What's new

No "The Day The Earth Stood Still" until 2003? (1 Viewer)

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
According to The Digital Bits we will not see "The Day The Earth Stood Still" until 2003. Unfortunately when in 2003 was not specified. Meaning in a worst case scenario, 18 months from now in December 2003. This is going to be terribly disappointing if the release date is late into the year.

Bill Huelbig

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Huelbig
This is very sad news. But if Fox releases it next year as part of a Sci-Fi Classics promotion that includes JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH, it won't be so bad after all.

--Bill

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Disappointing news to be sure. Still, there are plenty of upcoming great releases to tide me over...

John Nelson

Stunt Coordinator
I've been eagerly awaiting this title too.
2003?
Criminy, George Lucas could digitally replace Klaatu with Jar Jar Binks in that amount of time!

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Oh, don't be silly! :)
The Day the Earth Stood Still is being released as part of a group of 20th Century Fox titles. Patience-trying, to be sure. But once the disc is loaded into our players, our agony will be forgotten. I feel very confident in this disc.

Jeff Reis

Stunt Coordinator
I think I recall hearing that Wise has recorded a new commentary for this disc--can anyone confirm? I pondered selling the autographed LD box but I'm kinda leaning towards keeping it now--surely all the material on it won't make it to the dvd. The DVD will be a must-buy but the delay doesn't bother me much. August alone will devour most of my DVD budget (snicker) for this year anyway.

Ryan Potts

Stunt Coordinator
While I'm not so happy that the release is next year, my wallet more than thanks Fox for not adding that to immediate list.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
While this is disappointing, I am more than willing to wait and hope that FOX treats this classic properly as I'm sure they will.

Mike_S

Stunt Coordinator
Jeff! Don't sell that autographed LD Box Set! Being a 4:3 ratio movie, the resolution won't be that much better on the DVD. The LD is one of the best overall packages ever. I'm definitely keeping mine.

Bill Huelbig

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Huelbig
To quote myself from last June, above:

But if Fox releases it next year as part of a Sci-Fi Classics promotion that includes JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH, it won't be so bad after all.
And they are - both brilliant Bernard Herrmann-scored classics will be available on March 4th, 2003. Thank you, Fox!

--Bill

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks