What's new

No Picture from S-Video (1 Viewer)

Teddy

Auditioning
I've hooked up my DVD player to my receiver with an optical cable for audio and that works great, but when I hooked up an S-Video cable from the DVD to the receiver there is no picture, When I use a composite video cable I get a picture. Does anyone know why I don't get a picture with S-Video? Any advice would be great!

John S

Senior HTF Member
I have seen a few players that you have to tell it the output you wish to use via a system setup type menu.

Also make sure they are both not considered like Video1 on your display. When this happens, you cannot use both at the same time. Quite common.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
What connection is going from the receiver to the TV? Do you have any other video coming into the receiver? If your receiver does not upconvert video, you may not be able to use different types of connections coming into the receiver.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
You also need an S-video cable from receiver to TV, connecting to a different input bank for example Video 2 behind the TV.

Most receivers do not cross feed (with upconversion, etc) the S-video sources to the composite video monitor output to the TV.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
it sounds like you're routing your video through your receiver. as already stated, unless your receiver upconverts, you'll have to stay consistent with your video connections, both input and output.

keep in mind s-video is much better then composite. if you have to, to keep your s-video connection, i'd recommend running your video signals to your tv instead. it'll be worth it.

Teddy

Auditioning
Hello! Sorry it took so long to get back to you, my cat ate the power cord for my computer, so I've been without! My TV lacks an S-Video input, so I'll have to wait till I get my new television to hook up my DVD player with S-video. Thanks for all your advice, I couldn't figure the damn thing out!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks