What's new

Official 2020 Oscar Nominations Thread (1 Viewer)

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
I've got some work to do, I have only seen 4 of the BP noms (1917, Joker, Once..., FvF).

I guess I need to go suffer through Little Women, it's just not a story I really enjoy. I need to watch MS on Netflix, almost did the other night but changed my mind. I started The Irishman when it first showed up on Netflix but fell asleep and haven't revisited it yet. I don't think Parasite has ever played at my local AMC. I'm pissed at how my AMC treated Jojo Rabbit. It was only here for 2 weeks, the first week it didn't have a showtime past 5:30pm, the second week nothing past 3pm. With work and my family, I just couldn't make it to a movie that early in the day. I really wanted to see it though.

Once again, I don't see eye to eye with the Academy when it comes to original score but, I don't really expect to these days. I have nothing against LW and MS, just not what I would have voted for based on the albums. I do not like the score to Joker. 1917 and TROS are on my list of 5 best scores of 2019.

These would have been my picks for best score (in order of preference):

Nathan Johnson - Knives Out
John Williams - Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker
Thomas Newman - 1917
Joe Kraemer - The Man Who Killed Hitler And Then The Bigfoot
Michael Giacchino - Jojo Rabbit

Honorable mention to Tom Holkenborg - Alita: Battle Angel

There’s a list of snubs at another site that mentions Jennifer Lopez- some think she got overlooked for an Oscar nomination for her performance in Hustlers.
Others mentioned-
DeNiro for his role in The Irishman (he is nominated as a producer)
Sandler
Bale (Ford V Ferrari)
Beyonce (best song in The Lion King)

Hustlers was okay and J-Lo was fine but, I'm not sure anything about that movie is Oscar worthy.

I haven't seen The Irishman so, I have no opinion on DeNiro.
Don't get the Sandler love. I did not like Uncut Gems. Sandler basically just screamed at the camera for 2 hours in his traditional Adam Sandler angry voice.

Bale was really good in FvF but, I don't feel he was snubbed.

Please, about Beyonce. So tired of her fans who think everything she does is the GOAT. That was a forgettable song in a forgettable cash grab remake.

Last edited:

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I think Joker will only win two awards.
Actor and score.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
For me, there is nothing impressive about the score in Joker so, I hope any of the others win. Really pulling for Williams but, I doubt it happens. If not him, I'll pull for Thomas Newman and 1917.

Last edited:

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Once Upon a Time is the best movie I have seen in many years. Not that I really care about Oscar winners anymore. But I'm glad it is recognized and hopefully gets those that skipped it to get interested in viewing it.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Joker was the worst movie I saw all year. I absolutely hated it. Pretentious Scorcese pastiche masquerading as art with a tangential and nonsensical relationship to the comic material done in order to market it as commerce. Cynical, soulless, and total bullshit on multiple levels. I can sort of understand why it made a billion dollars -- there's an audience out there to identify with a disaffected and socially inept protagonist (although they should just watch Taxi Driver instead of wasting their money on this dreck). But 11 nominations including screenplay, and director? It feels like a rating ploy. Either that or there are a lot more incels in the Academy than I thought.

Nice! That is exactly what I thought going by the trailers, and short scenes I saw. The movie looks like a joke. No way in Hell I would ever give that garbage the time of day.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Nice! That is exactly what I thought going by the trailers, and short scenes I saw. The movie looks like a joke. No way in Hell I would ever give that garbage the time of day.
How can you call it garbage if you haven't seen it? No offense Bryan but I’ll never understand this line of thinking.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
For me, there is nothing impressive about the score in Joker so, I hope any of the others wins. Really pulling for Williams but, I doubt it happens. If not him, I'll pull for Thomas Newman and 1917.
I’m rooting for 1917 but I did enjoy the moody Joker score.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
With nine BP nominees, and only five Best Directing slots, they have to leave out someone.

Gerwig was nominated for Screenplay, so perhaps that's where she'll be recognized.

The bigger mystery for me is how Ford v. Ferrari got a BP nom, but only a couple other technical noms. No acting? No directing? No screenplay? How does it get to be BP without any other recognition in those areas? Probably for some of the same reasons I just noted above here, but still you'd think it would break through in one other major category if it was that well-liked.

Last edited:

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
How can you call it garbage if you haven't seen it? No offense Bryan but I’ll never understand this line of thinking.

I knew this was coming.

The answer is this Tino. You don't have to watch a movie to determine if it is not for you.
There could be a film about train wrecks in slow motion. To me that would be a garbage concept, and I would never watch it. Stupid movie. Just my opinion. Others may love it. Because I hate the concept and think it is silly/bad, does not reflect what others feel about the same film. Joker may be brilliant to some people. More power to them.
I hate the concept, therefore I will never watch it. I think it is a terrible idea for a movie.
I will not spend two hours of my life viewing something I hate going into.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Hopefully JoJo Rabbit gets a digital release before the Oscars since I fell asleep during it and it is out of theaters near me. I was tired going into it so I'll give the movie the benefit of the doubt that it wasn't the movie that didn't interest me.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I knew this was coming.

The answer is this Tino. You don't have to watch a movie to determine if it is not for you.
There could be a film about train wrecks in slow motion. To me that would be a garbage concept, and I would never watch it. Stupid movie. Just my opinion. Others may love it. Because I hate the concept and think it is silly/bad, does not reflect what others feel about the same film. Joker may be brilliant to some people. More power to them.
I hate the concept, therefore I will never watch it. I think it is a terrible idea for a movie.
Probably because some of us disagree with you labeling a movie that doesn't fit your film taste "garbage". Not to admonish you in any way, but I don't like that term and wouldn't use it for movies that I don't have any interest in seeing because it doesn't fit my film preference.

IMO, words used to disparage something or someone like "hate", "garbage" and etc. is used much too often in today's society. Anyhow, I'm done as I'm not trying to debate the issue by derailing this thread. Carry on!:D

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I knew this was coming.

I get not seeing it for all the reasons you stated Bryan. I really do. My issue was the definitive “garbage” statement which imo can only be applied if you’ve actually seen the film.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Hopefully JoJo Rabbit gets a digital release before the Oscars since I fell asleep during it and it is out of theaters near me. I was tired going into it so I'll give the movie the benefit of the doubt that it wasn't the movie that didn't interest me.
I’m sure it will be back in theaters this weekend, as all the nominated BP films will be eventually before the Oscars.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Kinda bummed at the lack of noms for Knives Out. I was hoping it would have done better than the lone nomination for Screenplay, which I hope it wins. Gonna be tough to beat Quentin tho.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Kinda bummed at the lack of noms for Knives Out. I was hoping it would have done better than the lone nomination for Screenplay, which I hope it wins. Gonna be tough to beat Quentin tho.
So you think Quentin will get his 3rd original screenplay Oscar?

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Once Upon a Time is the best movie I have seen in many years. Not that I really care about Oscar winners anymore. But I'm glad it is recognized and hopefully gets those that skipped it to get interested in viewing it.
What I’m hoping for is Quentin gets a best director Oscar. Not sure if Hollywood is worthy of this though, and I haven’t seen the competing films.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
What I’m hoping for is Quentin gets a best director Oscar. Not sure if Hollywood is worthy of this though, and I haven’t seen the competing films.
He’s my second choice after Sam Mendes for 1917.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks