What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
If one were to attempt to compare Ferris Bueller's Day Off, a 1986 family film from John Hughes, that apt comparison might be to the Academy Award-winning Best Picture of 1946 - The Best Years of Our Lives.

As a film that concerns the inner machinations of family, of parent/child, and sibling relationships, FB comes close, but it's in color.

I had initial concerns for this new 4k UHD from Paramount, as the opening credit sequence is possibly half a reel, and it's all dupe - and soft. That would be natural for a dupe.

I just wasn't seeing 4k. And then, almost as if by some miracle, the film cuts to production footage and the image pops into focus and never drifts.

It actually has grain (or appears to) - terrific color, great blacks (and there's that red faux "Ferrari"). The image is spotlessly clean.

Audio has been upgraded from to Dolby Atmos.

For collectors, there's potential treasure here.

How many people neglected to send in their 30 guineas or whatever to purchase a 1926 Seven Pillars of Wisdom Subscriber's Edition? Apparently quite a few as their were only about 170 complete copies released.

No guarantee, but Paramount has issued FBDO in a rather splendid - there are metallic inks involved - Steelbook case, and it's an attractive, if not glorious take on packaging the film. It appears that they taken a couple of original snaps and somehow tied them together, and now Ferris is lounging across the front seats of said faux Ferrari.

Inside, you'll find the 4k UHD disc, and a paper slip inviting you to view the film in streaming. More imagery on the inside.

I'm thinking... First Printing, possibly 20,000 copies. Probably half will get dinged up in shipping, which means that (and I'm not suggesting the investment) some folks are going to be picking up 3 or 4 boxes of said steelbooks and putting them away for possibly six months, until the price skyrockets. One might be able to profit to a point of picking up one's own classic faux Ferrari.

Terrific film, that still works nicely.

And Steelbook packaging aside, it's a gorgeous 4k UHD release.

Image – 5 (Dolby Vision)

Audio – 5 (Dolby Atmos)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Makes use of and works well in 4k - 7

Worth your attention - 8

Upgrade from Blu-ray - Yes

Slipcover rating - 8

Highly Recommended

RAH

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate, HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Still holding on to my DVD which has the long lost John Hughes commentary track.
So does this release.

• Commentary with Director John Hughes
  • Getting the Class Together: The Cast of Ferris Bueller's Day Off
  • The Making of Ferris Bueller's Day Off
  • Who is Ferris Bueller?
  • The World According to Ben Stein
  • Vintage Ferris Bueller: The Lost Tapes

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
So does this release.

• Who is Ferris Bueller?

And I can confirm that's accurate since I have the disc in hand!

Was shocked to see it there!

The 4K loses a photo gallery from the prior BD but I thought that collection was meh anyway, so I don't miss it.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
So does this release.

• Who is Ferris Bueller?
Except for the commentary, all of those extras are now on the iTunes 4K digital. I'm hoping my disc arrives today, but it might be tomorrow.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Except for the commentary, all of those extras are now on the iTunes 4K digital. I'm hoping my disc arrives today, but it might be tomorrow.
I wonder if there’s any chance the commentary will be added to the iTunes version at a later date.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
So does this release.

• Who is Ferris Bueller?
I believe so.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I love this release. The Atmos is indeed very great. Loud and full. Dialogue crystal clear.

I listened to the audio commentary with John Hughes. I think I heard it years ago when the DVD was first released but forgot much of it so it was fresh again. When he talked about the Art Institute of Chicago It was fascinating! Perfect disc in my opinion!!

BobNewport

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bob Newport
As mentioned in another thread, that is a HORRIBLE cover! Looks like a 5th grader tried Photoshop for the first time.

Thankfully the movie is a JH classic that holds up to this day.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks