What's new

***Official 17th Annual HTF October Scary Movie Challenge 2016*** (1 Viewer)

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
The only reason that Ketchup chips are popular south of the border is due to no one outside of Canada knowing about Hickory Sticks! Our crunchy Hawkins Cheezies are the best too! OHHHH CAAAAANAAAADAAAAAA! Oh! My favourite bar is the gooey "Eat-More". not sure if you get that one in America either. Try it!

Sorry, back to movies. :lol:

whacky blacky

Second Unit
Real Name
shawn blackman
October 31
100. Apparition (2015) * New To Me 2/5 Watched On DVD

This is one of those psychological horrors involving a couple who plan on getting married and fix up a farm house. Things are cut short when a car accident takes the woman's life. The man is left in a screwed up state. The farm house they were fixing up has a spirit present which takes advantage of the situation posing as his wife. He meets another lady who he soon begins a relationship with. Before long he's living with his ghost wife who has a ghost baby as well and dating his neighbour.
This flick is just weird. We watch this guy go totally off the deep end then we try and figure out what's real and what isn't only to be fed regurgitated plots. The end to this one is even weirder. Just skip this flick.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Phase VII – The Scariest Things…

October 31: The Thing (2011) - 4 out of 5

A discovery in the artic has Norwegian scientists excited and they enlist the expertise of American expert (Mary Elizabeth Winstead). But their frozen discover wakes up. With the ability to absorb and mimic its prey, the thing they uncovered could be the end of them all.

This prequel to 1982's masterpiece, The Thing, covers most of the same beats as John Carpenter's classic and by all accounts feels like a remake, but fans of the 1982 film will identify the puzzle pieces that make this a prequel (setting the stage for Kurt Russell's visit to their camp in the original) - and the closing moments of this film lead nicely into the opening of the 1982 film. They just have to be seen together.

Where this 2011 film falters is in the creature effects, relying upon computer generated imagery to create deformed and bizarre concoctions versus the legendary practical effects that special make-up and effects designer Rob Bottin almost killed himself producing for the 1982 film. The capabilities of the visual effects allows those sequences to play with more frenetic action and energy. Practical effects by their nature can slow the action in a scene, but with that comes the need to build upon the horror and tension - something that the brisker pace of this prequel doesn't give enough space for.

Performances here are largely very good, with Mary Elizabeth Winstead's capable and assertive character proving to be the film’s finest. A very good film with flaws but one that has firm connections to what I consider to be the greatest horror film of all time, and that raises this film's stock quite a bit.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
October 31: The Thing (1982) – 6 out of 5

This is pretty much a cut and paste from previous years except to say that, besides the fact that it’s still on (but it’s getting late so I wanted to get this posted), I’m watching the Blu-ray version released from Scream Factory, pulled from a 2K scan of the interpositive supervised by the film’s director of photography, the legendary Dean Cundey. And it looks magnificent!

In the isolation of a remote Antarctic, a U.S. research team is unknowingly infiltrated by a creature that can imitate, perfectly, members of the group. No-one is safe, an no-one knows who is still human.

There's nothing better than finding a movie in your life that not only can you watch over and over again, but that it gets better every time you watch it. The Thing is just such a movie. John Carpenter's bleaker, bloodier remake of Howard Hawks' The Thing From Another World, is perfect on every level. A brooding, chilling experience as the researchers come apart at the seams (sometimes literally) trying to comprehend the grotesqueries of the creatures carnage. As they slowly realize that the thing can imitate, take-over people and blend in without detection, paranoia inevitably takes hold. The sense of dread in the unknowing and the sense of bewilderment at their isolation with such horror, gives The Thing a masterful sense of atmosphere. Performances are all solid, with Kurt Russell's gruff, natural but reluctant leader MacCready being standout.

The effects work by Rob Bottin is what ultimately pushes this excellent film into the status of legend. The horrific, creative, and intricate creations of warping, bursting, twisting bodies - dogs heads splitting open, chests becoming biting mouths, heads tearing away from their bodies and sprouting legs - astonish the senses and hold up far better than any computer generated imagery.

My earliest memory of watching The Thing was after midnight on a small, black and white television in the bedroom that my older brother and I shared. I must have been 12 or 13. Terrifying - and that's the highest compliment one can give to a film in the horror genre. Re-watching this classic I always fine new details to savor, and familiar moments to cherish. The pacing of this film should be taught in film courses. The focus on the creature effects - long, well-crafted scenes that are emotionally chaotic but stably shot so that the horror of what's on screen has time to sink in deep.

This is the ultimate horror film, and certainly John Carpenter's finest accomplishment. Perfect in every way.

John Stell

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Stell
133) 10/30/2016 Scooby-Doo! And Kiss: Rock and Roll Mystery (2015)
skull.gif
skull.gif
1/2 (out of four)

Scooby meets up with Kiss at "Kiss World" and they all team up to solve mystery of the Crimson Witch. Pretty good entry in the direct-to-video series has strong animation and a bizarre enough plot. KISS fans will probably like even more. I'm kinda indifferent with respect to them but I like some of their songs.

134) 10/30/2016 Octaman (1971)
skull.gif
1/2

Title creature gets mad when explorers steal his offspring, so he attacks. The film wastes no time showing us the monster. It's a pretty good looking monster except his mouth never moves. But the film runs out of creative ways to stage the monster attacks fairly quickly and the acting is a mixed bag.

135) 10/30/2016 Phantasm II (1988)
skull.gif
skull.gif

Picking up pretty much where the first film ended, Michael and Reggie make it their mission to hunt the Tall Man, aided by female psychic and lady hitchhiker. I want to like this series more than I do. But it falls flat for me time and time again. I will say that I saw this in the theater and the film's look on the big screen was terrific. Maybe these Phantasm films really needed to be seen under such circumstances to be fully appreciated.

136) 10/30/2016 Pumpkinhead (1988)
skull.gif
skull.gif
1/2

Widower loses his son in freak accident when city fella runs the kid over with his dirt bike. So Dad arranges for vengeful demon to exact revenge on his behalf. Old-fashioned monster movie with mostly likable characters, except for the punk who causes the accident. His reaction is over the top. But Lance Henricksen is great as the grieving father and director Stan Winston lays on the atmosphere.

137) 10/31/2016 I, Madman (1989)
skull.gif
skull.gif
skull.gif

Clever thriller concerns bookstore employee who gets caught up in the novels of Malcom Brand, Somehow her reading the stories has brought him back, and he's set his sights on her. Creepy villain, some stop-motion animation, and a neat ending add up to a mostly original thriller.

John Stell

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Stell
138) 10/31/2016 Killer Workout (1986)
skull.gif
(out of four)

A killer with an over-sized safety pin is stabbing people with it at gym. Co-owner Rhonda wants the killings to stop. But the police are useless. Pretty lousy, with scenes of women working out to bad '80s music alternating with poorly written dialogue and unimaginative kills.

139) 10/31/2016 Zombie (1979)
skull.gif
skull.gif

Lucio Fulci is a god to some but I find most of his films the very definition of the tail wagging the dog. Gruesome effects, including the infamous splinter through the eye scene. But the story is thin, and the camera lingers too long on the some of the effects work.

140) 10/31/2016 The Boogey Man (1980)
skull.gif
skull.gif
1/2

Young woman unwittingly unleashes killer when she smashes a mirror. Not bad slasher film combines elements of various films (The Exorcist, Halloween) rather well. Some of the acting is pretty bad though, especially brother Wily.

141) 10/31/2016 Tenebre (1982)
skull.gif
skull.gif
skull.gif
1/2

One of Dario Argento's best (and most coherent) films concerns American writer visiting Rome and finding his latest work has inspired a psycho killer. Can he solve the mystery before he becomes the next victim? Bloody, twisty, and twisted, this film offers inventive camera work and surprises aplenty. The Synapse Blu Ray is beautiful.

142) 10/31/2016 Halloween Extended Cut (1978/1981)
skull.gif
skull.gif
skull.gif
skull.gif

During the filming of Halloween II when a TV version of Halloween was being prepared, the makers shot several sequences to compensate for content that had to be edited for TV (nudity and some minor blood). Shout! Factory put this footage together with their HD version of the classic and thus the extended cut. The footage is concentrated before Micheal starts his attack. The result is it slows the first part down but ultimately the film still works its magic. It also creates a minor continuity problem in that Michael is shown to have written "sister" on his room's door before he broke out. But Loomis never even mentions this in part 1. This reveal was supposed to be a surprise.

143) 10/31/2016 Halloween II (1981)
skull.gif
skull.gif
1/2

This picks right up after Loomis looks over the balcony and is shocked by what he doesn't see. Michael continues his killing spree while Loomis continues his hunt. The problem with the film is that it lacks a strong lead. Laurie Strode is in a hospital bed for most of the film. But the atmosphere is still strong and the movie works for the most part.

Sandro

Second Unit
Rated * to ****

Kuroneko
Another excellent Japanese ghost story from the director of Onibaba with stand out cinematography. The film begins with a devastating opening scene and continues with s story of violent revenge photographed in a poetic, eerie way. Then it ratchets up the drama foregoing scares and the film ends up packing an emotional punch. Recommended.

I Am the Pretty Thing That Lives in the House ***
A nurse moves into a haunted house to care for a retired crime/horror novelist. In terms of story there is nothing too new here but the handling is very dry, literary and repetitive. Would have worked much better at half the length. Streaming on Netflix.

Frankenstein Must be Destroyed *** 1/2
Afer two weak entries in the series, Fisher and Cushing get darker and nastier and the result is one of Hammer's best horror films.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
OKTHORROR FEST:

Due to it being almost midnight, I'm entering two days worth of entries without screenshots (For now, at least! I may edit some in later?) -

OCTOBER 30, 2016

026 THE GHOST OF FRANKENSTEIN (1942) Sir Cedric Hardwicke; Ralph Bellamy; Lionel Atwill (Blu-ray) Universal Studios - New to me!

The first of the Universal features starring one of the "Big Three" monsters that really seems more of a "B" picture to me. While hard to pin down exactly, everything just seems to be a bit less, especially weaknesses in the script and story elements.

It appears the same background footage used for The Wolf Man (1941) opening titles was reused here:
026  THE GHOST OF FRANKENSTEIN (1942)  Sir Cedric Hardwicke; Ralph Bellamy; Lionel Atwill 01.png

There's a new Monster in the village of Frankenstein, and he looks a bit like Lon Chaney, Jr! ;)
026  THE GHOST OF FRANKENSTEIN (1942)  Sir Cedric Hardwicke; Ralph Bellamy; Lionel Atwill 05.png

As for the technical aspects of this 4k restoration, I believe that I may have spotted some halo effect in one of this film's very last shots. However, so as not to give away too much to those who haven't seen this title, I've posted the screenshot in the "Spoiler" button, so that others can weigh in with their opinion regarding this.
"Halo Effect?"
026  THE GHOST OF FRANKENSTEIN (1942)  Sir Cedric Hardwicke; Ralph Bellamy; Lionel Atwill 07.png

027 FRANKENSTEIN MEETS THE WOLF MAN (1943) Ilona Massey; Patric Knowles (Blu-ray) Universal Studios

The filmmakers seem to be making up for The Wolf Man's lack of facial transformations in the first film, this time around. While I know he isn't even almost the only actor to appear in multiple Universal Horror films as different characters, but for some reason, Lionel Atwill's seem more conspicuous to me. Ilona Massey's Elsa Frankenstein also strikes me as probably having had some influence on Terri Garr's Inga in YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN (1974). As it is especially with the 1930s wartime Universal monster programmers, this one certainly isn't lacking for plot holes and other various inconsistencies. However, I find plenty to like in this feature, and I always enjoy Lon Chaney's '40s era performances!

Even the opening title card is a thing of beauty on the new Frankenstein and The Wolf Man Legacy Blu-ray sets!:
027 FRANKENSTEIN MEETS THE WOLF MAN (1943) Ilona Massey; Patric Knowles 01.png

Lionel Atwill's unbroken late 1930s-mid '40s string of Universal Frankenstein Monster featured programmers continues, with him playing the local Mayor (Lionel played a Surgeon in the previous Frankenstein film! Man, he's a "Jack of all trades" isn't he?), this time around! From left to right - Lionel Atwill; Ilona Massey; Lon Chaney and Patric Knowles:
027 FRANKENSTEIN MEETS THE WOLF MAN (1943) Ilona Massey; Patric Knowles 07.png

October 31, 2016

028 SON OF DRACULA (1943) Robert Paige; Louise Allbritton; Evelyn Ankers (DVD) Universal Studios

The only other Universal Dracula title to not yet have a Blu-ray release (DRACULA'S DAUGHTER from 1936 being the other!), in my opinion, this transfer looks even more Blu-ray worthy, with the only apparent audio/visual tweaking that it could use (To my eyes, anyway!), is the elimination of the letter boxing around the opening titles.

Enough said regarding the letter boxing:
vlcsnap-2016-10-31-17h29m22s899.png

I actually quite like Lon Chaney's turn as "Alucard/Dracula" - Much better than John Carradine's, in my opinion!:
vlcsnap-2016-10-31-19h56m53s869.png

One thing that's missing from the new Universal Legacy Collection Blu-ray releases (See next entry for more details!):
vlcsnap-2016-10-31-20h05m39s904.png

029 HOUSE OF FRANKENSTEIN (1944) Boris Karloff; Lon Chaney (Blu-ray) Universal Studios - New to me!

Like the other four new 4K restorations that appear on the Frankenstein and The Wolf Man Complete Legacy Collection Blu-ray sets, this feature looks positively gorgeous! In fact, if I have one minor nitpick, it's the non inclusion of the Statue Of Liberty War Bonds ads that appeared after the End Credits for these wartime Universal programmers on previous Legacy DVD editions.

029 HOUSE OF FRANKENSTEIN (1944) Boris Karloff; Lon Chaney; John Carradine 02.png

On the road to Visaria (A common setting in these World War 2 era Universal Monster programmers!) to revive The Monster yet again! Left to right - J. Carroll Naish; Anne Gwynne and Boris Karloff, who received top billing in this film!:
029 HOUSE OF FRANKENSTEIN (1944) Boris Karloff; Lon Chaney; John Carradine 03.png

030 HOUSE OF DRACULA (1945) Lon Chaney; John Carradine; Martha O'Driscoll (Blu-ray) Universal Studios

Try as I might, I just don't really "dig" John Carradine's Count Dracula, as his facial structure seems totally unsuited to my eyes! But then, I do like Lon Chaney Junior's "Count Alucard," despite the fact that many Universal Horror fans find him so unsuitable - Subjective opinions abound!

As he did in every other Universal Frankenstein feature since the 3rd SON OF FRANKENSTEIN (1939) installment, Lionel Atwill once again makes an appearance, coming nearly full circle in once again playing an Inspector as he did in "Son Of," although without missing a forearm this time around! Sadly, by this time, due to scandal, Lionel was mostly working for Poverty Row studios, and would die only months after the release of this, the last of the wartime era (Although actually released just about 3 months after VJ day, in December, 1945!) Universal "B" horror features.

The last of the Universal "Big Three" Monster "B" programmers from the first Golden Age! Released December 7, 1945:
030 HOUSE OF DRACULA (1945) Lon Chaney; John Carradine 01.png

Lon Chaney finally receives top billing in a "Big Three" Universal Monster feature!:
030 HOUSE OF DRACULA (1945) Lon Chaney; John Carradine 02.png

John Carradine and Onslow Stevens. Sorry John, you were fine as a character actor, but I'm no fan of your Dracula!:
030 HOUSE OF DRACULA (1945) Lon Chaney; John Carradine 03.png

Frankenstein's Monster is revived one more time! Left to right - Jane Adams; Lon Chaney Junior; Onslow Stevens and Glenn Strange, in his 2nd of 3 appearances as The Monster:
030 HOUSE OF DRACULA (1945) Lon Chaney; John Carradine 05.png

Lionel Atwill (With Onslow Stevens and Jane Adams), back to playing an Inspector in this, the last feature to be released in his lifetime! (Although the 1st installment of the Universal serial LOST CITY OF THE JUNGLE (1946) which featured him, would be released one day after his April 22, 1946 passing!):
030 HOUSE OF DRACULA (1945) Lon Chaney; John Carradine 07.png

The End title of the final Universal Monster "B" programmer of the wartime era! Unlike the previous features, no Cast Credits followed this! Could it be that the so-called missing closing credits for a number of early post war (Late 1945 - 46, pre Universal-International Pictures merger!) Universal features simply never existed in the first place?:
030 HOUSE OF DRACULA (1945) Lon Chaney; John Carradine 09.png

Now, for a fun "Spoiler" below:
"Photo Evidence That Lawrence Talbot Is Finally Cured Of His Lycanthropy! Now, He's Free To Be A Different Kind Of Wolf! ;)"
030 HOUSE OF DRACULA (1945) Lon Chaney; John Carradine 08.png

CHEERS! :)

Last edited:

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
The Jungle Captive (1945) **

The third and final film in the series has a doctor stealing the body of Paula the Ape Woman and trying to fix her. This final film in the series is certainly a step up from the previous entry but it's still a rather bland movie. Thankfully the cast helps keep this one moving with a fine performance by Otto Kruger as the doctor and Vicky Lane fills in as Paula. Rondo Hatton is also on hand as Universal continued t exploit him. This film also benefits from a great make-up job on Paula.

The Brute Man (1946) **

Rondo Hatton plays The Creeper, a deformed man who seeks vengeance on those who destroyed his looks and his life. This here was released after Hatton had died from a heart attack. I guess Universal didn't want anything to do with it so they sold the film to a smaller studio. I'm glad to see Hatton's appeal has grown to a cult figure but I still think it's pretty sad that the studio exploited his condition. This movie here is a decent revenge thriller but it lacks any tension or drama.

Take Me Naked (1966) ** 1/2

A homeless bum (Kevin Sullivan) watches a woman (Roberta Findlay) in her room who is often naked. Soon the bum grows obsessed over her and it leads to a disasterous ending. TAKE ME NAKED comes from Michael Findlay and if you're familiar with his films then you already know that he often went into the roughie territory and that's exactly what this is. TAKE ME NAKED isn't nearly as popular as his FLESH films but it's certainly worth watching and especially if you're fans of this type of movie. The main draw here is that future director Roberta Findlay plays the lead role and really shines.

The Screaming Woman (1972) **

Olivia de Havilland plays a woman who is released from a mental hospital and on her first day home she hears a woman screaming from under the ground. Sadly no one believes her and soon they're thinking she's losing her mind again. This is an okay made-for-television flick that has a great cast (including Joseph Cotten and Walter Pidgeon but the problem is there's no suspense. We're shown the woman under the ground at the very start of the picture so this kills off any drama. I thought it would have been better had we not known whether there was a woman buried or if it was all in the woman's mind.

Halloween Is Grinch Night (1977) ** 1/2

This twenty-five minute television special is a sequel to HOW THE GRINCH STOLE CHRISTMAS but of course this doesn't feature Boris Karloff's voice sadly. As far as the film goes, this time out the Grinch decides he needs to return to Whoville and make sure they don't have any fun at Halloween time. HALLOWEEN IS GRINCH NIGHT certainly isn't the masterpiece that the original film was but to be fair one really shouldn't turn this on and expect it to be. For the most part this is a mildly entertaining special that will probably keep the kids a lot happier than their parents. Once again we're treated to some wonderful animation and there's no question that the Grinch character is one of legend. The major problem that I had with the film is that I didn't really care for any of the musical numbers. They were decent but just not good enough to hold my attention throughout the running time.

A Thousand Pleasures (1968) ***

Michael Findlay roughie has him directing and playing the lead role of a man who finally snaps and brutally murders his wife. He ends up living with a couple lesbians who are much sicker than he is and soon they bring out the torture. This is an extremely bizarre roughie that perfectly captures that underground NYC filmmaking. These roughies were coming after the "nudie cuties" and were before hardcore films took over theaters. I thought this film managed to keep you entertained because everytime you were shocked by something you'd get something even weirder. The performances were good and there's just an overall weird atmosphere on display here.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
The Exorcist (Director's Cut) :thumbs-up-smiley:

An actress and her daughter, Regan, are in Washington DC while Mom makes a movie. Young Regan suddenly begins acting oddly, getting progressively worse while every doctor in the city offers theories, but no solutions. As Regan's behavior advances to violence, to herself and others, Mom calls in a disillusioned priest to see if an exorcism might be the answer.

I decided to end this challenge with the gold standard of possession films. I don't think I've watched it for about 10 years and was rather surprised how well it holds up. There have been other, modern films covering the same subject area, but even with all the modern whiz bang effects, I'm not sure any of them even come close to this 43 year old classic.

This version was enhanced somewhat in 2000 with a few modern touches, but mostly to finish and include a couple of sequences that were beyond the technology of 1973 and a few other subtle touches. The sound design is amazing, obviously, since Sound Mixing was one of the two Oscars the film won from its ten nominations (it also won Adapted Screenplay, and was nominated for Best Picture). Very convincing performances from Linda Blair, Jason Miller and Max Von Sydow.

Oliver Ravencrest

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ron
114) Halloween (1978) :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

The Bogeyman is coming! Young Michael Myers kills his sister on Halloween night. 15 years later, he escapes from a Psychiatric Hospital and returns to his childhood home to kill again. Babysitting on Halloween, Laurie is stalked by Michael, while Dr. Loomis searches for his missing patient. Loomis believes Michael is pure evil. Watching this after seeing Rob Zombie's remake, I appreciate it even more for what Carpenter set out to accomplish. I hate the idea that Laurie is Michael's sister, which started in II. We don't know what his motivation is in this one. I thought he stalked her because she set foot on the old Myers home, while he was inside. Tommy was there and Michael followed him too. I love how Carpenter slowly built up the suspense through out the movie. All of the camera shots and the great score really added to mood. Oh, and I love that scene where Laurie, having found her friends, is crying and slowly Michael materializes from out of the darkness. Amazing movie!

TV: It's The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown- A classic

Happy Days: Haunted- While scoping out an old house for a party, Richie witnesses something strange and begins to believe the house is haunted.

Little House On The Prairie: The Monster Of Walnut Grove- On Halloween, Laura thinks she saw Mr. Olsen cut off his wife's head.

Oliver Ravencrest

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ron
Once everyone is done, everyone has until midnight their time to finish the challenge. Add up the point totals for what you watched. Here's how you score them from the rules on page 1:

Theatrically released films and short features count as 1 point each. Running times are irrelevant. TV specials (e.g. "It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown!") and individual episodes of anthology TV series (e.g. "The Twilight Zone") also count as 1 point each. For episodic TV series, 2 hour-long episodes (e.g. "Buffy the Vampire Slayer") count as 1 point and 3 episodes of 30 minute-long episodes (e.g. "The Munsters") count as 1 point

I won't be back online until tomorrow night, so take your time.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
My favourite bar is the gooey "Eat-More". not sure if you get that one in America either. Try it!

Naw, no Eat-Mores, although I have had them - a little too molar destroying for my tastes.

Despite being kind of rainy all day long, and despite being a Monday, the clouds parted long enough for my house to get a TON of kids. So only enough time for a couple of things before the end of the Halloweenathon:

129) Knight Rider: Halloween Knight (1984)
Pretty typical Knight Rider plotting, but really just an excuse to run around on the Universal Back Lot and shoot some stuff at the Psycho House and use some Universal Monsters stock footage at a drive-in theater. Dumb as a sack of hammers, but still a whole lot of fun. Plus one of the characters got to run around in a Halloween III pumpkin mask, with the Silver Shamrocks tag still attached (although sadly the mask didn’t dissolve his head into a writhing mass of snakes and insects.), and I love the eighties synth Bernard Herrmann psudo-Psycho score.
I give it 4 Feathered Hairstyles out of 5

130) The War of the Worlds (1935)
Did it cause a nationwide panic? Who cares - it's still an effective retelling of the original Martian Invasion. It gets a well loved place in my Halloween Night rotation
I give it 5 Grovers Mills out of 5

And then, to cap everything off. . . .

131) It's The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown (1966)
You gotta pity poor Linus. Here it is, 50 years on now and he STILL keeps getting stood up by the Great Pumpkin. I feel worse for Sally. Linus only has his unwavering faith to blame for his lack of tricks and treats, but year after year, Sally gets suckered in by his web of lies - even after she says "Tricks or Treats only come once a year and I missed because of you!" Baby - fool you once, shame on me. Fool you 49 times, shame on you.
I give it 5 Rocks out of 5

Last edited:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
You gotta pity poor Linus. Here it is, 50 years on now and he STILL keeps getting stood up by the Great Pumpkin. I feel worse for Sally.

I feel sorry for Charlie Brown. He's actually out there pounding the pavement for treats, rather than sitting around a pumpkin patch, but all he gets in his bag are rocks.

My total:

40 = 40 films/anthology (27 NEW)
9.5 = 19 hour-long TV series
1 = 3 half-hour TV series
50.5 Total Points

My List:
https://www.hometheaterforum.com/co...ary-movie-challenge-2016.349346/#post-4415000

Pretty good for me, just a couple points behind last year which was my personal best. I started off quite well, but kind of faded in the stretch as I got more into football and baseball playoffs.

My best new discoveries were The Haunted Palace with Vincent Price and Wolfen. The biggest wastes of time were The Devil's Tomb and Bunny the Killer Thing. Nothing this year that warranted an angry :angry:, though Tomb and Bunny were darn close.

I can't believe it's over. :( Though now I can start catching up on some non-horror stuff building up on my DVR.

Last edited:

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
This looks to be my totals when I add in the shows I watched throughout the month (not that many):

35 films = 35 Points (15 of which were first time viewings)
10 hour-long TV series = 5 Points
Total = 40 Points

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
10/31:

35) Frankenstein (1931) - BRD (2012) - 4/5 stars

One of the best horror films ever made, thanks to a creepy, over-the-top performance by Colin Clive and an achingly poignant turn by Boris Karloff as The Monster. I thought this would be a great way to cap my marathon, and I wasn't wrong.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
I feel sorry for Charlie Brown. He's actually out there pounding the pavement for treats, rather than sitting around a pumpkin patch, but all he gets in his bag are rocks.

I'm wondering what the hell kind of neighborhood does Chuck live in where all the adults hand out rocks to children? Those are some serious stone cold muthafuckers!

I fully expect Charlie to be voted "Most likely to climb a clock-tower with a high powered rifle" in his high school yearbook.

Totals: 143 total points with 47 first time viewings. Detail is on page 1 of the thread.

Dear god, where did you find time to watch all that? I was going balls to the wall, and I didnt even come close!

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Got in two more last night to finish up the challenge. I'll count them all up into points later.

103 10/31 The Paul Lynde Halloween Special (1976) Youtube 2/5
After hearing about this one for years I finally gave it a watch. I have zero nostalgia for Paul or the 70’s, so my interest was only out of the cult/campy aspects. It’s simply bad. Painful skits, painful jokes, Kiss rock and are hilarious and yeah, it all adds up to being weird. It’s still not any good.

104 10/31 The Initiation (1984) Bluray 3/5
The latest from Arrow arrived in my mailbox so I gave it a spin. It’s an okay slasher but nothing special despite one of the most convoluted plots I’ve encountered yet. An amnesiac college girl is being stalked by a killer from her past, only it’s way more complicated.

I was hoping to end the challenge with a first time viewing of the TV cut of "Army of Darkness" but Initiation put me to sleep after a long day at work and handing out candy. If I had an earlier start I could of done it! Damn!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks