What's new

no Poltergeist DVD coming this year (1 Viewer)

Andy Olivera

Screenwriter
That really sucks!!! Poltergeist is, without a doubt, my favorite film and I was really looking forward to some extras. Particularly, I was hoping for a commentary with Tobe Hooper. Plus I'd like to know what happened with the jump cut after the sliding objects demonstration. DAMN!

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
Sigh. Once again, politics steps in to hinder an audience from enjoying a film. People can be so petty.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
I think it has more to do with ET being released first, then sit on it for a couple more months than all of a sudden Poltergeist will be released at a later stage.

poor judgment in my case

Will K

Screenwriter
I hope this does not mean there's going to be some fancy, CGI-laden revised version. I'd love to see a restored print on DVD, but only the original theatrical. :frowning:

Andy_S

Second Unit
They're sitting on a lot of money with this one, so I'm sure it'll be released eventually. They probably are holding it back so it won't step on the E.T. release. Although this would be a perfect time to release it since it's the 20th Anniversary. Halloween would be the best time to release this one.

Brian Ralph

Stunt Coordinator
So ET and Poltergeist attract the same general crowd? Somehow I doubt that. Certainly a number of people on this board are interested in both (myself included), but not the "general public". In my opinion they appeal to wholly different segments: family vs horror.

Just because they are linked by Speilberg's involvement, they may "step on each other's toes"? I don't think I buy that.

Dave Anderson

Second Unit
That really sucks!!! Poltergeist is, without a doubt, my favorite film and I was really looking forward to some extras.
Consider the laserdisc box set released in 1994. From IMDB:
The transfer is excellent and the source material was in generally good condition.
Supplements: US trailer, international trailer, a short "featurette" shot at the time of production, and a handful of production photos.

Chris Brunner

Second Unit
It's MY fault!!!
I just bought, framed, and hung a mint copy of the theater insert in my HT 5 days ago. :D
Sorry and disappointed,
Chris

Adam Barratt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
At least the disc available now is very good, even if it doesn't include any extra features.

Adam

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I think it has more to do with ET being released first, then sit on it for a couple more months than all of a sudden Poltergeist will be released at a later stage.
What's ironic about that thought is that both films were released to theaters in the same year! (1982)

John J Nelson

Stunt Coordinator
I wouldn't stress about this too much. Right now, you can pick up the film in a version that's OAR and anamorphic. Which is more than can be said of some more recent releases... :frowning:
-- J.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks