What's new

***Official 17th Annual HTF October Scary Movie Challenge 2016*** (1 Viewer)

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
WTF?!?!? Only sixth place?!?! You all cheated! I demand a recount?!?!? Where's my mommy?!?!!

Nice job everyone on watching all those movies! Next year I'm going to quit my job and top Michael's 149. JUST YOU WAIT AND SEE! :laugh:

Thanks for taking the time with hosting and rounding this all up Oliver! No fights this year! A scary movie love fest! aren't we great? :rock:

Oliver Ravencrest

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ron
You could top his 149, you don't need to sleep, right?:D:P

I'm removing myself from the final official ranking when posted.

John Stell

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Stell
If I were single, I could have added at least another one film a night (i.e. 31 films) to my total. And then even more on the weekends!

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I'm going to quit my job and top Michael's 149. JUST YOU WAIT AND SEE! :laugh:

The key is to get a job in an office where you CAN watch movies. To be fair, without this advantage I wouldn't have been in first. I haven't done an exact count but I'm willing to say that at least 40 were viewed at work. Having a three-month-old also helps since she does nothing but sleep, eat and sleep.

I notice a lot of "24 hour Festivals" popping up around the country and I'd really like to try one. Just as a test to see how long you could stay awake and how many films you could watch. Or, just going through a series of some sort in one sitting. My girlfriend is cool with the genre so she doesn't mind watching them. However, she's kinda strange because she asks me to put on violent/gory movies yet she looks away from the stuff she asked to watch! THE BURNING had her eyes behind a pillow the entire time.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I hear you Michael. I used to be able to sneak in a movie every two days, watching 45 minutes during lunch. Works changed (got busy) so I don't have time. Too many interruptions haha. I also get a but screwed up in the evening since I look after my mum in the evenings so force her to watch "mum appropriate" scary movies. I shouldn't make her watch ANY scary movies, but I'm a prick. :D I also got some wrong, I try not to watch anything gory with mum so "Eyes Without A Face" tricked me. Who knew you'd see a face come off in a french art film from 1961 or whatever!:lol:

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Oh, also, no 24 hour fests by me, yet. We do have a week long horror fest at our one independent theater though. I keep meaning to go, but then think it will screw up my numbers because it's two movies with about 90 minutes minimum travel time. that's a whole movie! :D

they do have some cool films they show though.
http://media.wix.com/ugd/aaf172_48681c7fda6a4ec4b18330f57134b942.pdf

They also host one night a month, and starting November they're adding a second night a month featuring female directors. Curious about that too.

Sandro

Second Unit
I hadn't heard of Francesca until I saw it on this thread but I am definitely interested in seeing it now. Sonno Profondo is not a typical giallo - more of an art film deconstruction of one - but it uses all the usual ingredients. It's also short (65 mins) which is always welcome.

Oliver Ravencrest

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ron
Sorry about the long delay, I'm officially declaring Michael Elliot the winner of this Challenge.

1) Michael Elliot 149
2) John Stell 143
3) Tony J. Case 131.5

Whacky Blacky had the most new movies viewed with 100.

Michael, if you so choose, you can run the next Challenge this October. If you don't want to then anyone else can. Thanks to everyone who participated.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
This will be my first challenge in Hi-Def. I have projector and AVR upgrades since last year. Scares and gore in 1080p (and possibly 3D, if I ever order the damn glasses). :eek: :D

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Looking forward to it, though I expect to be posting lower numbers than next year. Going to be going to the local 4 day horror film festival for over one of the weekends so the travel will cut down on my viewing haha. Will be a nice change from my usual challenge though.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
My way of dealing with this in October will be to broaden what might be considered "horror" as I have approached this in previous years as the traditional type of film...monsters, slashers, ghosts, witches, and Satan himself. So, horror of the supernatural or phantasmagorical variety. Maybe this year I will consider human horror...like maybe Wall Street is a horror movie about the horror of human greed and how it can consume people and turn them into monsters you might walk up to on the street. Maybe Sicario or Traffic are horror films about what drugs do to our country. Perhaps The Wolf of Wall Street is a real werewolf movie about a man changing and devouring everything around him.

This could work right?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks