What's new

No audio from connected 4K player. (1 Viewer)

greggor

Second Unit
Real Name
Greg
One other thought admittedly a long-shot -- have you contacted Pioneer and gotten their input. Maybe they are aware of a solution or possibly even a beta firmware patch that might increase the compatibility or at least could tell you straight up it's a lost cause.\.

I don't know how much it's a firmware limitation or how much might be completely a hardware barrier

Yes, and sadly I have the last firmware update for this receiver. It will pass through the 4K video signal and that's it. I'm going to open up my walls and do what should have done when I built the room and that's run a second HDMI cable to the projector. I should have a back up cable there anyways. In the meantime we are enjoying the player on my 4K Samsung downstairs.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
I remember you said you had the latest official firmware which was several years old, but I was more thinking sometimes the Companies have unofficial firmware that they never released or even backdoor upgrades that were designed for different receivers which would still work to help older hardware compatible continue to function.

It seems the Elite line was one of the lines that had some unofficial patches for other issues before that could only be obtained by getting it from the tech people. If Pioneer folks said there was zero solution then there's not much to do unless you cna find some proprietary solution elsewhere.

Last edited:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
What doesn't make sense to me is that it will pass a 4K video signal, or process audio, but not on the same connection. Unless I'm not understanding the issue. It seems to me that if it wasn't compatible with the 4K video signal it was receiving, it wouldn't pass it. I guess that's just the reality of this stuff anymore. It's so complex that it's gotten twitchy.

greggor

Second Unit
Real Name
Greg
What doesn't make sense to me is that it will pass a 4K video signal, or process audio, but not on the same connection. Unless I'm not understanding the issue. It seems to me that if it wasn't compatible with the 4K video signal it was receiving, it wouldn't pass it. I guess that's just the reality of this stuff anymore. It's so complex that it's gotten twitchy.

John,

This is what doesn't makes sense to me either. It does explain why the X700 has to HDMI outputs but like you said if it can pass through the video why can't it pass through the audio and video from the same output? There must be something in the receiver that won't read each signal through the same HDMI output. It's both strange and frustrating. My receiver has no issues decoding True HD and DTS Master HD from the player I just can't see anything on the screen unless I run from the video HDMI output. I was trying to figure out a way to assign a second HDMI input to the same one that the video is connected to but this receiver won't do that either. That's one feature I really miss that previous B&K had.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
UHD players often have dual hdmi outputs, but that's because a lot of people have receivers that can't pass 4K, but can process any audio from a 4K disc. Then you run video directly to the TV, and audio from the second output to the receiver. That doesn't explain your situation.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
There may be an issue with your Elite receiver not being able to handle the bandwidth of both an audio and 4K video data stream on the same input. That model was one of Pioneer's first to support 4K video, so weird behavior is not that surprising.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
That's the likely explanation. The price of early adoption.

greggor

Second Unit
Real Name
Greg
I remember the 4K compatibility among other features at the time was a huge selling point for me when I was shopping for this receiver. The price of early adoption indeed. If this receiver didn't sound so good and still perform all of its other functions I would probably just purchase something new.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
FYI, page 30 of the manual states, "4k signal transfer: This may not operate properly, depending on the connected equipment."

It also states that it's not supported on HDMI IN 6 and 7.

But as this unit predates the release of HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 I'm certain it doesn't support any of it.

greggor

Second Unit
Real Name
Greg
FYI, page 30 of the manual states, "4k signal transfer: This may not operate properly, depending on the connected equipment."

It also states that it's not supported on HDMI IN 6 and 7.

But as this unit predates the release of HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 I'm certain it doesn't support any of it.

Yes I've read this in the manual and have always used the BD HDMI input for my player. My new 50 Foot HDMI cable arrived today. I've tested it and it works so I'll be opening up the ceiling and running a second cable so I can run the video directly to my projector. I'm going to install some conduit while I'm at it so I won't have to go through this again! What was i thinking when I finished this room? I was at least smart enough to run two sets of speaker wire to all of my speakers...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks