What's new

Official Apple 9/9 iPhone/iWatch LIVE Discussion Thread (2 Viewers)

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
I think this watch will be more of a niche thing for quite a while, mainly for the "look at me" crowd and the over enthusiastic "fitness" crowds.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Keith Plucker said:
Apple has vaguely hinted at battery life for the watch...

So I guess that means no sleep tracking?

Also, along those lines, I wonder if "about a day" includes the screen being on all the time? Thinking about it, a device like this is pointless (at least to me) if I have to wake it. I just want to be able to glance at the device and see the display.

-Keith
Maybe they use some sort of face detection to automatically wake it whenever you look... assuming it has a front-facing camera?

_Man_

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
ManW_TheUncool said:
Maybe they use some sort of face detection to automatically wake it whenever you look... assuming it has a front-facing camera? _Man_
The Apple indicated that the screen turns on when you lift and rotate your wrist to look at it. Maybe it's a camera system. But it seemed clear that it's off except when you go to look at it.Additionally, notifications appear to only activate the "taptic" knock; the screen doesn't display automatically. I'm betting that's a battery saving tactic. Then, when you look at the watch, it shows you your notifications. Even the taptic description suggests energy efficiency. It's a tap on your wrist, inaudible to bystanders. That suggests it's not an inefficient buzzer, wasting energy on pointless sound, but a more efficient and focused mechanism. Maybe. :)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
http://stratechery.com/2014/apple-watch-asking-saying/In a footnote, he mentions a detail I also thought odd: the emphasis on accuracy. If you're like me, +/- 2 min is sufficient. Business meetings never start on time. Getting to a movie does not require 50ms accuracy. Joining friends with young kids...uhm...50min accuracy might be overkill... "In fact, somewhat bizarrely, Cook’s first words after the reveal were about Apple Watch’s accuracy:Apple Watch is the most personal device we’ve ever created. We set out to make the best watch in the world. One that is precise. It’s synchronized with the universal time standard and it’s accurate within plus or minus 50 milliseconds.What makes this so strange is that accurate timekeeping was the big selling point for Quartz watches. The Quartz crisis caused a significant decline of the Swiss watchmaking industry, but the primary reason for the success of the Asian manufacturers that adopted the technology was that they were so much cheaper. Today the watch industry is bifurcated between high end (relatively inaccurate) mechanical watches and inexpensive Asian offerings; I’m quite confused why Apple would be effectively aligning themselves with the latter, and with their first slide to boot!"

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
I'll have to do some research but the accuracy statements seems strange to me. Since the watch is not a stand alone device like a traditional wrist watch can't the Apple Watch just go out and sync itself often with the UTC server and those be accurate?

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Well, they *are* branding it the Watch, not iWatch, afterall... so it better be a good time-piece, not just some whiz-bang digital toy that can't tell time accurately for the serious aficionados out there... ;)

My question is why it's not also water-resistant to say 1000m w/ ability to capture decent photos and videos in deep sea low light (and then, search the net for all relevant info about what you just shot w/ GPS-tagged info to boot, LOL). ;) :biggrin:

_Man_

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
ManW_TheUncool said:
Well, they *are* branding it the Watch, not iWatch, afterall... so it better be a good time-piece, not just some whiz-bang digital toy that can't tell time accurately for the serious aficionados out there... ;) My question is why it's not also water-resistant to say 1000m w/ ability to capture decent photos and videos in deep sea low light (and then, search the net for all relevant info about what you just shot w/ GPS-tagged info to boot, LOL). ;) :biggrin: _Man_
Actually the branding name is Apple Watch.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Please?!?!Apple Watch Edition edition...it's like the Microsoft Windows Phone Windows Metro 7 Windows of Apple product naming.

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
I'll be switching away from apple this fall. I currently have a 4s and iPad Air. Have some experience with the nexus 5 already. While I love to see Rons over he top enthusiasm for this watch I don't think I would ever buy one and if I did it would be simple and easy Google now would be ideal for this. I'm waiting for the nexus x phone and HTC volantis 9" tablet. I love naked android. I am not really much of a tinkerer as I don't really get what can all be done to " customize android that you can't already do to iPhone. However I absolutely love the Google now and apple has no comparison to this. Previously the only thing really keeping me to iPhone was the oodles of $ I've invested into iTunes music but since Google all access became available in canada I've been using that for $8 a month. I know the quality doesn't compare to iTunes and the user interface isn't exactly what I'd like yet but it's a happy solution. I don't get having a separate button exclusively for that heartbeat/flower drawing function. I can't see myself ever using that. And wouldn't that further make people less emotionally available than they have with emoji? (I've recently deleted all emoji keyboards from my devices). I think that whole feature will flop. The watch is too complex. I'm not going to be scrolling through thousands of photos to find one to share on the street with a friend. I'll just want notifications. The screen will be too small to make maps or emails or web worthwhile. And if I were to use it for fitness I always run with music so I'd need the phone with me anyways because you can't listen to music for an hour with these watches. Ron I'm shocked that you haven't gone with the moto 360 if you want a watch. There will be many more android watches that will launch more frequently over the next couple years and I'm sure you will find an android watch that will equally impress. Oh, and the universe of apps, my fingers are pretty slim but I'm sure I'd be double pressing. Just let me swipe and that would work better. I totally get the idea of a crown. Watches have crowns. But I can't see myself using it in public like that. The so I've just downloaded this afternoon and I'm not impressed. It doesn't really offer anything improved on os7. The new phones are bigger but otherwise the same. The projected specs on the nexus x and HTC volantis show solid processing power, ram, camera, battery, and graphics and ppi. I love pixels and performance. Bigger improvements than 5s-6 improvements. The iPhone 6 is a catchup device. Nothing new. Android will soon leapfrog. Oh... Np and no wireless charging!I'll have to get used to android, and I'd appreciate it if you have any resources Ron. I appreciate your enthusiasm, but I believe if you give it a moment to sink in, you'll come to the same conclusion. While I watched the keynote (on the replay later that afternoon as the first time didn't woek for me either) I was really excited too. That excitement quickly waned. Oh... Apple pay could be awesome. Google wallet still isn't available in canada but canada seems to have a greater adoption of nfc terminals. This would be one thing I'll be very jealous of, but I think I can tough it out some more until Google completes their payment system. Cheers!

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
But I will be buying a 4k iMac to use alongside my retina mbp. Apple computers versus windows = no contest whatsoever.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
McPaul - great elaboration on why you're switching back to Android. :) In another thread I asked what Android has now that Apple doesn't. It take it, your answer would be "Google Now".
McPaul said:
I don't get having a separate button exclusively for that heartbeat/flower drawing function. I can't see myself ever using that. And wouldn't that further make people less emotionally available than they have with emoji? (I've recently deleted all emoji keyboards from my devices). I think that whole feature will flop.
This feature is the most intriguing, perplexing, and unknown aspect of the new watch. Apple eschews unnecessary buttons, and yet here is a specific and dedicate button. It's so important in their ddesign, that they break the symmetry of the watch ust for it. Why? Just to sent pizza doodles? I don't know. I believe they're going for a major network effect and have some big hopes and ideas for it. But I have no idea if it will succeed, or be the next Ping.
McPaul said:
And if I were to use it for fitness I always run with music so I'd need the phone with me anyways because you can't listen to music for an hour with these watches.
Why not? If the watch has a modicum of storage, it can hold a few hours of music, playable over bluetooth headphones. This is rumored to be be a selling point for sports / fitness use.The map use is intriguing. This has potential for tourist use, navigating cities without bumping into strangers walking while trying to read a phone screen.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Map on a watch? Good turn-by-turn voice nav might be useful, but actual map display not so much I gotta think, especially since you'll have an iPhone w/ you anyway. Of course, if one can only rely on Apple's Map, then that's probably not so good anyway.

Wait. Google Now won't work on the Watch? Why not? Google stuff doesn't work seamlessly on my iPhone5c, but it's been tolerable enough so far -- likewise on the iPad.

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks