What's new

Official Apple 9/9 iPhone/iWatch LIVE Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
ManW_TheUncool said:
Map on a watch? Good turn-by-turn voice nav might be useful, but actual map display not so much I gotta think, especially since you'll have an iPhone w/ you anyway. Of course, if one can only rely on Apple's Map, then that's probably not so good anyway.

Wait. Google Now won't work on the Watch? Why not? Google stuff doesn't work seamlessly on my iPhone5c, but it's been tolerable enough so far -- likewise on the iPad.

_Man_
When the announcement finally came and pix of the watch were available, this particular one cracked me up. Oh yeah, I'm sure trying to view a 1" screen map will be tops of everyones list when trying to navigate somewhere. Odds are good that most folks would much rather utilize their phone map for such tasks,

1410383424000-AP-Apple-Event.jpg

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Yeah, you must not have actually seen the keynote. That image is about just what you say: What would suck to do on a 1" display, specifically pinching. That's the whole point of the rotating crown, it replaces pinch to zoom.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Depending on my work situation, I'm tempted to go early to the Apple Store tomorrow morning and see if I can buy an iPhone 6 on the spot. Though if I see a mile long line, I'll just order on-line. The trip is more to see the iPhone 6 verse the plus to decide which to go with. If the line is anything like my experience buying the iPhone 4 there, it took me 8 hours in line before I got into the store. And this isn't a flagship store. Though it is on the outskirts of Silicon Valley. So I was happy to order the iPhone 5 when that was released. :)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
My current company doesn't allow Android, which is why I switched to an iPhone5c. Don't really wanna lug 2 phones, and doubt they'd let me replace the company-provided phone w/ my own iPhone6/6+ to be used w/ company email and such. Otherwise, I'd probably get one for myself.

As mentioned earlier, will probably still get one (or more) for my mother and/or others in the family though...

_Man_

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
Yeah, I've never personally had an android myself, but have used a friends Nexus 5 this past winter and enjoyed it. I really like the "OK Google" and have all your notifications come up instantly. In addition, the specs of the average Android phone is consistently above and beyond anything that's in the iPhone. I used to say "it was about the ecosystem, and specs didn't mean everything" but lately I'm finding apple's ecosystem tired. And yes, features and specs are far ahead of what apple's offered. Ron posted about how the new iPhone 6 was essentially a 2012 Nexus (or was it a galaxy?) and that's spot on. Why should you wait so long for features to get apple execution when Google's "execution" is rapidly catching up to apple's?

Perhaps it's jut me looking for a change. and like I mentioned, I no longer have to be stuck to using iTunes now there are so many subscription services out there, many of them in Canada (notable exception of iTunes radio which has yet to make a dent up here).

I'd really like Ron to expand upon his reasons why he was so Android focused, as that could inspire me even further. Maybe it was the fact that my apple ID was my Gmail address, and other than trying mobile me a few years ago, I never really committed to the apple ecosystem. However, I don't know that would have made such a difference. Maybe it would be smoother using an iCloud address, iCloud apple id and iCloud iTunes address. I looked into renaming my accounts with apple but apparently it's not possible.

But yes, Google Now is more revolutionary than anything Apple's done in quite some time. I guess I've simply stopped drinking the kool-aid.

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
Just in case Google Now needs explaining, here's a video.

The video is old (from 2012) but thorough.

btw if all of you who that are interested in tech are NOT YET subscribed and watching this guy, please start now. Absolutely amazing tech review videos. He's received numerous awards including some top 30 under 30 stuff and is only (currently) 20 years old. Give him a watch. Baws!

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
btw when I refer to android, the only thing appealing to me is stock android. I don't want manufacturer or carrier bloat like touch wiz, sense, or similar. Give me the stock android experience on the nexus or google play editions please and thank you.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
ManW_TheUncool said:
Map on a watch? Good turn-by-turn voice nav might be useful, but actual map display not so much I gotta think, especially since you'll have an iPhone w/ you anyway. _Man_
It's the tap-tap directions that could elevate it to something better.

Tim Gerdes

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim Gerdes
McPaul said:
Here's an info graphic that Ron posted (first image of first post in the link) a few days ago comparing specs in the current iPhone 6 to the Nexus device from two years ago. Nexus devices, if you're not familiar with them, are far from high end.
Here is where I feel the different camps tend to talk past one another a bit.

Let's look at one of the examples cited in the linked chart, NFC Payments.

I don't think NFC Payments is a feature, and I suspect neither does Apple.

ApplePay is the feature. Now I am sure that some will scoff, "That's just marketing!" but it's not. Because ApplePay isn't the ability to pay for goods and services with my phone.

ApplePay, instead, is the ability to use my phone for payments and know that it's just going to work because Apple controls both the hardware and software. It will also work with fingerprint authorization which I have been happily using for a year, so I know it's going to be dead simple. It is also not having to worry that anyone is analyzing how much money I am spending and where I am spending it so they can better target their advertising to me. It is also having a market position, and a collected database of credit card numbers to make arrangements with banks and stores to have broad support from launch, so ApplePay purchases aren't merely a novelty.

Now, none of this may matter to you. You may think the idea is dumb or that Apple won't have any better luck with widespread adoption than other providers. But the feature itself is not the ability to make payments from the phone.

It is simplicity and privacy. Again you may not want, or need, for things to be simple. You may not care if your data is being analyzed and profited from.

But I think those who look at features outside of an entire ecosystem don't realize how much some of us, ultimately, hate technology, or more specifically "features". We want things to work. We don't want to tinker or customize.

I don't see payment as the feature. I see my time to do other things as the feature, and that Apple saves me my time by providing simple solutions that, more often than not, work well from day one. As always, YMMV.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
In Costco today I had a chance to check out the new iPhones. The 6 wasn't very big or any bigger then the previous iPhone. Only tall and not wide. Like the previous one. The Plus also didn't feel big to me. Not as wide as a Galaxy Note but probably as tall. The feel of the Plus was very nice. Very smooth and the little curve of the glass at the edge is really good. As for features I don't see what would make me buy this over a Note 4 when that comes out next month.

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
Tim Gerdes said:
Here is where I feel the different camps tend to talk past one another a bit.

Let's look at one of the examples cited in the linked chart, NFC Payments.

I don't think NFC Payments is a feature, and I suspect neither does Apple.

ApplePay is the feature. Now I am sure that some will scoff, "That's just marketing!" but it's not. Because ApplePay isn't the ability to pay for goods and services with my phone.

ApplePay, instead, is the ability to use my phone for payments and know that it's just going to work because Apple controls both the hardware and software. It will also work with fingerprint authorization which I have been happily using for a year, so I know it's going to be dead simple. It is also not having to worry that anyone is analyzing how much money I am spending and where I am spending it so they can better target their advertising to me. It is also having a market position, and a collected database credit card numbers to make arrangements with banks and stores to have broad support from launch, so ApplePay purchases aren't merely a novelty.

Now, none of this may matter to you. You may think the idea is dumb or that Apple won't have any better luck with widespread adoption than other providers. But the feature itself is not the ability to make payments from the phone.

It is simplicity and privacy. Again you may not want, or need, for things to be simply. You may not care if your data is being analyzed and profited from.

But I think those who look at features outside of an entire ecosystem don't realize how much some of us, ultimately, hate technology, or more specifically "features". We want things to work. We don't want to tinker or customize.

I don't see payment as the feature. I see my time to do other things as the feature, and that Apple saves me my time by providing simple solutions that, more often than not, work well from day one. As always, YMMV.
Agreed. I think you picked the one feature that will make this device stand out from the crowd. Google Wallet just isn't there yet, and not at all here in Canada. Apple Pay is a game changer for sure.

But there's no need to get emotional here. I have an iPhone and an iPad. I mentioned in my first post this week that I'm just thinking about getting to android after having used a Nexus 5 for some time last year. I'm excited for the Nexus x device coming out this fall and the One Plus One phone that is also out. Both of those have killer feature set, the latter of which killed any credibility by offering a limited production run based on invites only which will kill any and all demand for the phone once it comes out in November.

My comment stands. spec for spec, Google is generally a year or two ahead of Apple. it's apple's ability to execute that sets it apart. If I could have Apple Pay on top of android specs, I'd be happy, but both companies will always have areas they excel in. with apple it's execution, with google it's specs.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
McPaul said:
My comment stands. spec for spec, Google is generally a year or two ahead of Apple. ... with google it's specs.
Nope.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/7335/the-iphone-5s-review/5
http://bgr.com/2013/12/17/iphone-5s-64-bit-a7-processor-competition/
https://www.apple.com/iphone-6/touch-id/

Great Cameras, all around
http://www.imore.com/iphone-5s-vs-samsung-galaxy-s5-vs-htc-one-m8-camera-shootout

Chasing smooth UI and good battery life: Welcome to 2007, Android.
http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/27/project-butter-improves-android-4-1s-speed/
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/07/examining-project-volta-we-put-android-l-through-our-battery-test/
Granted, Android has lead for years on the Stylus spec.

These are all great phones. Hardware -- thanks to Moore's Law -- gets better every year. But to say that new iPhone categorically loses on a spec checklist against other new mid-range phones (let alone from two years ago) is nonsense.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
To whit: I bought Swype for my 5s an hour after upgrading to iOS 8. It's awesome I love it. I'm glad I've got it. Android has had it for 2-3 years? There are trade offs. Make your best guess at the right balance for your needs and enjoy :)

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
McPaul said:
No?

Here's an info graphic that Ron posted (first image of first post in the link) a few days ago comparing specs in the current iPhone 6 to the Nexus device from two years ago. Nexus devices, if you're not familiar with them, are far from high end.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/topic/334366-samsung-knocks-new-iphone/?p=4141275
That graphic is a little like comparing a picture of Rolls Royce Phantom and a Toyota Corolla...they both have 4 wheels, they both have 4 doors, they both have the engine in the front, they are the same!

-KeithP

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I was talking with my 23 yo coworker about Apple stuff. It was interesting to get a very different perspective on perceptions. She's thinks it was a terrible error, bad for Apple, where the U2 album was mistakenly pushed to everyone's computer. And she feels bad for U2, when Apple put out the special link to delete their album from your computer. The new iPhone 6 has a terrible problem where it's easily bent carried in your pocket. She's not buying a new iPhone until that's fixed. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks