What's new

Nintendo NX is now Switch (Official thread) (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave

Asking for repair/replacement of my Switch controller. “Drift’ is happening frequently and intrusively now.
Repaired / replaced! Free of charge. About two weeks turnaround.
IMG_0334.jpeg

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Finally got a new left Joycon. I waited a long time partly because I was upset at the awful controllers Nintendo included with the system (when thinking about repair, I decided I didn't want another like it), and offered as secondary controller (the Pro controller was as bad as the Joycon "drift"). So no D-Pad on the original Joycon, and an awful non-functioning D-pad on the Pro controller. Lose/lose!

I never thought I'd say this but the day has come were a 3rd party company makes better controllers than the "official" Nintendo brand, and that to me is a shame.
Anyway this Hori controller feels great and the D-Pad is perfect, and long overdue.
1627841941535.png

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I've not yet bought a Switch, but the Hori d-pad Joy-Cons have been on my want list as a day 1 buy when I do. I intend to only use the 1st party Joy-Cons for motion controlled games like Super Mario Galaxy (3D All-Stars) and Skyward Sword HD when playing in console mode.

Sadly avoiding the official Nintendo option again, the 8BitDo Pro 2 is my planned Switch gamepad purchase when I make the jump. Looks and sounds like a solid controller that will be useful on my PC as well. Assuming they're available, that is (It launched earlier this summer as I recall, yet Amazon US has zero stock; Hopefully just supply chain issues rather than it being discontinued already).

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I've not yet bought a Switch, but the Hori d-pad Joy-Cons have been on my want list as a day 1 buy when I do. I intend to only use the 1st party Joy-Cons for motion controlled games like Super Mario Galaxy (3D All-Stars) and Skyward Sword HD when playing in console mode.

Sadly avoiding the official Nintendo option again, the 8BitDo Pro 2 is my planned Switch gamepad purchase when I make the jump. Looks and sounds like a solid controller that will be useful on my PC as well. Assuming they're available, that is (It launched earlier this summer as I recall, yet Amazon US has zero stock; Hopefully just supply chain issues rather than it being discontinued already).

I have an older 8BitDo SN30 controller that I bought to play the NES/SNES games on the switch and love it. Feels very much like the old snes pads. If I ever need to upgrade I'd buy one of those in a heart beat.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
One cool thing I just became aware of with the 8BitDo Pro 2 is that it won't become a useless brick if the built-in battery dies before the controller does. The rechargeable battery pack can be removed and standard AAA batteries used instead.

Is their latest arcade stick the same way, I wonder?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Are there any cheap Switch controllers? I want a fourth controller for a party, to have 4-player Mario Kart as an option. This is a one-off thing, so I don't want to spend $60+ on another Pro controller. Something $30, I could splurge as a party expense.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
So the Switch got Bluetooth audio support overnight. You can only use it if the Switch isn't connected to another Switch and you can only have 2 controllers connected (dual-JoyCons count as 2 controllers) but hey, it's Bluetooth audio!

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Finally got a new left Joycon. I waited a long time partly because I was upset at the awful controllers Nintendo included with the system (when thinking about repair, I decided I didn't want another like it), and offered as secondary controller (the Pro controller was as bad as the Joycon "drift"). So no D-Pad on the original Joycon, and an awful non-functioning D-pad on the Pro controller. Lose/lose!

I never thought I'd say this but the day has come were a 3rd party company makes better controllers than the "official" Nintendo brand, and that to me is a shame.
Anyway this Hori controller feels great and the D-Pad is perfect, and long overdue.
View attachment 106580

I picked one of these up and yeah, it's essential if you're playing any of the nes/snes online games in handheld. Thanks for the tip!

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Nintendo had a pretty big Direct yesterday. Personally, the Nintendo 64 and Genesis games coming to NSO (plus controllers) were my personal highlights.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
It would be awesome to play Goldeneye with friends online like old times. I wonder if Nintendo will go through the cost, and effort to try to make that happen?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Got the new Bluetooth audio update installed and my AirPods Pro connected now that I’m back on home WiFi — unfortunately Switch can‘t deal with Hotel WiFi and its login pages. A terrible design failing on a mobile device, not being able to use public WiFi hotspots.

Glad to finally have this feature. Guess I can toss my USB-C audio dongle I bought a couple years ago. Look forward to using this on my next trip!

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
It would be awesome to play Goldeneye with friends online like old times. I wonder if Nintendo will go through the cost, and effort to try to make that happen?
They would need MGM/Broccoli and Microsoft to go in on it. Not happening.

That said, getting MS to go along with Perfect Dark? Also not happening.

(Those games are...not as good as we remember)

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I'm excited for the bonus games and I'm sure I'll shell out for the N64/Sega titles. I have that limited edition cartridge with Mario 64 on it, I'm glad I basically it for free since the little I played Mario 64, I missed the save states and what not that the online Nes/Snes have. I can't imagine those features wont carry over!

My only complaint is Phantasy Star 2& 3 seem to be missing from the Sega offerings, but they list Phantsy Star 4 and Shining Force so hopefully they come out eventually. Only the first Phantasy Star game is available outside of the sega game collection and I want to play the others.

I'm very tempted to buy a N64 controller for the full nostalgia experience, but I'll have to see. I hated the genesis controllers back in the day so I'll stick with my Snes style 8bitDo pad for those. I never owned a N64 so I wont really be missing it if I play with a regular pad.

Otherwise the only game I was hoping to be announced, wasn't. Who do I have to blow/kill to get Final Fantasy 1-6 on the switch? They got "pixelperfect" remasters for cellphones and Steam. They need to Switch it up bay bay! :rolling-smiley:

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
It's cool they're doing this, but I probably won't spend extra the extra cash for it.

I own the N64 titles on the original N64 and on my Wii U (which is still hooked up), and I can play the Genesis games on the compilation they already put out on the Switch, which probably has extras and emulation features that won't be included with this online package.

The controllers are cool in concept. They got the job done at the time, but I don't feel any particular nostalgia to use them again, especially for fifty bones each.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, the more I thought about it, the less interest I have in buying those controllers. I have no real nostalgia for the Genesis (owned one but didn't really prefer it) and the N64 controller was...not the most comfortable to use. The idea of having "official" bluetooth N64 controllers is appealing but I don't think I need them.

I have no idea how much interest I actually have in playing these games, but I'll likely sign up for the "expansion pack." I mean, the service is currently only $20/year so how much extra could it possibly cost?

I would expect FF1-6 to have the pixel remasters announced/released on all modern consoles as soon as all 6 are out, especially on the Switch. In general, if a game isn't on the NES/SNES/N64/Genesis collections, then it's already available on it's own/in a collection, is coming sometime in the future (to the online collection or individual sale), or the cost to license it is ridiculous.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I'm not so sure that I'd write off Goldeneye just yet.

Microsoft obviously is cooperating here and there's no videogame exclusivity contract for the James Bond franchise these days that used to further complicate matters. But if something were to happen, I'd bet on Goldeneye also making a simultaneous appearance on Xbox (An arrangement Rare tried to make happen during the Wii VC/XBLA days of the late 2000's, with Nintendo not wanting to play ball back then). That said, I sure wouldn't hold my breath for it. But it seems less of a fantasy than it did just a few years ago.

I'm interested in the Nintendo 64 controller, but will wait and see what the verdict is on the N64 emulator and the controller itself. Eurogamer at least seems less than pleased with what's been shown so far with the emulator. But assuming both are up to par, I'll probably buy the controller and pay for the necessary subscription.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks