What's new

Official Apple 9/9 iPhone/iWatch LIVE Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
During the keynote it was said the Apple Watch would require an iPhone. Looking at Apple's site, the only differences I am seeing between the models are cosmetic. What did I miss? Has Apple indicated that some of the watch models won't require an iPhone? I am not seeing it.

-Keith

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Ronald Epstein said:
What a stupid article, but I'm not surprised. After seeing all of these completely made-up fantasy designs all over the web for the last several months, I knew there would be idiots complaining that the real thing looked more prosaic.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Keith Plucker said:
During the keynote it was said the Apple Watch would require an iPhone. Looking at Apple's site, the only differences I am seeing between the models are cosmetic. What did I miss? Has Apple indicated that some of the watch models won't require an iPhone? I am not seeing it.

-Keith
All of them need to be paired with a phone.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Patrick_S said:
I watched this internally and it was the same experience for me as it was for all of you. On the other hand the Caffe viewers had no problems what so ever.

Doesn't really matter, everyone can always go back and watch the taped version.

Ooooh, an insider decloaks! =) Which one are you getting Patrick?

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I knew there would be idiots complaining that the real thing looked more prosaic.
Ummm, because it does. :)

I don't really have a dog in the fight, but I guess I was expecting something a little bit more revolutionary. Of course, that is easy for me to say since I'm not responsible for designing the darn thing. The design doesn't blow me away, but hey it is just an opinion. I'm not in the market for this type of device, so this post is worth about $0.00. :)

- Walter.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
The iPhone 6 reveal this time felt like a less important release for Apple. The leaked images and info probably wasn't as big a deal to Apple it seems, or may be without Jobs to enforce the secrecy, it wasn't as possible to keep it secret. So the Apple Watch announcement was the real star of the show! And it felt like that was Apple's real interest today.So it wasn't just me that kept loosing the connection while watching this morning via my iPad. I thought my company was blocking me from seeing it! And I heard the translator too and wondered what that was. I had to go back to work as soon as the announcement was over and was in meetings all afternoon. So I'll he reading up the details of both devices. My main question is 4.7 or 5.5. My iPhone 5 contract is done and I'm free to upgrade. I took a look at the iPod touch last weekend and I'm not surprised by the new design of the iPhone 6. It's well within the design language they've established. I can't say I'm thrilled by the new industrial design, my profession by the way, but I bet it looks better in person. The radiused edge of the glass is cool and something every designer tries and is never allowed because it's too hard or expensive to do. The lines in back required to separate the metal for antennas is the main part I want to see in person because I'm not sure I like the implementation. It might disappear in the dark color. I'm glad that Apple is offering cases in the two material options.I hope they have some iPhone 6's in stores to look at before preorders start to decide which size.The Apple Watch is a lot more then I imagined and I'm glad to see they thought it out so well. I'm on the fence on that one. My main interest would be to use for my bike rides and training on my stationary bike. So I'll have to read up on it. And I'm glad they called it Apple Watch and not iWatch. I imagine the "I" prefix will go away and the Watch and phone will sometime combine. The other thing we noticed is the iPod Classic is gone! I was holding off buying one. I wanted to get one before they are gone so now I hope the stores still have them unless Apple pulled all the stock. Then there's Best Buy or other retailers to get one. Even though I'll get the 128gb iPhone 6, I still want an iPod Classic.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
These smart watches are dumb and people who buy them are big stupidheads...and why oh why do I want one so badly now?!?!There's only one thing to do now: I have to quit my job, change careers, move into a field where I can wear an Apple Watch.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I was stunned by the Apple Watch. Apple's evolution is apparent: Vast user customization options, physics land software. Three nearly identical but different devices. Customized with wristbands and basic UI (watch faces with many options). Very silly, cartoony, over-the-top emoticons. The wild "universe" layout for apps, with semi-free form placement of circular icons. It's Apple, but it's not 2007 iPhone Apple.And most interestingly: a hard play for a network effect. Ping was utter failure. iMessage is the right idea, but emotionless. Everyone texts, but Apple can save you $5 a month on SMS charges. But sending "I Heart U" to the girlfriend? Bam, everyone girl wants her boy to get one to digitally woo her. Being to send little scribbles to friends and family is so intriguing. And now you have to get an aWatch because your friends have them. The UI: it seems yet again, Apple shows everyone how to do it. Everyone is trying to repeat the last go 'round on new devices. Apple actually rethinks it and makes crucial hardware and software changes. The charger: wow! The Android moto 360 requires a docking station; so awesome for travel. Apple gives a simple cable. Easy peasy. The fitness stuff..So bored, please wake me when it's over...Zzzzzz....The coup d'état is that jaunty Mickey Mouse watch face. That will sell the phone. If they make Pixar or Studio Ghibli faces, I'm sunk.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
iPhone 6: it has Old Man Mode (Zoomed interface vs standard) :D so I'll get one in a year.I look forward to seeing them at the store. Personally, I'd get the 6+ for the OIS.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
The coup d'état is that jaunty Mickey Mouse watch face. That will sell the phone. If they make Pixar or Studio Ghibli faces, I'm sunk.
Damn, Dave, you hit the nail on the head.

Once I saw that foot-tapping Mickey Mouse watch face, I was sold!

The best thing is that it seems they have opened up the platform to developers so it's going
to be amazing to see what kind of apps are built to enhance the phone. On the Android side,
there's a lot of developers creating apps every day to make Android Wear's watches more functional.
Welcome back to the light side, Ron
Clinton, I leave Android with much sadness.

I love my Note III. I love Android. However, Apple pounced them yesterday.

At least I finally get the large iPhone size I always hoped for. And iOS, as restrictive as it is, will be
much more compatible with my iMac/Macbook/iPad

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
It would appear the live feed was hosed up for everyone. I was also getting a translator overdub for about 5 minutes then I lost the feed entirely and was denied access to Apple's website for the remainder of the event. I missed it all and had to read about it later. I bet those responsible have been sacked.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Clinton McClure said:
It would appear the live feed was hosed up for everyone. I was also getting a translator overdub for about 5 minutes then I lost the feed entirely and was denied access to Apple's website for the remainder of the event. I missed it all and had to read about it later. I bet those responsible have been sacked.
Wow. Apple's biggest announcement since maybe 2007, and they bork the entire internet aspect. Just wow.I had seen nothing until I got home at 7pm last night. I went to the keynote page on my iPad 3...and it crashed Safari. Every. Single. Time. Double wow. Apple's web page for their biggest announcement doesn't work on their own mobile devices. WTF?Loading it on my desktop, I understood why: the page was a hundred high-res photos. A memory-hog photoblog that mobile Safari can't handle. A perfectly understandable goof for a team unfamiliar with Apple's iOS devices...And on my desktop, the keynote isn't available. It will be up "soon", the page says. Sure, the biggest BFG of Apple launches, only 8 hours ago...why would I expect it to work so soon. It's not like that YouTube site is able to post videos within minutes of an amateur's recording?Apple: Great hardware. Super software. Can't imagine why anyone doubts their web/cloud ability.Snark aside, by 9pm, that beautiful bean footage was rolling in HD on my iMac. And I've read that the iTunes Festival shows Apple can do high-volume, high-quality live streaming. In 7 years, maybe we'll get some behind the scenes stories about the watch launch :)

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Craig S said:
... I knew there would be idiots complaining that the real thing looked more prosaic.
Walter Kittel said:
Ummm, because it does. :)

- Walter.
Not arguing that at all. My point was it was kind of dumb that this guy let his expectations be set by these fantasy renderings - none of which would be actually wearable, IMO.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
So basically, they forgot to do "Testing... 1, 2, 3... Testing..." before the Super Bowl Halftime Show began... Got it... ;) :P

_Man_

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
Apple has vaguely hinted at battery life for the watch...
"There's a lot of new technology packed into Apple Watch and we think people will love using it throughout the day," Apple spokeswoman Nat Kerris said in a statement to Re/code. "We anticipate that people will charge nightly, which is why we designed an innovative charging solution that combines our MagSafe technology and inductive charging."

But sources who spoke with John Paczkowski went further, and indicated that the company isn't happy with the current uptime of the Apple Watch. One person said the watch's battery life is currently "about a day," and that the company is working on modifications ahead of its launch to improve it.
So I guess that means no sleep tracking?

Also, along those lines, I wonder if "about a day" includes the screen being on all the time? Thinking about it, a device like this is pointless (at least to me) if I have to wake it. I just want to be able to glance at the device and see the display.

-Keith

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks