What's new

Disney+ Obi-Wan Kenobi (2022) (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Random thoughts about episode 1.

The very beginning was disturbing considering the current events. Surprised they didn't delay it for a week or something.

Obi-Wan's behavior was disturbing to me. First, that guy who was working with him and was complaining about credits. I was expecting Obi-Wan do to something, to give a little of his food or at least to show a little kindness towards him.

Also the way he treated the Jedi. A little help or something. It felt he allowed him to die. He tells him you have to forget everything and later says he has to train Luke which sounds contradictory. Overall I don't like his lack of compassion. I really hope this is not the direction they are going.

What was that big carcass in the middle of the desert? Was that a flying being who crashed and they were harvesting his meat? Was Obi-Wan stealing?
Obi-Wan is a beaten man with PTSD, whether he's a Jedi or not. Furthermore, being isolated for ten years probably isn't good for his psyche either. In time, he'll remember who he is.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Also the way he treated the Jedi. A little help or something. It felt he allowed him to die. He tells him you have to forget everything and later says he has to train Luke which sounds contradictory.
Obi-Wan knows that their best bet is to train Luke to take on the Sith and everything else is doomed to failure. Bennie Safdie isn't taking on Darth Sidious and Darth Vader but the son of Anakin Skywalker has a chance.

What was that big carcass in the middle of the desert? Was that a flying being who crashed and they were harvesting his meat? Was Obi-Wan stealing?
I think it was a krayt dragon (the same kind of giant monster that Mando fought at the beginning of S2 of his show). I assume he was stealing the meat but I figured you'd see a scene where he pulls the Jedi mind trick on the guy monitoring them to confirm that. It's pretty clear that the people he's working for are treating their workers poorly so f-them if he is stealing. :)

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Bennie Safdie
I like how you know his name! :lol:

I thought it was a land shark. :)
artworks-000323999476-u4snxa-t500x500.jpg

Definitely not a Krayt dragon. It has wings.

not land shark.jpg

Rey didn't steal!

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I just hope that drinking plots moviing forward isn’t going to be 90% Muppet Babies.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I enjoyed the second one for what it was: An escape episode. (The only thing missing was him saying "My name is Ben Kenobi. I'm here to rescue you." when he burst in the cell.) There's a lot going on and a lot of moving parts here, and the best moment came when Obi-Wan and Leia have a second to breathe and he says "You remind me of someone..."

Um... what's up with the Grand Inquisitor? And do we know how Haja knew him?

Also, that planet looked like a space Chinatown. "Forget it, Jake..."

Still loving the show. Between this and Strange New Worlds, I'm getting two shows I have been wanting for a very, very long time.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
A good friend came over today and we watched both episodes (his first viewing and my second). His feelings roughly mirrored mine; while there is a lot to like in the series, the 'kiddy' aspects of the series as personified in the two chase sequences with Leia detract from the series. Those segments undercut the dramatic tension of the series and serve to lower the overall impact of the episodes.

Since we know the freighter from Daiyu is not traveling to Alderaan, I am beginning to believe that Leia will accompany Obi-Wan for the entirety / majority of season one. The cynic in me feels like the series is attempting to duplicate the dynamic of Mando / Grogu which I think is a bad idea; at least if they continue to insert poorly conceived elements in the show to appeal to children.

Despite those comments, I do like Vivien Lyra Blair's performance for the most part and the dialog feels appropriate to Leia. Just 'smarten it up' a bit and don't pander to kids so obviously.

- Walter.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I enjoyed the second episode more than the first one. The interaction between Obi-Wan and Leia was fun. However I feel all these will make things sadder in the original trilogy which I'm not sure if it's good or bad. Now we will see that these two will not see each other again in A New Hope.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I enjoyed the second episode more than the first one. The interaction between Obi-Wan and Leia was fun. However I feel all these will make things sadder in the original trilogy which I'm not sure if it's good or bad. Now we will see that these two will not see each other again in A New Hope.
I wouldn't have thought that Obi-Wan and Leia had met after Revenge Of The Sith but this story meshes nicely with "Ben Kenobi? Where is he?!" and also with Bail and Leia trying to contact Obi-Wan with the Death Star plans in the first place.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
My wife and I loved both episodes. Sure, there are things they could have done better here and there, but I think this show feels more like Star Wars than any series that's come before it, and that's a good thing. It's very cinematic. McGregor is fantastic with his somewhat broken, pained Kenobi, as is Vivien Lyra Blair as young Leia. The dynamic between her and Obi-Wan is totally enjoyable to watch. Digging the show so far!

MattBradley

Second Unit
Real Name
Matt Bradley
"Obi-Wan was wise to hide her from me" - Vader, ROTJ

It's always interesting when these new series make things have more meaning.

Twice so far Obi-Wan has tried to talk to Qui-Gon. I wonder if that'll get paid off. I also wonder if the Emperor or even Yoda might show up in this. Can't believe we'll be halfway through this series as of this Wednesday.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Twice so far Obi-Wan has tried to talk to Qui-Gon. I wonder if that'll get paid off.

Seems likely to me. I think the gist of the series is that Obi-Wan's skills are a bit rusty from lack of use and his PTSD. As the series progresses and he engages with the world and the threats therein, his skills will return to him. I believe he will commune with Qui-Gon before season one concludes. On a related note, I was thinking more about the relatively desaturated color palette of the show and I was wondering if the show's creative talent will increase the vibrancy of the color as the series progresses as an aesthetic tied to Obi-Wan's return to form, assuming of course that occurs.

- Walter.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
It dawned on me that this show is the first time in all of filmed Star Wars that we’ve focused on Obi-Wan. That’s a good thing. I hope McGregor gets the second season he said he wants.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks