1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

No audio from connected 4K player.

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by greggor, May 12, 2019.

Tags:
  1. greggor

greggor Second Unit

Greg
    I just replaced my BluRay player with the Sony BDP-X700 4K player. The player is connected to my SC67 Pioneer receiver to the same inputs as my previous Sony DVD player. For some reason I'm not getting any audio through my receiver. I've tried other inputs on my receiver and to no avail. I do get sound when I connect my DVD player directly to my Samsung T.V.

Is this not working because my HDMI output is connected to a non 4K projector? I'm at a loss here so I'm posting before I decide to bring the new DVD player back. I've already spent hours going through my receiver settings and the settings in the X700. What am I missing?

2. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Lead Actor

3. greggor

greggor Second Unit

Greg
    Thanks for responding.

Well now this is interesting. The back of the DVD player has an audio/video out HDMI and an Audio out only HDMI, but the first HDMI port is supposed to transmit both audio and video where as HDMI 2 transmits Audio only.. I do get Audio when I connect the HDMI2, "Audio out" to my SC-67 but then of course I don't get video. I have two "HDMI in" connections that aren't being used on my receiver which I tried connecting to via a second HDMI cable from the dvd player but there's no way to use two HDMI ports at the same time as far as I can tell. Another words the SC67 won't take video from one source and sound from another at the same time unless I am missing something.

Do all 4K players have two HDMI outputs? My receiver is 4K/2K compatible so why isn't the HDMI audio/video output on the player producing both sound and video? Sadly, I only have one HDMI cable running to my Epson projector an run an additional cable would require me to cut out a section of my ceiling. I am getting audio and video if I disconnect the projector from my receiver and connect to the DVD player... Again, the HDMI audio/video output on the X700 produces both sound and video if I have it connected directly to my Samsung TV but not the receiver.

4. greggor

greggor Second Unit

Greg
    Upon further research it appears that my SC-67 is not compatible with my new 4K DVD player so the only way I can use the player with this receiver is to utilize both HDMI outputs on the back of the X700 and only receive the audio through the receiver.

My options are to run another HDMI cable to my projector or buy a new receiver. I'm bummed. I'm not ready to shell out money for a new receiver right now.

5. JohnRice

JohnRice Executive Producer

John
    If it wasn’t compatible, it wouldn’t work regardless of how you connected it. I’d be certain the player is configured to send both audio and video from the main hdmi output. Audio can usually be turned off with dual outputs.

6. greggor

greggor Second Unit

Greg
    I have connected the X700 to my SC-67 using the HDMI 1 output which transmits both audio and video and the only configuration options on the X700 are AUTO, HDMI 1 or HDMI 2. The specs on the SC-67 state that it does 4k/2K "pass through" so I figured the receiver would be able to receive both audio and video from a single HDMI cable but this doesn't appear to be the case. The only other thing that would make sense is that the X700 I bought is defective but if this is the case then why does it have two HDMI out ports back?

7. B-ROLL

B-ROLL Cinematographer

Bryan
    I doubt this will help put assuming this is your model there is a firmware update

I have to admit, I feel your pain I just bought and tried to install an ONKYO receiver and have been spending some time getting it to work ... So far I've found that if you attach the TV through the 1st "Main" HDMI OUT and and don't have ARC on the monitor (even if you tell the setup that it doesn't have ARC you won't see anything on screen after you do... Until you change cable the HDMI out to "SUB" ...

First World problems:When one of the reasons you buy a receiver is to get 7 HDMI in connections and that's still not enough :( ..,.

8. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

It sounds like your Pioneer AVR does not support 4K pass through. If that is the case, the only solution is to run the audio-only HDMI 2 output from the UHD player to your AVR and the HDMI 1 output directly to your projector. You could use something like this HDMI switch which supports sending HDMI signals from 3 devices to a single display. The video output from your AVR would go to one input, the Sony HDMI 1 output to another input, and the output would go to your projector.

You may eventually want to upgrade your AVR to a model which supports 4K video pass through, but a device like above may buy you some time.

9. David Norman

David Norman Producer

That was my 1st thought, but when I checked the model (pioneer elite) and it certainly appears it does and I couldn't find any posts elsewhere that said it had problems. I;m not sure if there's a setting on the receiver or Player that's blocking something though it certainly wouldn;t be the first time 2 components had a shaky beginning.

B-ROLL likes this.
  10. B-ROLL

B-ROLL Cinematographer

Bryan

Attached Files:

greggor likes this.
  11. Scott Merryfield

If the receiver does indeed support 4K pass through, then you may be right that there is some sort of setting in the AVR that has to be enabled. There shouldn't be anything special in the Sony player that needs to be set -- at least there wasn't in my Sony X800 UHD player (and the X700 is supposed to be very similar).

I guess it could be an HDMI handshake issue, as you suggested. Those can be quite difficult to solve -- I never could solve the one I had between my Sony X800's audio-only HDMI 2 output and my old Pioneer Elite 94-TXH receiver. I ended up upgrading to a new Denon model which completely supports the latest HDMI 4K specs at that time. I would try updating the firmware and then look for some possible video settings in the Pioneer's manual that could pertain to 4K video.

greggor likes this.
  12. John Dirk

John Dirk Cinematographer
    Supporter

JOHN
    I can tell you this. It's not the equipment you've purchased.

@Scott Merryfield I initially thought the same but the receivers specs confirm it does.

@greggor You didn't specify the source material, which is important. Is it a UHD disc, broadcast TV, etc. or is the problem universal. I suspect the audio signal currently being sent is one your receiver is currently not properly configured to decode.

13. greggor

greggor Second Unit

Greg
    Gentleman thank you for all the replies. Just to address a few points: I've updated the firmware on the X700. I've tried multiple sources, DVD, Bluray, Netflix, youtube etc... all have video but no audio. I really believe the issue is with my receiver since the X700 is outputting both audio and video from HDMI 1 when I connected it to my Samsung. So what is the issue with my SC-67??? Everything is set correctly and as was confirmed in this thread the SC-67 does support 4k! I've also tried 3 different HDMI cables with no success so that's not it. I'm pretty frustrated at this point so perhaps another forum member has an SC-67 and they'll chime in. I may also return this player and try another one just to be sue it's not an X700 issue as everything should be working.

14. JohnRice

John
    Try setting it to hdmi1 instead of auto. That’s me guessing the default is Auto. OF COURSE it can receive both audio and video through a single hdmi, but something isn’t doing it.

15. Scott Merryfield

Have you checked for firmware updates for your Pioneer receiver? There may be a fix that addresses some HDMI issues.

I did a quick scan of the manual for your receiver, and page 76 is the start of the video options settings. There is a V. CONV setting that probably needs to be set to OFF, and you probably want the RES set to PURE. I would also make sure all the other video processing settings listed are turned off, as well.

16. xx Brian xx

xx Brian xx Stunt Coordinator

Brian
    Most 4k Bluray players come with 2 outputs. No, you don't have to use both. Change audio output to HDMI1 and test it. If it doesn't play try changing the output format.

Brian

17. JohnRice

John
    I win. :drum:

xx Brian xx likes this.
  18. Neil S. Bulk

Neil S. Bulk Screenwriter

Neil S. Bulk
  19. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Director
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    You said you tried three HDMI cables, but you didn't say what kind. You have to be sure to be using Premium Certified cables. They're not expensive, but you must have the premium kind that can handle all the new technology. It DOES make a difference.

20. JohnRice

John
    To the dog house with The Mountain. ;)

I still say to give setting the audio output to HDMI1 instead of Auto a try. Auto sensing settings can be twitchy. I had checked that the receiver is 4K compatible.