What's new

Apple 2016 iPhone/Watch Event Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Gotta question. Appreciate personal experience or links to good articles:

What's the difference between in-camera digital zoom on the iPhone 7+ and taking a native photo with the "telephoto" lens and digitally zooming in iPhoto or even Photoshop?

Convenience

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
My series 2 black steel has shipped, will be here tomorrow

I got the 42mm Black Steel as well, Sam. Mine ships next week as I ordered the iPhone 7 Plus first --- and that won't ship for another 2 weeks at least.

You will LOVE the watch.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
The reports are coming out that if you want to get an iPhone 7 Plus by walking into a store, forget it! The model that's most new, Jet Black plus is the most demanded one. All stock has been reserved.

I was hoping to wait in line and see if I got lucky. Preorders don't ship till November.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Convenience
To be picky: do you actually know from direct comparisons with the new iPhones or from a technical review? Or are you guessing?

I'm technically interested in whether Apple is processing both sensors simultaneously, making use of the raw imagery, and other image processing techniques to achieve a digital zoom that is higher quality than what you get from iPhone zooming the output JPG from the telephoto lens.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
So I put in my order and I have a question.

Every apple device I have had including my current iPad Air 2 saw the cables break with light use.

Since there's no wireless charging, I think I'd like a dock for it.

The apple dock is $60 which seems expensive. Can anyone recommend an alternative?

Paul, I have multiple iPads and an iPhone 6 and 5 and 4 before. I've never broken or worn out a USB or Lightning cable. I've never used a dock either. Maybe it's the way you're plugging and unplugging the cables?

I also have been using iOS devices since the 3gs and have never broken a cable or had one fail.

I haven't personally broken any (that I'm aware), but then again, I'm probably quite a bit more careful than the avg user -- I also haven't cracked nor significantly scratched any smartphone (or tablet) screens either even though I don't use screen protectors and generally just use minimalist cases, not Otterbox tanks.

Yet there are plenty of broken/malfunctioning wires and connectors (and lost ones as well) around my household (plus an occasional cracked screen), and it seems like a common enough issue for the avg user.

Maybe HT enthusiasts are just more likely to take better care of such things than the avg user? Certainly why I always consider buying used to save some $$$ on quality audio gear...

_Man_

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
There might be extra processing, I dunno. Most people are never ever ever even going to crop a single photo based on what I see f&f post, so convenience rules

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Day two with the watch. It's ok on my flabby arms, no worse than my Tag. Yesterday raise to view was a little hinky but seems better today. Strange that text messages aren't coming through by default, need to fix that.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Day two with the watch. It's ok on my flabby arms, no worse than my Tag. Yesterday raise to view was a little hinky but seems better today. Strange that text messages aren't coming through by default, need to fix that.

Been awhile since I set up my watch, but you do have to go into the watch app on the phone and set up the notifications you want, individually.

Would highly recommend installing news apps like CNN and BREAKING NEWS on your phone so breaking news texts arrive on your phone. Turn on the those notifications.

For weather, try DARK SKY. Excellent app that sends you alerts when it is about to drizzle, rain, stop raining, etc.

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
My shipment has been pushed back to week of oct 7.

I am sad.

Went into the Metrotown store and of course they didn't have any.

I'm getting a black 7+128. Guess I'm waiting.

However, given what we know about the pixel phones and the Allo release, I'm much more happy about my decision to move back to iPhone.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for that website Sam. That's a great tool. This will be very helpful to check stock!

No stores in my area have any jet black iPhones. :(

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I'm questioning it myself since I'll immediately put it in a case. So you'll never see the Jet Black.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Only lost $25 on my Gazelle offer getting a new one yesterday, I sent it to em, will see if they honor the old one 3 days late or not.

Took 3 days but I'm now fully on board with the taptic button. No big wow.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks