What's new

***Official 17th Annual HTF October Scary Movie Challenge 2016*** (1 Viewer)

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
My totals are pretty easy 131 entries, 126 movies, three TV shows (plus one concert, a PPV and a radio play) for a grand total of 131.5 points.

New To Me: 67
Best movie? The original Halloween.
Best So Bad It's Good movie? Troll 2
Worst movie? Ghostbusters '16
Most Watched Horror Icon: Vincent Price
Movies For Next Year: Far, far too many.

Last edited:

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
103 10/31 The Paul Lynde Halloween Special (1976) Youtube 2/5
After hearing about this one for years I finally gave it a watch. I have zero nostalgia for Paul or the 70’s, so my interest was only out of the cult/campy aspects. It’s simply bad. Painful skits, painful jokes, Kiss rock and are hilarious and yeah, it all adds up to being weird. It’s still not any good.

Yeah, but you have to love the idea that The Wicked Witch of the West and Witchiepoo are sisters. That's brilliant!

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
I got nine or ten movies in. I didn't complete the challenge, so it doesn't matter. I guess what matters is that the few days I did get to watch some spooky movies, I was really into, and enjoyed them.

Naw, it doesn't matter if you watched two or two hundred - just that you got in the spirit of the holiday!

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I've got 125 points with 10 new movies (highlighted in bold). Like every year, I'm amazed by how many movies I managed to watch and by how fast it seemed to go by.

1. Dracula (1931)
2. Dracula (Spanish language)
3. Frankenstein (1931)
4. Murders In The Rue Morgue (1932)
5. The Old Dark House (1932)
6. The Mummy (1932)
7. The Invisible Man
8. The Black Cat (1934)
9. Bride Of Frankenstein
10. Werewolf Of London
11. The Raven (1935)
12. The Invisible Ray
13. Dracula’s Daughter
14. Night Key
15. Son Of Frankenstein
16. Tower Of London (1939)
17. The Invisible Man Returns
18. Black Friday (1940)
19. The Mummy’s Hand
20. The Invisible Woman
21. Man Made Monster
22. Horror Island
23. The Black Cat (1941)
24. The Wolf Man (1941)
25. The Ghost Of Frankenstein
26. Invisible Agent
27. Night Monster
28. The Mummy’s Tomb
29. Frankenstein Meets The Wolf Man
30. Captive Wild Woman
31. Phantom Of The Opera (1943)
32. Son Of Dracula
33. Calling Dr. Death
34. Weird Woman
35. Jungle Woman
36. The Invisible Man’s Revenge
37. The Mummy’s Ghost
38. The Climax
39. Dead Man’s Eyes
40. House Of Frankenstein
41. The Mummy’s Curse
42. The Frozen Ghost
43. The Jungle Captive
44. Strange Confession
45. House Of Dracula
46. Pillow Of Death
47. The Mad Ghoul
48. She-Wolf Of London
49. The Brute Man
50. Abbott And Costello Meet Frankenstein
51. Abbott And Costello Meet The Invisible Man
52. The Strange Door
53. The Black Castle
54. It Came From Outer Space
55. Abbott And Costello Meet Dr. Jekyll And Mr. Hyde
56. Creature From The Black Lagoon
57. Revenge Of The Creature
58. Abbott And Costello Meet The Mummy
59. The Creature Walks Among Us
60. The Zodiac Killer (1971)
61. Someone’s Watching Me!
62. The Fog (1980)
63. The Thing (1982)
64. Christine
65. Prince Of Darkness
66. Body Bags
67. In The Mouth Of Madness
68. Village Of The Damned (1995)
69. Vampires
70. Ghosts Of Mars
71. The Ward
72. Halloween (1978)
73. Halloween II (1981)
74. Halloween III: Season Of The Witch
75. Halloween 4: The Return Of Michael Myers
76. Halloween 5
77. Halloween: The Curse Of Michael Myers
78. Halloween: H20
79. Halloween: Resurrection
80. Halloween 6: The Curse Of Michael Myers (producer’s cut)
81. Ouija: The Origin Of Evil
82. A Nightmare On Elm Street (1984)
83. A Nightmare On Elm Street Part 2: Freddy’s Revenge
84. A Nightmare On Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors
85. A Nightmare On Elm Street 4: The Dream Master
86. A Nightmare On Elm Street: The Dream Child
87. Freddy’s Dead: The Final Nightmare
88. Wes Craven’s New Nightmare
89. The Shining (1980)
90. Friday The 13th (1980) (uncut version)
91. Friday The 13th Part 2
92. Friday The 13th Part 3
93. Friday The 13th: The Final Chapter
94. Friday The 13th: A New Beginning
95. Friday The 13th Part VI: Jason Lives
96. Friday The 13th Part VII: The New Blood
97. Friday The 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan
98. Scream
99. Scream 2
100. Scream 3
101. Scream 4
102. When A Stranger Calls (1979)
103. Prom Night (1980)
104. He Knows You’re Alone
105. Terror Train
106. Maniac (1980)
107. My Bloody Valentine (1981) (uncut version)
108. The Funhouse
109. Eyes Of A Stranger (uncut version)
110. The Burning (uncut version)
111. Happy Birthday To Me
112. Final Exam
113. Hell Night
114. Night School
115. The Prowler (1981)
116. April Fool’s Day (1986)
117. Psycho (1960)
118. Psycho II
119. Psycho III
120. Psycho IV: The Beginning
121. Cat People (1942)
122. The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974)
123. Jaws
124. The Hills Have Eyes (1977)
125. Dawn Of The Dead (1979)
(n/a). Halloween (1978)
(n/a). Halloween II (1981)

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
90 First timers

Best New Viewing(s): Shin Godzilla, A Thousand Pleasures, The Conjuring 2
Worst New Viewing(s): Just about every shark movie. Ghostbusters (2016)

At least thirty of those were from being able to watch stuff at work. There were about seven Criterion discs I didn't get to and at least eight Scream Factory titles including ALL of the October releases. Didn't get to Ash vs. the Evil Dead either. Oh well, there's always next year.

November will be catching up with the countless extras that I skipped on watching.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Naw, it doesn't matter if you watched two or two hundred - just that you got in the spirit of the holiday!

As you fellas continue to compile your totals, I'll just weigh in that I'm amazed at what I witnessed here. 40+ pages. 800+ posts. And I can't imagine how many films and TV shows in total.

And to show my appreciation for all y'all's efforts...here's my contribution to the "spirit of the holiday:"

halloweenpinupgirlbroom.jpg

Thanks for letting me lurk. :D

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
So do you save Dark Shadows all year long and just pick up where you left off last halloween?
(sorry I disappeared after posting... my extra time was about zero)

I actually watch all year round. I just haven't been watch this year as previous. But I'm getting the craving again.

Here's the rest of mine.

October 10
24. All Hollow's Eve 2. (forgot to add this earlier...) nothing special here. Lacks the awesome clown from the first. :(

October 11
25. Fourth Kind. Unnerving "visitation" film that sometimes uses a split screen technique with apparent real footage of people effected by aliens who are messing with their brains and the other side acted out stuff of the same scene. Really unique. Several scenes had me trying to join the coins and stale snacks under my comfy cushions. Avoid researching this until you've watched it once...too many spoilers.
26. Jason Lives: Friday the 13th Part 6. One of my favs of the series. It's kinda sorta well made isn't it? The sheriff character has me hooting and howling every time though. Makes every other ass I know take back seats. Is this the first F13 with actual kids at the camp? Terrific "ending".

October 12
27. The Killers. (2014) Killers can be bad influences, that's what you'll take away from this. Not quite Henry the Serial Killer but good character study.

October 13
28. The Last Exorcism 2. Like an afterthought. Nothing grabs like the original film. Maybe killed the series?
29. Tourist Trap. You'll see these faces in your sleep! Wonderful wrong turn into insanity with "The Rifleman" Chuck Connors doing something awesomely different. Reminds me of Rory Calhoun in Motel Hell different. Really there's a nice long list of older actors breaking stereotypes to show up in these crazy movies. Can't beat it.

October 14
30. The Cottage. Absolute fav! Very good laughs... but just wait. ;) Highly recommended for modern British horror fans.
31. Paranormal Activity 5: The Masked Ones.
32. Creature. Another cheesy fav. I had no idea the same people did the effects for Aliens! Holy wow! It does look pretty good. Fun in spite of the cheesy acting and story.

October 15
33. Nightmare. Bought the blu ray for this year. Not disappointed. The Bishop video game story is awesome. I had no idea that Moon Zappa played the girl trying to get Estevez to leave the arcade and go out with her. I do with the rest of the stories were as good as that one.
34. Aliens Director's Cut. Craved like crazy after Creature. Always a stunning ride, and especially so on blu ray. This DC is good but I would think the scenes with Newt that precede the team arriving at the seemingly deserted settlement would work better as flashbacks. I think it ruins the suspense we feel as the team is traveling there, and then arrive and start looking around. I guess I'll always watch it in DC til the end of my days. Oh! And I noticed they seemed to have removed a flawed effect near the end involving Bishop. I noticed that flaw for the first time on the DVD. I'm glad, that flaw always put me off.
35. Halloween. (original) It's all been said. :D I'm still on DVD. Will buy the full series blu Box someday.
36. The Hills have Eyes. (original) Not sure how but this film has lost some of it's power to shock. I'm finding humor in places I don't remember. Still, it's a nailbiter to the very end. This is a new purchase for this year, got the double with Reanimator. Hills looks like crap but maybe that adds to it. Hoping Re looks good though.

Excellent day of horror watching. :)

October 16
37. Under the Skin. My fav from last year. Bought the blu ray. Second viewing, NOT disapointing. Stunning scifi horror witha strong 70s British feel. One of those I can just sit back and let it play through. Minimalistic, beautiful.
38. Cat People. (original) Good old movie that manages only about 10% of the erotica of the 80s redo. Some great scenes though.
39. The Woman in Black. (2012) Upgraded my used DVD to a blu ray. Excellent looking film with (for me) one flaw, a little too much with the cgi ghosts jumping in. They should have taken a lesson from Sixth Sense. Otherwise it gets everything right with the outstanding story being told. Love this.

October 17
40. Happy Birthday to Me. Another fav slasher. Crazy twists, appealing cast and setting. It's on the blu ray with the original When a Stranger Calls. Excellent deal. No extras but the price is on the floor.
41. It's Alive! (1974) Was craving this, reciting the TV trailer (which ISN'T included on the disc!!!!) nonstop. When I was in 3rd or 4th grade me and my friends memorized that trailer and talked about how we were going to see it even though NOT in a million years for me. :D Seriously, I would have needed electro shockers on after this bit of business. Rick Baker nails it with the thing. They don't show it so much, just little hints that make it scarier like Jaws, and the sounds are crazy perfect. Nice DVD set with the 3 films. I might upgrade this to a blu if it has the TV trailer. At least it's on youtube.

October 18
42. Sinister 2. Like Last Exorcism 2 this is an afterthought. Like, here's more of what you think you want! Nope.
43. Seed of Chucky. Time tested idea, everything from Elm Street to Red Dwarf to Xena the Warrior Princess has done this kind of thing. Works great in this series too. Great effect, Tilly is wonderfully sexy...

October 19
44. ABCs of Death 2. Much more of a mixed bowl of alpha soup as the first. "W is for Wish" was used in the trailer and it is by far my most favorite. I'd put it up against anything from the first. Damn I love that one! Also, "Z is for Zygote" is nothing short of incredible visually. The story doesn't quite match but it's seriously amazing anyway.
45. Halloween 2 (original sequel) Not up to the classic but it acts as an extension. I like the movement of Michael around the homes on the street. This is the single blu ray with Terror in the Aisles as an extra. Worth the price for that alone even though the visual upgrade of H2 is just okay.

October 20
46. 28 Weeks Later. Watched the 2nd Prez Debate from the night before streaming so I needed something scary as hell to at least match it. :p Seriously, I think this sequel is among the most realistic zombie movies I've ever seen. Hits all the right marks including the emotion involved. The trailer doesn't not do it justice. Many actors wouldn't want the part but Carlyle is superb. Outdoes the first for me. Brilliant.

October 21
47. The Final Terror. I just love The Final Terror 4 and 8. Those sequels are just great! :p Joke, this was the final one as far as I know. Gorgeous looking slasher in the woods movie. Looks like where they filmed The Lost World JP 2. This is just an okay 80s killer taking them out one by one movie with a very familiar looking cast including some lovely ladies, Darryl Hannah who went to Splash, Rachel Ward to one of my favs Fortress, and Akosua Busia who went on to be in The Color Purple plus a damn princess! :D crazy... and that's just the ladies.
48. Dead Calm. Yet another fav. Edge of the flippin seat. Sam Neil couldn't be more believable as a sailor on leave to help his wife through a difficult time. They end up in a crazy situation to say the least. I need to upgrade this DVD to a blu ray.

October 22
49. Goodnight Mommy. Much hyped, doesn't match the insane trailer. But it's a really great movie that starts eery as hell and never lets up, then ends with a bang! One of my favs from last year.
50. VHS Viral. 3rd in the series. It's okay... the one with the magic door thing might be my favorite. That was actually a very good idea. I liked the way the one with the skateboarders looked.
51. MST3K: Attack of the (the) Eye Creatures. Classic Joel MST3K with one of the worst movies of all time. Easy pickins. The Rip Taylor bit they do is hilarious. Needs a Shout! DVD release.
52. Mum & Dad. Truly horrifying British serial killer movie. There is some dark comedy moments here but for me it's darn disturbing. I enjoyed the cast interview featurette for the actors playing Mum and Dad since they seem beyond normal. A relief! Please watch this. You won't be disappointed.
53. Alien 3 Director's Cut. Saw this originally and went home mixed feelings. But this DC fixed most of it. Does feel a tad long, like the DC of Aliens, but it's much MUCH better like this. The characters are unique and varied. I actually care about them as with the first 2 films. Terrific trilogy...but then they had to do a 4th. :p
TV. Alfred Hitchcock Presents. Season 1, Episode 10. "The Case of Mr. Pelham" Nice episode that leaves me twisting the ending around in my limited brain. Hitch apologies about there not being a death in this one. :D

Another excellent day.

October 23
54. Paranormal Activity. Ghost Dimension. Finally seeing this 6th film in one of my favorite series. Starts ho-hum, feels like it should be the last one they make. But it does improve quite a bit as it runs, adding something that's well... same old but still kind of cool.
55. Night of the Hunter. The classic. Haven't seen this in years. Has me craving Baby Jane, The Bad Seed, more Hitchcock and others.
56. Blood for Dracula. Another huge craving... in fact, I'd planned to do the Frankenstein but changed my mind. Glad I did. Just an awesome looking bunch of sidesplitting hilarity. I can't stop shouting the line "But they don't have the food that I eat!!!" LOVE that line and so many more.
57. A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night. Iranian vampire! Yeah! Excellent visuals and storytelling. Highly recommended.
TV. Dark Shadows. Episodes 539 & 540 Could have watched 4 or 5 more if I wasn't so damn tired. Sucks.

Yet another great day. :D

October 24
58. Manhunter. A craving. Satisfied. Beautiful first Hannibal Lector movie. Of course the guy here playing the doctor is not even 5% of the horror of Hopkins.
59. Dawn of the Dead. (1978) Same. Craved. Satisfied. Everything about this has been said already. Classic. I have the Ultimate DVD set. Watched the Theatrical cut.

And another great day, although limited. Wished I could keep going. :(

October 25
60. Southbound. Was looking forward to this from the V/H/S people. Loose anthology, cheap looking but it works okay.
--. Severance. With commentary. The group has an absolute ball watching their own film. It's obvious it was among the highlights of their lives. Glad to have a working DVD of this now. I ended up getting this for free after the amazon seller forgot to mail it. They made it good by refunding and giving me a freebie. I'll have to buy something else from them.

October 26
61. Picnic at Hanging Rock. Okay...am I supposed to lose sleep later thinking about this thing? What the hell happened!! awesome mystery thriller that feels like something crazy happened at that picnic and the world falls apart for some of these people. Lots of uniqueness that deserves to not be spoiled.
62. National Lampoon's Class Reunion. Stupid comedy that I happen to love. Was real sleepy watching but still had the normal great time. My favorite characters are the blind lady who ends up with buckets on her feet and the disabled lady who is no longer disabled thanks to Satan. :D Probably nobody likes this like I do. Saw it on cable in the 80s and it leaves me feeling good.

Another day I wanted to keep going. Sucks I just can't do it this year. Stupid double features only during the week.

October 27
63. Frankenweenie. (2012) beautiful black and white animated update of the classic Burton short. Has everything the other has and more. Nostalgia makes the short my fav but this is excellent.
64. Pet Sematary. I couldn't believe this was such a big hit. Man I hated this originally. The book was my fav horror story at the time but (as much as I love Fred Gwynne) this movie was terrible. Good to know they are doing a redo from what I read. Can't wait to see if they get it right this time.

October 28
65. Willow Creek. Slow build Bigfoot movie that's actually pretty good thanks to some hair raising scenes with wonderful sound work that's all around you. I like the couple too. The girl acts like she's not interested but (sexist comment alert) us guys know most girls are only looking at our damn feet. The guy can't wait to get out there and die!
66. The Eye 3. Really fun sequel in this series. Group of young Asian adults mixed with book on how to summon ghosts...? yeah, it's like that episode with Mr. Wizard's paper volcano filled with baking soda and vinegar. Just drop it and stand back!

October 29
67. Rebecca. Picked this blu ray up at Bilo for $5 a few weeks ago. Amazing what you can find. The movie is outstanding. David O. Selznick and Hitchcock...all those earmarks. Gone with the Wind meets Shadow of a Doubt.
68. Day of the Dead. Was really craving this and it didn't disappoint. Not the best in the series, and a few of the characters come off as completely useless (please eat them NOW!) but it just works. Has one of my favorite scenes in a zombie movie...the one with the eyes... ;) One of those, how did they DO that!??
69. Blair Witch Project. (1999) Yearly nonstop viewing where I hit PLAY and watched the whole thing. I adore this film. I feel like I know Heather, Josh and Mike, it's weird. Kind of like the Star Trek, or Star Wars casts... old friends. I think the actors are terrific and the film first rate all the way. The people being interivewed, like the lady with the child, the 2 guys fishin, and the one at the trailer home with the strange gate... all memorable and great. They set all that up beautifully. Never fails. Funny, I forgot there's a commentary track so I'm planning another viewing before November is over.
70. House of the Devil. Was craving this. Another absolute winner. Retro... slow build... nearly perfect.
71. Innkeepers. A T. West double feature was unavoidable. My favorite of his films. The 2 leads working the desk of this haunted hotel are fantastic to watch. Couldn't be more perfect. The blonde girl has a builtin vulnerability thanks to her inhaler and naivety. I feel like I'm watching little sister or niece or something.

October 30
72. Alice Sweet Alice. Funky 70s slasher with distinct creepy mask and yellow raincoated killer. Nice imagine. Nothing outstanding. Started watching this the night before and got too sleepy. Tried for a 6 movie day and didn't get it. :(
73. Time Crimes. A real grabber... can't imagine anyone getting taken for this crazy ride and not feeling satisfied. Spanish and surreal... excellent story you can only just sit and watch for things to fall together.
74. Reanimator. This blu ray was in the set with The Hills Have Eyes. Had a ball! The transfer here is better than Hills luckily.
75. Trick 'r Treat. Another strong craving... never disappoints. Horror anthology that is superior to just about everything that followed Creepshow from the 80s including the 2 sequels to Creepshow (well, should really just say 1 sequel since CSIII was completely terrible).

TV: Dark Shadows 541. Craving MANY more but just no time this year. :(

October 31 HALLOWEEN!!!
76. Killer Legends. This day was completely planned, something I rarely do. But I figured it would be 3 at most. This REAL documentary about the origins of several urban legends is completely engrossing. The same filmaker as Cropsey (also a must see). If you don't get the creeps after these you need to have your creep generator checked. Had I had more time I would have watched Cropsey first.
77. Creepshow. It's all been said. Love this film. Not a bad blu ray.
78. The Fog. 1979. And there you go. One October in the early 80s I snuck into a drive-in theater with my best friend and this was playing. It's aged very well. Perfect one to end on...and of course I wished I could continue with something else... would have been Halloween 3, the one without Michael Meyers.

78 movies
4 Dark Shadows
1 Alfred Hitchcock Presents
Total 80.3 (I think)

Last edited:

whacky blacky

Second Unit
Real Name
shawn blackman
Here was my list.

1. 31 (2016) 2.5/5
2. The Conduit (2016) 2/5
3. Monster Dog (1984) 2.5/5
4. Consumption (2014) 2.5/5
5. Morituris (2011) 2.5/5
6. Krampus: The Christmas Devil (2013) 1.5/5
7. Sharkenstein (2016) 2/5
8. Condemned (2015) 2.5/5
9. Ghost Town (1988) 2.5/5
10. Evangeline (2013) 2/5
11. The Flying Serpent (1946) 2.5/5
12. Legion Of The Dead (2005) 1.5/5
13. Swamphead (2011) 3/5
14. Abattoir (2016) 2.5/5
15. Martyrs (2015)2/5
16. Torched (2004) 3/5
17. American Conjuring (2016)1/5
18. Indigenous (2014) 3/5
19. Bite (2015) 2.5/5
20. Demonoid: Messenger Of Death (1981) 2.5/5
21. Blood Trap (2016)3/5
22. De Lift (1983) 3/5
23. Dark Exorcism (2015) 2.5/5
24. Suspension (2015) 2.5/5
25. Death Powder (1986) 3/5
26. Haunting Of Cellblock 11 (2014) 2/5
27. Dead Shadows (2012) 2/5
28. Die You Zombie Bastards (2005) 2.5/5
29. ClownTown (2016) 2/5
30. Contracted (2013) 2.5/5
31. Hellions (2015) 2.5/5
32. Destroyer (1988) 2.5/5
33. Judas Ghost (2013) 2.5/5
34. Xtro (1982) 3/5
35. The Invoking (2013) 1.5/5
36. Djinn (2013) 2/5
37. Monster A Go-Go (1965) 2/5
38. Zombie Diaries 2 (2011) 2/5
39. Don't Speak (2015) 2/5
40. Voodoo Man (2016) 2.5/5
41. The Vault Of Horror (1973) 3/5
42. Carrier (2011) 2/5
43. Strange Behaviour (1981) 3/5
44. All Through The House (2015) 2.5/5
45. Deadly Dreams (1988) 2.5/5
46. The Last Showing (2014) 2.5/5
47. The Evil In Us (2016) 2.5/5
48. Empty Rooms (2012) 3/5
49. The Bride (2016) 2/5
50. The Evil Inside (2011) 1.5/5
51. Screen Kill (1997) 3/5
52. Model Hunger (2016) 2.5/5
53. Victims! (1985) 2.5/5
54. House Of Afflictions (2014) 2/5
55. Dead But Dreaming (2013) 2.5/5
56. Trace (2015) 1.5/5
57. Francesca (2015) 3/5
58. Insane (2016) 2/5
59. Holidays (2016) 2.5/5
60. American Guinea Pig: Bloodshock (2015)
61. Evil Feed (2013)2.5/5
62. 7 In The Torture Chamber (2009) 1.5/5
63. Osombie (2012) 2/5
64. Scars (2014) 2.5/5
65 The Mummy's Kiss (2003) 2/5
66. Queen Of Blood (1966) 2.5/5
67. Cottage Country (2013) 3/5
68. Satanic (2016) 2/5
69. Psychotica (2010) 1.5/5
70. Nasty Nancy (2010) 2.5/5
71. Knucklebones (2016) 2/5
72. June (2015) 2.5/5
73. Sweet Sixteen (1983) 3/5
74. Exorcist: House Of Evil (2016) 1.5/5
75. She Kills (2016) 3/5
76. Deadly Famous (2014) 2.5/5
77. The Suckling (1990) 3/5
78. Outpost 3: Rise Of The Spetsnaz (2013) 3/5
79. The Refrigerator (1991) 2/5
80. Thirst (2015) 2/5
81. Uninvited (1988) 2.5/5
82. The Zombie King (2013) 2/5
83. Last Gasp (1995) 2.5/5
84. Blackburn (2015) 2/5
85. The Poltergeist Of Borley Forest (2013)
86. Satan's Storybook (1989) 2/5
87. Mark Of The Witch (2014) 2/5
88. The Cutting Room (2015) 2/5
89. Evil Exhumed (2016) 1.5/5
90. Paranormal Asylum (2013) 2/5
91. House Of Purgatory (2016) 2/5
92. Monster From Bikini Beach (2008) 2.5/5
93. Bill Huckstable: Serial Rapist (2015) 2.5/5
94. Krampus: The Reckoning (2015) 1.5/5
95. Bunni (2013) 2/5
96. Baskin (2015) 3/5
97. Ghostline (2015) 2/5
98. Trail Of Blood (2011) 2.5/5
99. Restoration (2016) 2/5
100. Apparition (2015) 2/5

100 points and 100 new to me as I don't like to watch one I've seen before so I can get exposed to others. My favourite of the challenge was between The Suckling and Baskin. The worst was American Conjuring. Had fun everybody. I'm off to see some more films.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
100 points and 100 new to me as I don't like to watch one I've seen before so I can get exposed to others.

Though it doesn't appear you ranked anything higher than 3 of 5. I think I'd get discouraged by watching so many "meh" films.

Suzanne.S

Second Unit
Real Name
Suzanne
Wow! As always I am amazed at the number of films some people manage to watch. I started out strong, but real life got in the way. I did get back to watching Dark Shadows and I hope to finish that up by the new year.

More importantly, I went out and saw movies with other people, not just at home. I saw (albeit on DVD) The Phantom of the Opera (1925) at the Schlafly Bottleworks. I saw Phantom of the Opera (1943) at the Hi-Pointe Theater.

And coolest of all, I saw Nosferatu (1922) twice, first at Urban Chestnut Brewery accompanied by the Rats and People Motion Picture Orchestra and then at Webster University accompanied by The Invincible Czars.

If you get a chance to see anything with either of these fine groups don't hesitate for a second!

And while it won't count for the challenge, I'll be seeing the newly restored Destiny this Saturday accompanied by Rats & People at Webster as part of the St. Louis International Film Festival.

It's been a great month and while I didn't watch nearly as many movies as I'd have liked, I have really enjoyed reading all the posts and reviews. I've already purchased quite a few movies based on things I've read here so I'm all set for next year's challenge. Thanks to all who participated. :)

PatW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Patricia
I only watched less than half of what I watched last year. I'll do better next year.

Movies 33
1 hr long tv series 20

Total = 43 with 29 new watches

I'll finish up the rest of my reviews later. Already counted in the total.

Sandro

Second Unit
Watched 49 movies + 8 x 50 minute TV episodes
Total = 53
New viewings = 36 movies, 1 TV series

Full list rated * to ****

10/01 Revenge of the Zombies **
10/01 ZMD: Zombies of Mass Destruction **
10/01 Jaws ****
10/02 Curse of the Faceless Man ** ½
10/02 Diary of the Dead ***
10/03 Hallow, The ***
10/04 Neither the Sea nor the Sand ** ½
10/05 Monolith Monsters ** ½
10/05 Pack, The (1977) ***
10/06 Man Made Monster ** ½

10/06 Fog, The (1980) ***
10/07 Reptilicus **
10/08 Jaws 2 ***
10/08 Halloween 6: Curse of Michael Myers ** ½
10/08 Mexico Barbaro ** ½
10/09 War of the Colossal Beast * ½
10/09 Curse of Frankenstein ***
10/10 Revenge of Frankenstein ***
10/12 Evil of Frankenstein ** ½
10/12 Beast with a Million Eyes *

10/13 Voodoo Woman **
10/14 Zodiac Killer **
10/14 Krampus ***
10/15 Jaws 3 ** ½
10/15 She-Creature ** ½
10/15 Freaks of Nature ***
10/16 Roar *** ½
10/16 Most Likely To Die **
10/16 Scherzo Diabolico ***
10/17 Grabbers ***

10/17 Evil Dead (1981) *** ½
10/17 Phantasm IV: Oblivion ** ½
10/18 Catacombs (aka Woman Who Wouldn’t Die) ** ½
10/19 Black Friday (1940) ** ½
10/20 Crazy As Hell ** ½
10/21 Bat People **
10/21 Reeker ** ½
10/21 Pyx, The *** ½
10/22 Jaws 3: The Revenge **
10/22 Blood Freak *

10/22 Deathgasm ***
10/22 Page of Madness ***
10/23 Children of the Corn * ½
10/24 Frankenstein Created Woman ** ½
10/24 Intruder (1989) ***
10/25 Horde, The (2009) ** ½
10/28 Kuroneko ***
10/28 I am the Pretty Thing that Lives in the House ***
10/31 Frankenstein Must be Destroyed *** ½

TV
Slasher Season 1 Episode 1 - 8

Last edited:

Sandro

Second Unit
The older I get the harder it is to find quality new watches. I wasted a lot of time clearing off old scifi/horror movies from the DVR – most were not that good. I watched the Jaws series and thought 2, 3 better than their reputation while 4 earns its 2.9 IMDB score. I also rewatched the first 5 films in Hammer’s Frankenstein series which has little continuity besides Cushing who is great in them. I wished I had watched more new films but I had already seen most of what interested me before October.

Best first-time watches
Roar
– a one-of-a-kind experience
Kuroneko – haunting black and white Japanese horror drama
Krampus – marvelously entertaining Christmas horror movie
Deathgasm – fun heavy metal horror comedy

Worst first-time watches
Blood Freak
– man’s head turns into a turkey head. Seriously.
Beast With a Million Eyes – atrocious low budget, boring movie with a ridiculous monster.
War of the Colossal Beast – another Bert I Gordon fail

Best rewatches
The Pyx
Evil Dead (1981)
Frankenstein Must be Destroyed
Intruder (1989)

Memorables things
The first 30 minutes of Roar
The Jack-in-the-box in Krampus
The creatures in Monolith Monsters and the creatures in The Hallow
The ridiculous backstory to Michael Myers in Halloween VI
The killer in Reeker
Dogs attack car in The Pack (1977)
That turkey head

Oliver Ravencrest

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ron
I feel sorry for Charlie Brown. He's actually out there pounding the pavement for treats, rather than sitting around a pumpkin patch, but all he gets in his bag are rocks.

What if they weren't actually rocks? Maybe the adults felt sorry for Charlie Brown and gave him something valuable but he thought they were rocks.

Oliver Ravencrest

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ron
I watched 114 movies, of which 37 were new to me, Last year I only watched 9 new titles.

Best new movie: The Babadook
Best Sequel/Remake: Shin Godzilla
Worst Sequel/Remake: Rob zombie's Halloween II
Worst Movie: Monsters (2010)
Biggest Disappointment: The Conjuring

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks