What's new

Disney+ Obi-Wan Kenobi (2022) (1 Viewer)

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
Generally loved it especially the second episode. Couple of things :

1. The young child playing a certain character looks way younger than she is supposed to be - I though she looked about 6 years old
2. Is it just me or have others guessed exactly who Reva is likely to be and why she has an obsession with Kenobi ?

Cant wait for the next one.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
Generally loved it especially the second episode. Couple of things :

1. The young child playing a certain character looks way younger than she is supposed to be - I though she looked about 6 years old
Well, the actress is 9 years old. Some kids just look young. My son is twelve and just finished 6th grade. There are some 4th graders who are taller then him, he is short and young looking for his age.

2. Is it just me or have others guessed exactly who Reva is likely to be and why she has an obsession with Kenobi ?

Cant wait for the next one.
I'm guessing she was one of the younglings in the opening scene but, what is her connection to Obi-wan? Did I miss something else?

Speaking of that opening scene. Was I the only one who felt a little uncomfortable watching it after the real life events from a couple days ago? Not that I think t should have been cut or anything, it just landed differently.

We just got done with the second episode and I thought it was really good as well.

One nitpick is again, with a chase scene. Like in Boba, this chase scene felt slow. Anyone who has, or has had, a 10 year old knows they can run a whole lot faster then what was portrayed in that chase. There were a couple of times when she is within arms link of Obi-wan and he just doesn't reach out and grab her for some reason. It just felt clunky and the choreography was not very good IMO. I'm starting to wonder if the virtual sound stage they use is too small for chase scenes and that's why they feel slow.

I wish Kumail Nanjiani would not get cast in things like this, I just don't buy him in anything other than comedy roles. He didn't work for me in Eternals and doesn't work here. Something about his acting style and I still just see him as his character from Silicon Valley. He was fine but it was just a little distracting for me.

Still a great episode and those are just minor nits.

Last edited:

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Does anyone know if I need to watch Rebels to get the most out of this? I've heard it would be good to screen it first, but given the time commitment, I'd love to know just how important it is.
This is actually set before Rebels so absolutely not.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
First episode very good. Second not so much.

I think what bothers me is that sometimes the production feels like an actual Star Wars movie and that's great -- and then suddenly we get these cheapened TV production scenes with budget Halloween alien costumes. It just reminds you that this isn't a movie but a TV series.

Also agree that Leia is a real PITA and not doing a great acting job. I'm glad they included the kid's storylines, but nothing brings down a story like having to chase a little brat across a city.

Otherwise, this holds a lot of promise and I look forward to the next episode.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I really liked her too. For me, she did a great job of linking up the prequel films with the originals by making me believe that she was the daughter of Natalie Portman and also that she could grow up to be Carrie Fisher. That’s not necessarily an easy line to straddle but I thought she did so beautifully.

It was also the perfect reason to kick everything into motion. There needed to be a reason important enough specifically for Obi-Wan to leave Tatooine but not so important that it would mess with the perception that Obi-Wan was essentially on the sidelines in the early years of rebellion.

Museum Pieces

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Skylar
I loved that she made him buy her the gloves...

Real Star Wars in the house. Can already tell you this series will go in my Legit folder along with Clone Wars, Mandalorian, and Boba Fett.

Last edited:

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I saw the first episode. I felt the colors were too washed out. In their other series, the sand has a warm yellow color. Here not, the sky also not blue. I just don't get it why they didn't make it more vivid. I wanted more colors.

JasonRoer

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason Roer
Why do I have to be a sports fan?? I can't miss the Celtics game tonight, as they could close out the Eastern Conference Finals in the Garden and they're my favorite team! This means, of course, that my wife and I will have to wait to see Obi Wan until tomorrow. And also - Stranger Things Season 4! I'm SO excited for both of these series. Ce la vie. I look to forward to reading everyone's opinions of the show on Tuesday.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Vivien Lyra Blair is excellent. Sort of a little star, actually. She really held her scenes with Ewan McGregor and Jimmy Smits.

I liked how are Young Leia's costumes evoked those of Padme and "older" Leia. Especially notable were the homages to Leia's white dresses from A New Hope (shedding her jacket on Alderaan) and her forest camo from ROTJ (the green disguise from the market), and to Padme's handmaiden outfit (the red disgiuse from the market).

I really liked the first two episodes. In particular I liked how they focused on just how sad Obi-Wan is. He's lost everything, including hope.

Like Sam, above, I did think the desert scenes were a tad too desaturated.

I'm really looking forward to the next episode!

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
General Kenobi - Years ago you served my father in the Clone Wars. Also there was that time when I was 10 when I was kidnapped and you came to rescue me. Remember that? Anyway, …

I liked Leia’s fakeout with the girl dressed as her at the beginning. Like mother, like daughter.

Enjoying the show so far. Vivien Lyra Blair is well cast as young Leia.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I loved the first episode (saving the second for tomorrow). The production value is outstanding. McGregor is terrific, even better than I expected. Glad to see Jimmy Smits again, and it’s nice to have Mrs Organa become a character too.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I’ve only watched the first episode so far and I thought it was just “ok”. Hope this show gets better.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Really liked the first one
Second one was just kind of annoying more then anything else.
Nothing interests me less then a guy having to runaround chasing after a bratty and really kind of stupid little kid.

Didn’t care for any of that.
Maybe the kid is a brilliant actor and her job was to make me not like her, worked.

Also too small for a ten year old.
When someone reminded us on screen that she is ten I was a little surprised.
When was this show filmed?

I know she will be ten in June I think.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I didn't think about the color palette much in either episode, but now that Sam mentioned it (post #369) the color was somewhat desaturated. Compare scenes from A New Hope, or Phantom Menace on Tatooine against those in episode one and the new series does not have the vibrant color of the earlier works. I am going to assume that was an aesthetic choice to mirror Ben's view of the world at this time, but I think more color would have been in order.

- Walter.

Mikael Soderholm

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mikael Söderholm
I saw the first episode. I felt the colors were too washed out. In their other series, the sand has a warm yellow color. Here not, the sky also not blue. I just don't get it why they didn't make it more vivid. I wanted more colors.
Interesting observation. I have noticed it before, when watching earlier Star Wars movies on D+ compared to my DVD/BRs, I always thought it was a D+ thing. Same thing happened with Finding Nemo/Dory, where the first movie was al washed out, but the second was like my DVD.
I guess it's intentional, but have no idea why.

Btw, I watched the two first episodes screened in a theater, still washed out colors.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Really liked the first one
Second one was just kind of annoying more then anything else.
Nothing interests me less then a guy having to runaround chasing after a bratty and really kind of stupid little kid.

Didn’t care for any of that.
Maybe the kid is a brilliant actor and her job was to make me not like her, worked.

Also too small for a ten year old.
When someone reminded us on screen that she is ten I was a little surprised.
When was this show filmed?

I know she will be ten in June I think.
She might be bratty, but she's far from stupid as Ben was impressed by her intelligence which is why he asked her age because it was like he was talking to an adult.:laugh:

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Random thoughts about episode 1.

The very beginning was disturbing considering the current events. Surprised they didn't delay it for a week or something.

Obi-Wan's behavior was disturbing to me. First, that guy who was working with him and was complaining about credits. I was expecting Obi-Wan do to something, to give a little of his food or at least to show a little kindness towards him.

Also the way he treated the Jedi. A little help or something. It felt he allowed him to die. He tells him you have to forget everything and later says he has to train Luke which sounds contradictory. Overall I don't like his lack of compassion. I really hope this is not the direction they are going.

What was that big carcass in the middle of the desert? Was that a flying being who crashed and they were harvesting his meat? Was Obi-Wan stealing?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks