What's new

Apple 4k TV audio Extractor Question? (1 Viewer)

his1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Howard Ian Stern
Hi again! I just got a gift of the Apple 4K TV and I'm not willing to buy a new audio-receiver just yet. I have been using an HDMI AUDIO-EXTRACTOR that is compatible with my Blu Ray player(1080) but I get" NO SIGNAL" hooking up this new TV the same way. I read you need an audio-extractor that is capable of 4K 60HZ/Dolby Vision that connects to my sound system using the old RCA red/white plugs. I see quite a few on AMAZON but am not sure which one I need? Some of them say DOLBY VISION and others just say 4k/60hz. I am currently hooked up from the APPLE to the TV using HDMI 1 that says ARC. I'm stuck with using my 4k TV speakers but want to play it through my Technics-receiver. HELP!!!!

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
What are the model # of your TV and receiver? Does your TV offer optical (aka TOSLINK) audio output?

Last edited:

his1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Howard Ian Stern
Thanks! The TV is a Toshiba Fire TV and does have an optical out on the back. The receiver is Technics 2021 receiver ( 2 channels.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The best solution is to use the optical out to a DAC with an optical input.

his1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Howard Ian Stern
What’s a DAC? Do they sell it on Amazon? Are you sure this will work and I will still be able to receive the 2160 Dolby Vision? Thanks for your help on this!👏

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
Go optical out from the TV. Either to the receiver directly if it has an optical input, or through something like this, there are a zillion different ones on Amazon.

Better than the HDMI audio extracter idea since you will still have direct HDMI from the Apple TV to the TV, so Dolby Vision, etc will be unaffected.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
What’s a DAC? Do they sell it on Amazon? Are you sure this will work and I will still be able to receive the 2160 Dolby Vision? Thanks for your help on this!👏
Greg linked to several DACs (Digital Audio Converter) above. As he stated, if your receiver has an optical input, you can connect to that instead of using a DAC. this way, the Apple TV is connected directly to the TV, so there will be no problem with passing 4k or any form of HDR.

You didn't provide the model # of the receiver to see if it has an optical input.

his1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Howard Ian Stern
Greg linked to several DACs (Digital Audio Converter) above. As he stated, if your receiver has an optical input, you can connect to that instead of using a DAC. this way, the Apple TV is connected directly to the TV, so there will be no problem with passing 4k or any form of HDR.

You didn't provide the model # of the receiver to see if it has an optical input.
The Technics receiver is SA-EX110 AND DOESN'T LOOK LIKE IT HAS AN OPTICAL OUTLET.

his1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Howard Ian Stern
Just checked the back of the receiver and there’s no optical plug

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I would use the optical output. The headphone output is probably linked to the volume control, which will cause hassles.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks