1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

***Official 17th Annual HTF October Scary Movie Challenge 2016***

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Oliver Ravencrest, Sep 11, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott Lead Actor

Michael Elliott
    Agreed. A challenge like this is the perfect time to go through movies that you normally wouldn't watch.

On a semi-side note, it's rather amazing how many new horror movies are out there. Whether they're going straight-to-DVD or straight-to-streaming OR if they're just being put on YouTube or other sites.

2. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp

Russell
    My final total is:

Total Films: 104
    First Time Viewings: 66
    Total Points: 104

Favourite new discoveries: Bone Tomahawk and The Witch
    Worst film: The Ghost of Dragstrip Hollow

I wish I had more first time viewings. A lot of what I watched where bluray and what not. Next year I'll try to up the number if I participate.

Oliver Ravencrest likes this.
  3. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    I guess I think about it too much. I spend a lot of time reading descriptions of movies on Netflix, Amazon, and such to try and determine if it might be good, rather than just randomly watching.

Though that still sometimes leads to crap like Bunny the Killer Thing. :rolleyes:

Neil Middlemiss likes this.
  4. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp

Russell
    we all have our own methods. I always make plans to watch certain things, then get caught up watching other things and run out of time haha. I did manage to watch nearly all the Universal Horror titles I had last year. I still haven't finished watching all the titles off the "Video Nasties" list that I started in the challenge, I think 3 years ago? I had so many unwatched horror titles this year that I stuck to my pile of movies and nearly got through them all.

5. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    What did you think of this one? Did anybody else watch this during the challenge? I know it was billed as being basically a film made to look and feel exactly like a 1970s Giallo...did it live up to that claim?

Francesca Poster 2016.

6. Sandro

Sandro Second Unit

The director's previous giallo Sonno Profondo is on Amazon Prime and is quite good.

Reggie W likes this.
  7. Tony J Case

Tony J Case Cinematographer

I tend to have a higher number of First Views, but that weekend where I was sick and just put on Friday the 13th and Nightmare on Elm Street really brought my average down.

Speaking of - you might have missed my mention of it ages ago at the start of the challenge, but have you ever checked out Video Nasties: Moral Panic, Censorship & Videotape from Severn Films? It's a great documentary about the whole Video Nasties mania and the other two discs are full of trailers for the 72 Nasties, with a short segment from experts and horror film makers about the movie at hand. I haven't had a chance to get through all the trailers yet - there's a ton of content on the disc - but it's some really good stuff.

They also did a follow up set, but I haven't checked that one out yet.

8. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp

Russell
    I have seen the first one of those. It's great! I managed to track down all the films. I can't remember how far I got though. I still have to watch the second part as well.

I miss posting movies on here every day!

9. Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott Lead Actor

Michael Elliott
    I haven't watched a single movie since the challenge ended. I did start watching some extras last night, which was a start at least. The Herschell Gordon Lewis set was just dropped off at the house so that should keep me busy this weekend.
    BAD THE SADIST VIDEOS is another good documentary on the video nasties. HOWEVER, with that said. I've seen both sets of documentaries and the main guy said that if you DID watch horror movies with too much violence or sex that you would lose your mind and do bad things. This made me think, did anyone ever ask this guy if he lost his mind? I mean, he DID watch all of these movies and he said that if you did watch them you'd go crazy.

Tony J Case likes this.
  10. Tony J Case

The BBC also did a documentary on Mary Whitehouse and her constant attacks on Doctor Who back in the Tom Baker era, during the show's Hammer Horror-ish gothic phase, with the Brain of Morbius or the later sardonic look in Vengeance on Varos. I don't remember what episode it wound up on, but it was a pretty frank look at censorship, with people on both sides talking about their stance.

11. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp

Russell
    I don't think you would go crazy. You would probably get depressed since many of the films are terrible haha.

I've only watched one film since the challenge. Catching up on my favourite TV show this week, then I want to watch some of the extra features on the discs I watched in the challenge. I got the HGL set as well, I plan to watch a disc a week, commentaries and all. So that should take awhile haha.

12. Tony J Case

I've only watched one movie since the end - Dr Strange - but I've been catching up on all my Raw and Smackdown backlogs, so I'm not in a total media blackout.

13. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp

Russell
    I've been watching Lucha Underground. You have no idea how tempted I was to add it to the challenge haha. Monster Montanza should count for horror! :P

Is there a wrestling discussion thread on the boards? There should be!

Tony J Case likes this.
  14. Tony J Case

Hey, you don't know how hard it was me not to somehow justify Sunday's Hell In A Cell PPV as some kind of horror show. :)

Hey - HiaC has been an October tradition for years and years now. While not horrific or bloody (although Mick Foley might disagree with me after that bump from the top of the cell from The Undertaker), it's long been a fixture of the season!

I've seen the occasional 'Mania thread crop up around April, but I don't think we have a dedicated thread or anything. I wonder how much traffic there'd be - of would be just you and I talking? :)

15. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp

Russell
    It would probably be just us, no one else will want to admit they watch it! I love Lucha Underground though, it's so bonkers. I like many of the wrestlers in WWE, but it's too much of a time commitment. I'm not sure if I'm going to start up watching it again or not. Though HITC sounded pretty great, as did No Mercy... MUST RESIST! :lol:

16. Tony J Case

I really need to watch more Lucha Underground. What little I've seen has been tremendous. I just run into the problem of: no cable, so no El Ray! But yeah - the matches I've seen on youtube have been goddamned off the rails awesome!

No kidding! Ever since the brand split, there has been almost way too much content to keep up on - 3 hours for Raw, 2 for Smackdown, 1 for NXT and then nearly bi-weekly PPVs means that I had to cut back. I love the roster on Raw, but Smackdown is easier for me to get into, being just under an hour an a half after you pull the commercials. Plus - okay, I know it's cliche, but I really love Cena.

Ah, you know what? Screw it! Let me tempt you:

132) WWE's Hell in a Cell (2016) - New To Me
    Okay, that was a pretty epic Pay Per View
    - three Hell In A Cell matches! Some good cruiserweight action! The Chris Jericho and Kevin Owens double act! Gallows and Anderson finally getting a push by beating Enzo and Big Cass clean? Yikes! Charlotte beating Sasha was a hell of a match! Plus we've gotten to the point where the women's division can headline a PPV? That's some huge strides from the days of panty and pillow matches! Okay, the Rusev vs Reigns match was pretty dull, but the rest was spot on!
    I give it 4 Twenty-Four Inch Pythons out of 5

17. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp

Russell
    Haha! Maybe I'll catch up. I want to watch Survivor Series. I have to steal Lucha Underground since it's not aired anywhere in Canada. The main story going into Survivor Series is "which brand will win?" WWE is all about fiscal performance and ratings between brand owners. Lucha Undergound back story is the owner is using it as a criminal front while the evil Catarina is using the Temple as sacrifices to bring back the Aztec gods to bring on the apocalypse, all part of a 1000 year battle through some medallion that allow the owner to be immortal. Catarina has half of the medallion, the other half is owned by a detective who has some agents undercover in the temple as wrestlers. Oh yeah, it's wrestling show!

I mean, not including Lucha Underground in the challenge was a huge mistake! It's more horror than a couple of the movies I watched that looked like scary movies on paper! :P

18. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp

Russell
    Oh also in Lucha Underground, and one of the best parts. No womens division. Either you wrestle or you don't, your gender doesn't matter. So women wrestle men and they manage to make it look as good and "real" as the regular matches instead of silly or a gimmick. the story telling in the ring in Lucha Underground is so far over what WWE typically does it's ridiculous.

19. Oliver Ravencrest

Oliver Ravencrest Screenwriter

Ron
    Preliminary results:

1) Michael Elliot 149(90) 149
    2) John Stell 143(47) 143
    3) Tony J. Case 131(15) 131.5
    4) TravisR 125(10) 125
    5) Me 114 114*
    6) Russell G 104(66) 104
    7) Whacky Blacky 100(100) 100
    8) Radioman 78 80.3
    9) Sandro 49(36) 53
    10) Malcolm R 40(27) 50.5
    11) PatW 33(29) 43
    12) Neil Middlemiss 40(27) 40
    12) Greg Black 13(5) 40
    13) d.pippel 33(11) 34
    14) Tony Bensley 30(3) 30
    15) Doug Wallen 15(3) 16
    16) Suzanne.S 8 13
    17) Bryan^H 10 10

I listed total movies with new watches in brackets and then total points on the right. I didn't list TV episodes above but they are included in point totals. I included everyone who took part that listed that they watched something. Hopefully I didn't miss anyone. If anyone disagrees or sees any errors, let me know in here.

20. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
    Nice!