What's new

Normal to have "hiccups" in wireless connection? (1 Viewer)

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
Due to compatibility issues between my old Dell router and my Comcast cable modem, I switched to a D-Link router. It's worked fine with one small exception: Every five minutes or so my laptop will lose the wireless signal but then recover it within a couple of seconds. (I get the little pop up in the system tray saying "unavailable" and then just as quickly, it will say "signal strength excellent.")

For normal browsing it's not a huge deal, but it's frustrating to get interrupted when downloading things. Is this a common phenomenon with wireless cards and routers (though, like I said, my Dell never did it) or is there a problem with my router?

shaniceMW

Stunt Coordinator
could be anything, but check to make sure your card is correctly seated in your laptop. i have problems with my comcast modem and have to reset it constantly. i may get one from circuit city this weekend since they keep sending me these stupid coupons.

Seth--L

Screenwriter

The problem is unique to you (in the sense that this is not a common phenomenon). How far away are you from the router? Could the design/composition of your home be causing interference?

Patrick_L

Second Unit
cordless phones, microwave ovens, baby monitors, x-10 devices, etc can have a negative effect on some wireless systems. also, keep the router/access point away from mirrors and/or windows as they are highly reflective.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Brian,

I am struggling with keeping a constant wireless connection, too. In my case, I have a Dlink 802.11g router on the first floor, and a desktop with a Dlink PCI 802.11g card on the 2nd floor. Signal strength ranges from "very good" to "low", and the PC will disconnect. Usually it reconnects automatically, but occasionally it does not. I have not been able to nail down the cause of the problem yet -- possible culprits are our 2.4 GHz wireless phones or the metal table that we are temporarily using as a computer desk (I have to finish assembling a new wooden desk this weekend). The microwave is no where near the router or PC, and disconnects do not correspond to use of the device, so I'm pretty sure that's not the problem.

The radio is set at full power, and I have tried several different channels. Also, if I do not broadcast the SSID, the PC does not automatically reconnect, so I'm broadcasting for now (my wife uses the PC, and is not real clear on when to try to repair the connection manually). I do use WPA for secured access, and limit the DHCP scope to two addresses for our two PC's, so broadcasting the SSID is not that big a deal.

shaniceMW

Stunt Coordinator
it's the coupons. they send me coupons for certain things. i swear they are tracking my spending habits. and yes the modem is a piece of scrit too.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Maybe DLinks suck...

I say that because I too own one, and I too get hiccups. Totally depends on placement too. I normally sit anywhere from 15-30 feet from my router, and it's not a simple case of "further = flakier connection". Sometimes I'm far away and will have a stable connection, other times I'll be much closer and drop every few minutes. Unfortunately I've passed my 30 day return policy. Am looking into getting a Netgear or Linksys one, see if it performs better. If so, I'll keep it, if I keep dropping, I'll return it to Best Buy.

Before I do that, I will try that DIY project... :)

CRyan

Screenwriter
DLink does in fact suck! I had one for two years and finally broke down and tossed it about five months ago. I had both a DLink modem and wireless router. I went through many steps and other products to determine that both sucked. I had constant downs over the two years and thought it was the house and how I had it placed. Well, following replacement, I have had zero problems from the same locations. Replace it and you will probably be amazed.

You can at least buy another one at a local store and if it does not fix your problem, return it. But be aware that it could be your modem as well. Hook a PC to it directly to see if you have modem problems as well.
C. Ryan

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
It's definitely not the modem - we have 2 PCs hooked up and they don't have any problems whatsoever with connectivity or performance.

I actually think I have a Pringles can in the cupboard so as soon as I polish off those last chips, I'm going to do the DIY thing w/ it and see if it works. If not, I've had great luck w/ Netgear in the past (and good luck w/ Linksys).

I just went w/ the D-Link because of a sale + rebate which Best Buy had a couple of months ago. I ended up getting the wireless router for less than $30 after rebate.

WillNE

Agent
I have a simliar problem. I have a Belkin Router and Netgear card in my desktop and had one in my old laptop for about 6 months. Neither had any problems and it worked great but then I bought a Dell laptop with an Intel G/B card but am using it at 802.11B since that what my router is and it disconnects and connects back like your talking about. My netgear cards don't do that and this laptop is the only thing that I have seen do it on my router or my aunts. It really annoys me. I think it did it on my aunts Linksys router also but I'm not positive. My other computer with my Netgear USB adapter works fine and I have a PC Card Netgear card for my old laptop before it died and it works find and I have thought about putting it in this laptop but I don't want anything sticking out of the side. I can't believe Dell charged my $30 or $40 or whatever for this card as it is a complete piece of crap. I called them and they said something must be interfeering with it but nothing interfears with the other wireless pc's I have.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks