What's new

Official iPad Event *LIVE* Discussion Thread 10/16/14 (CONFIRMED) (1 Viewer)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I'm sure with the CTO options the 5K iMac I will end up buying will be well over $3K (4GHz i7, upgraded GPU and all-flash memory rather than fusion). I'll have to save up a bit for that, but I'm definitely in.

However they just sold a Mac Mini to me with the update and price drop.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Wow. For a moment I thought they were gonna announce the Retina Macbook Air

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Apple store back up but no Retina iMac. Trust me...I am considering it.

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
Craig S said:
I dunno, is anyone really going to want to haul a full-size iPad Air around in a store and use it to pay? Retail Apple Pay seems best left to the iPhones.
Sure, it would be more convenient to use an iPhone but what if your iPhone model doesn't support Apple Pay? Or if you simply happen to be carrying your iPad for other reasons?

Given how focused Apple is on generating revenue, I think the only reason to leave it out of the iPad is to help Apple Watch sales. I know, I am crazy right? :)

-Keith

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
The new $499 Mac Mini comes with a 1.4GHz dual-core Intel Core i5. That seems like a downgrade even with the price drop.

-Keith

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Craig S said:
I dunno, is anyone really going to want to haul a full-size iPad Air around in a store and use it to pay? Retail Apple Pay seems best left to the iPhones.
People who carry around they cellular equipped iPads pretty much everywhere, and aren't upgrading to a new iPhone this year?

But, sure it isn't such a big deal, and the phone is a way more obvious device to use.

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
Was watching on the Apple TV stream. No iPad pro, retina iMac very pricey, looks like my wallet is safe. Nexus 9 looking more attractive despite weak looking specs. However I'm not spending money this year. However if apple pay was put on the new iPad i would be first in line for one.yep. That's all they had to do.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Keith Plucker said:
The new $499 Mac Mini comes with a 1.4GHz dual-core Intel Core i5. That seems like a downgrade even with the price drop.

-Keith
And no Quad Core i7, it seems like a spec downgrade but will bet it scores higher due to tick/tock via intel....

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
It seems Apple is perfecting the art of getting the users off the entry level devices by spec'ing them in such a way that makes the next step up more attractive. I think this is going to help improve Apple's already impressive margins.

Tim Cook, crazy like a fox.

-Keith

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Carlo Medina said:
I'm sure with the CTO options the 5K iMac I will end up buying will be well over $3K (4GHz i7, upgraded GPU and all-flash memory rather than fusion). I'll have to save up a bit for that, but I'm definitely in. However they just sold a Mac Mini to me with the update and price drop.
Craig S said:
My iMac is almost 5 years old. New Retina iMac is definitely in my near future.
You might find this comparison of Mac Pro vs iMac Retina interesting http://www.marco.org/2014/10/16/retina-imac-vs-mac-pro

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Thanks, Dave, that was a good read. I think Marco is spot on. I'd be buying the same config he was looking at - 4 Ghz i7, 16 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, upgraded graphics. With my corporate discount it will run about $3200. I will also need to add the cost of a good external optical drive (yes, I still buy & rip CDs - lossless rules!).

I think I may wait a couple of months though, maybe until after Christmas. This seems to be pretty untested display technology, and it may be a good idea to let some other settlers take the arrows this time... :)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Since I'm going to have to let my finances recharge a bit in order to spring for a $3K+ iMac 5K (that build Marco recommends is the one I was going to go with, but I get an academic discount of about $200 off that price) I will be really interested when sites like barefeats.com starts benchmarking the machine. Apparently Apple is doing some trickeration to get the current Displayport spec to drive the 5K display using only one TCON (see AnandTech's article for smarter people than me explaining that). Just want to make sure that the new AMD R9 295X graphics card can really, truly drive that 5K display well. As I said previously, I'm not a gamer, so I don't need crazy FPS with FSAA enabled at high resolutions, but I do some light video editing at up to 1920x1080 resolution, advanced photo editing working with 25MB RAW files, and I just need to know that a $3.5K investment is going to hold up over the years. Since the AMD 295 isn't publicly available yet, there are no specs on its capabilities.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks