Nintendo NX is now Switch (Official thread)

DaveF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave

Ok, not excited. I’ve found I don’t have the patience to play retro games, so I don’t think M64 would hold my interest. I played Sunshine on the GameCube, when I had time for video games, and it didn’t hold my attention for more than about a third of the game. It was ok but not a great game.

Mario Galaxy I’m interested in, since I missed it (having missed the whole Wii era). But it’s not worth $60 to me.

If this bundle was $30, I’d buy it. $40, maybe. But, for me, how I’m gaming, definitely not for $60.

Reactions: Bryan^H

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I pulled the trigger on the collection because I had a 10% Best Buy coupon that was about to expire and nothing else to buy, plus I do want to have the physical copy in my collection since it's a limited-time thing. I'm guessing they'll start to re-sell some of their GameCube and Wii games on Switch as digital titles in the spring, so maybe Sunshine and Galaxy and Galaxy 2 will be available after March. They went through all the effort to port these games to the Switch and clean up the textures and update the button prompts...just to make a collection that's only available for a limited time? Nah, they're gonna sell them individually or something.

Super Mario 64 is a classic, but the wife and I replayed it a year or two ago so I'm not in a rush to replay it all the way right now. I haven't played Sunshine since it first came out but I actually really loved it, especially the joy in just playing with the water pack and the platforming challenge levels. Galaxy 1 and 2 are probably 2 of the best Mario games ever made, but the final levels are really challenging and I'm not exactly looking forward to going through that amount of frustration any time soon. So most likely I'll get the collection and play the games casually every so often.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Super Mario 3D Land looks even nicer in HD than I figured it would.

Sure hope that eventually becomes possible on the Switch one of these days.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member

I get it. I fully expected to see Super Mario 64 with new graphics, and slightly tweaked gameplay that is popular is so many other remakes (Think MArio Odyssey graphics, and control in the 64 game). A straight HD conversion is kind of shortsighted on Nintendo's part in my opinion.
Again, I'm not crapping on this game. But when I heard the rumors of this months ago, I fully expected to see new enhanced graphics at a minimum. The news of this game so far shocked me a bit.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
At best, I would think they ported over the superior DS version but, I don't think any of the leaks/rumors/discussions about SM64 involved a remake. The graphics/textures are cleaned up but anything more substantial would probably require a LOT more work.

I'm a little surprised it doesn't run widescreen, though.

DaveF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Super Mario 3D Land looks even nicer in HD than I figured it would.

Sure hope that eventually becomes possible on the Switch one of these days.
I'm confused, what is that video of? From the official Nintendo trailer it looked liked SM64 on Switch was straightup N64 quality graphics. No HD remaster or anything.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I posted the day when this collection was unveiled that my only real complaint I have with this upcoming compilation is that it's missing two excellent 3D Mario platformers, including Super Mario 3D Land from the 3DS. Then I speculated that Super Mario 3D Land could make an easy transition to the Switch if Nintendo ever decided to port it such as for a standalone release down the road.

I love 2D and 3D Mario platformers though, so I naturally want this compilation. My only issue past it being limited is that I wish it included Super Mario Galaxy 2 and Super Mario 3D Land.
Then this morning, YouTube happened to recommend me a video of Super Mario 3D Land running in HD (Via illicit unofficial means that we can't discuss at this forum). Was impressed just how pretty it looks just by upping the rendering resolution, so I figured I'd pass it on to add a bit of weight to my expressed confidence that it would be a good choice for Nintendo to port to the Switch one of these days.

The video has absolutely nothing to do with the Switch though, so I'm sorry for the confusion. I should've added some context to that post.

Last edited:
Reactions: DaveF

DaveF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Super Mario All Stars 3D is HD and widescreen for all three games.
Available through March 2021.

Per the official Nintendo promo video.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
DaveF - Mario 64's textures are cleaned up a little bit (higher resolution) and the resolution/framerate are fixed from the N64 original but they did not remake any of the character models or change the levels in any way. It's basically an HD remaster of the original game/assets.

DaveF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Oh boy, I’m looking forward to Pikmin 3! I loved the first one on the Cube. I missed the next two. If this reissue for the Switch gets good reviews, this will be my next game!

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Pikmin 3 was great but I feel like a lot of the quality-of-life improvements on it came from using the Wii U GamePad to order Pikmin around. I'm curious how this is handled on the Switch.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Hyrule Warriors Age of Calamity got a 9 out of 10 on IGN. I hate myself for checking that garbage site, but I had to. And the result is as exactly what I expected to see. Pathetic. Dynasty Warriors series have always been dogged, and ravaged IGN.
Yet...
Slap a Zelda theme coat of paint with a more simplistic art style, and much jankier (rough at times) frame rate, and much uglier, and completely uninspired experience that is an exercise in utter tedium, and a much lesser game than any of the DW games from the PS2...and you have a near perfect game in 'Age of Calamity'. :eek:

I wonder what the cash out was for IGN?

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Reviews for Age of Calamity seem all over the place. I think it comes down to whether you love Zelda and musou games.

DaveF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I’ve read the reviews thinking there was a new Zelda game out. I still haven’t figured out what this new game is, and it doesn’t sound bad, but doesn’t sound like what I was expecting or want to play right now.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I’ve read the reviews thinking there was a new Zelda game out. I still haven’t figured out what this new game is, and it doesn’t sound bad, but doesn’t sound like what I was expecting or want to play right now.
Dave, there is a lengthy demo for it on the Switch now. You might like it. For me it is a cure for insomnia.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dan13