 80 Days" please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.

All HTF member film reviews of "Around the World in 80 Days" should be posted to the Official Review Thread.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Crawdaddy

15. BryanV

BryanV Stunt Coordinator

Maybee they want to give people another reason to buy the DVD (and they should its awsome).

16. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

Since I've never seen them do it for any other widescreen film, that explanation doesn't make sense.

17. Jasmine Meathe

Jasmine Meathe Stunt Coordinator

I saw this movie last night and i definitely laughed at some parts... chan had some good fighting scenes. I would give it a B.

18. tyler payne

tyler payne Second Unit

I saw this film and thought is was very good. (Let me qualify this by saying I am Jackie Chan's BI**H. I could watch him do laundry for 2 hours and would say it was awesome.) That being said, it is not his best work, but it does have its moments. I really enjoyed the map travel technique used in the film. It was a very bright, and vibrant movie. The kids in the audience were eating it up.

I think the best part of this was that it didn't rely on Chan to carry the movie by himself. Coogan was good enough to be interesting as a character, and not just some guy who is sharing screen time with Jackie. I think that Jackie's physical comedy is wasted with people who can't match it. That is why I think Jackie rocks when he teams with Sammo Hung, and Yuen Biao. Neither of them are as physically funny as Jackie, but their skill helps Jackie. This movie did not rely on that aspect of Jackie. the approach was more of a, "Let's let Jackie do some incredible stunt, or fight, then have Coogan riff on it."

It was not perfect, but came across rather well. I know it's not saying much but this movie was better than "The Medallion", and "The Tuxedo" put together. (Though as a fan of Jackie, I will say that even those movies had a few good moments.)

The advertisers have it right in saying that this is the first Jackie Chan family film. I know that this movie is nothing compared to the original, but if you take it for what it is (an excuse to have Jackie travel the world in a movie) you could do worse.

I thought the cameos were decent. Some of the just seemed out of place. The Rob Schneider started of well, but fell flat. The Wilson Bros. were OK. Arnie's role may have been the best, but was still not that good.

Another gripe is that I thought that Karen Mok's talents were wasted in this movie. I would have loved to see her and JAckie get into an all out slug fest, but I'm sure they were trying to keep it kid-friendly. I also would have loved to see more of Sammo Hung.

If anyone else has seen this movie, am I right in saying it was an enjoyable kid-friendly flick, or m I just blinded by my love for Jackie Chan flicks?

P.S. I know as far as the original film goes, this one can't hold a candle to it, but taken on its own merits, I would give it a 6 or maybe 7 out of 10.

19. tyler payne

tyler payne Second Unit

I saw this film and thought is was very good. (Let me qualify this by saying I am Jackie Chan's BI**H. I could watch him do laundry for 2 hours and would say it was awesome.) That being said, it is not his best work, but it does have its moments. I really enjoyed the map travel technique used in the film. It was a very bright, and vibrant movie. The kids in the audience were eating it up.

I think the best part of this was that it didn't rely on Chan to carry the movie by himself. Coogan was good enough to be interesting as a character, and not just some guy who is sharing screen time with Jackie. I think that Jackie's physical comedy is wasted with people who can't match it. That is why I think Jackie rocks when he teams with Sammo Hung, and Yuen Biao. Neither of them are as physically funny as Jackie, but their skill helps Jackie. This movie did not rely on that aspect of Jackie. the approach was more of a, "Let's let Jackie do some incredible stunt, or fight, then have Coogan riff on it."

It was not perfect, but came across rather well. I know it's not saying much but this movie was better than "The Medallion", and "The Tuxedo" put together. (Though as a fan of Jackie, I will say that even those movies had a few good moments.)

The advertisers have it right in saying that this is the first Jackie Chan family film. I know that this movie is nothing compared to the original, but if you take it for what it is (an excuse to have Jackie travel the world in a movie) you could do worse.

I thought the cameos were decent. Some of the just seemed out of place. The Rob Schneider started of well, but fell flat. The Wilson Bros. were OK. Arnie's role may have been the best, but was still not that good.

Another gripe is that I thought that Karen Mok's talents were wasted in this movie. I would have loved to see her and JAckie get into an all out slug fest, but I'm sure they were trying to keep it kid-friendly. I also would have loved to see more of Sammo Hung.

If anyone else has seen this movie, am I right in saying it was an enjoyable kid-friendly flick, or m I just blinded by my love for Jackie Chan flicks?

P.S. I know as far as the original film goes, this one can't hold a candle to it, but taken on its own merits, I would give it a 6 or maybe 7 out of 10.

20. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    I think TCM still shows the P&S version because it's the "uncut" version. The LBX version is the general release version. Of course, even the uncut edition lacks the intermission optical, the entr'acte, the exit music, and the extended Sioux scene.

TCM basically has to choose between a nearly uncut P&S version or a heavily edited widescreen version.

I'd write to them about it, though. They HAVE replaced older masters with new ones before... They're using the DVD remasters of Ben-Hur and The Adventures of Robin Hood now. Of course, they still use the mediocre laserdisc masters for Citizen Kane and North By Northwest.

(BTW, it looks like the new 80 Days has basically bombed... but the '56 version's DVD is selling very good)