What's new

Nintendo NX is now Switch (Official thread) (1 Viewer)

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Was able to get Mario 3D All Stars and Origami Mario (the latest one) for basically free on Airmiles points. A little bummed that the Mario 3D All Stars doesn't have at least save states based on the packaging, especially after loving how the NES/SNES games are presented to play on the online. That said, I've not played any of the 3D games in it so I finally get a chance and the "price" was right.

Picked up the retro Fire Emblam RPG that had the US debut on the switch, it's another limited time gimmick and only $8 or something so why not? Got the Mana collection as well. Plan to buy the Final Fantasy Legend gboy pack too, it's only $20, but not limited and I'm in no rush so I'll wait for a sale. Who knwos when I'll get to any of these at the rate I play games haha.

That said, that Atari Flashback set in the Switch was on sale too, and despite only 2 volumes on the PS4, I picked it up since these kind of games are kind of perfect for on the go play. I think the Switch port is the best version for console. The Switch touchscreen isn't perfect, but its 100X better than the PS4 pad for touch sensitivity to make some paddle games like PONG more playable. It's the little things, and of course, the Steam version were I presume you can use a mouse would be the ultimate best. But the price was right on the switch for the number of games and I'll get my money out of it doing comforting runs of Adventure.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I’m thinking about buying a Switch Lite. I have been out of gaming for about a year now and I’m getting the itch again. I don’t really care about docking and connecting to my tv anymore so I’m ok with saving a hundred bucks out of the gate for the Lite model. Has anyone here had any issues with joycon drift on the Lite? I never experienced it on my gen 1 Switch and if I had, I could have just replaced the joycon - something I wouldn’t be able to do with a Lite.

Clinton McClure

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
The more I think about it, the more I’m tempted to wait and try to pick up a v2 Mario Edition Switch on Friday. It will cost $100 more and be a bit heavier, but I won’t be dead in the water if I experience joycon drift like I would with a Switch Lite. I don’t remember my gen 1 Switch being that heavy or uncomfortable to play in handheld mode. If joycon drift wasn’t an issue large enough to warrant two class action lawsuits against Nintendo, I would buy a Switch Lite tomorrow and not lose any sleep over it, but I don’t want to be a few months to a year down the road and the left joycon goes weird and I’m without a gaming system for (insert an insane number of) weeks while Nintendo repairs my console.

Clinton McClure

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I slept on it again and decided to go ahead and try my luck with a Switch Lite. It’s lighter and the body doesn’t flex like a standard Switch with attached joycons. Since it’s smaller than a standard Switch, it feels really good in my hands. The controls aren’t cramped and the system doesn’t feel awkward. I re-downloaded a few games I had originally bought on the eShop (Mario Kart 8, Blaster Master 0, and a few more indie titles) and then bought the first three Dragon Quest games. I hear DQ 1 has some stuttering issues on the world map but I can live with that just to be able to play the original game again. I finished it on NES in 1989 then again on iOS in 2012-ish. It’s in my top 10 all time favorite games and I’m really excited to play it again. I got to spend a couple of hours playing Breath of the Wild this evening. It plays really nice, even on a smaller screen. I immediately remembered that breakable weapons gets on my nerves really badly, but I’m going ahead with a full play through again because it’s still an excellent game.

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
I slept on it again and decided to go ahead and try my luck with a Switch Lite.
Keeping my fingers crossed for you. The joycons on my original (regular-sized) Switch lasted almost three years before the right one started drifting, and that was with frequent (though not intense) use. You can also buy a Switch Pro Controller and link it to your Switch Lite if you want to prolong the lifespan of the sticks, although it kind of defeats the purpose of having a Lite at all.

It's a great system, hope you enjoy it!

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I think I’m starting to get some drift on my 2.5 year old Switch. But it’s infrequent and short lived currently.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I'd really like to play my Switch again, but my Joycons went bad in November, and the Pro controller was a joke from the second I charged it. I don't want to spend $70 for new Joycons, and the thought of a new pro controller sends shivers up my spine (have they fixed the issues with it?).

Guess I'll decide how bad I want to play a new Switch game this weekend.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'd really like to play my Switch again, but my Joycons went bad in November, and the Pro controller was a joke from the second I charged it. I don't want to spend $70 for new Joycons, and the thought of a new pro controller sends shivers up my spine (have they fixed the issues with it?).

Guess I'll decide how bad I want to play a new Switch game this weekend.
Why don’t you send them in for free repair / replacement?

Clinton McClure

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
What was your issue with the pro controller? I used one with my 1st gen Switch and never had any complaints other than the shoddy D-pad which I hardly ever used.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
What was your issue with the pro controller? I used one with my 1st gen Switch and never had any complaints other than the shoddy D-pad which I hardly ever used.
I use my D-pad for a ton of indie games I buy, and they are all unplayable with it. So to me it is worthless. I don't want to change controllers for specific games so that controller has been untouched for a long time. I'm not sure what happened with Nintendo. Beside the analog stick on the 64 controller breaking down (after tons of hard use) their controllers have always been rock solid with no issues. That has changed drastically with the Switch...which is a shame because it is their best console in along time!

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I haven't had any problems with the pro controller, but I also haven't played any super taxing games with it since I'm still mostly playing Animal Crossing. That said I did order an 8BitDo Sf-30 for playing the nes/snes games and it feels great. I can't say if it's exactly like the old SNES controllers since it's been decades since I last played the original, but I'm loving it for retro platformers like Mario 35. They have an updated version to the one I got (I didn't read up on it and bought an older model for the pretty buttons :( ), and it would be another $50 or spent for you but it may do the trick to get you back in. Be sure to check out reviews.

1615051655293.png

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I've got the "Pro" controller and use it, but I prefer the Joy-Con controllers. The Pro contorller analog stick has too much throw compared to the tighter range on the joy-con. For me, playing Hades is easier with the joy-cons compared to the Pro.

Now, it's not so much worse that I don't use it. The convenience of a second controller I can just pick up and use outweighs its controller deficiency.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Was able to get Mario 3D All Stars and Origami Mario (the latest one) for basically free on Airmiles points. A little bummed that the Mario 3D All Stars doesn't have at least save states based on the packaging, especially after loving how the NES/SNES games are presented to play on the online. That said, I've not played any of the 3D games in it so I finally get a chance and the "price" was right.

Picked up the retro Fire Emblam RPG that had the US debut on the switch, it's another limited time gimmick and only $8 or something so why not? Got the Mana collection as well. Plan to buy the Final Fantasy Legend gboy pack too, it's only $20, but not limited and I'm in no rush so I'll wait for a sale. Who knwos when I'll get to any of these at the rate I play games haha.

That said, that Atari Flashback set in the Switch was on sale too, and despite only 2 volumes on the PS4, I picked it up since these kind of games are kind of perfect for on the go play. I think the Switch port is the best version for console. The Switch touchscreen isn't perfect, but its 100X better than the PS4 pad for touch sensitivity to make some paddle games like PONG more playable. It's the little things, and of course, the Steam version were I presume you can use a mouse would be the ultimate best. But the price was right on the switch for the number of games and I'll get my money out of it doing comforting runs of Adventure.
Fire Emblem: Three Houses is an amazing game. If you haven't already, that is a wonderful fun strategy game. Octopath Traveler for traditional awesome RPG, and Astral Chain just because it is amazing action game---- Switch has some home run exclusives.
Why don’t you send them in for free repair / replacement?
I'll look into it. I didn't even know that was an option. Thanks.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Fire Emblem: Three Houses is an amazing game. If you haven't already, that is a wonderful fun strategy game. Octopath Traveler for traditional awesome RPG, and Astral Chain just because it is amazing action game---- Switch has some home run exclusives.

I'll look into it. I didn't even know that was an option. Thanks.
I just started Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon & Blade of Light that originally came out on the famicom and localized for the first time. It's on sale until the end of the month. Was totally baffled at the start without a manual, but it makes sense now. A turn based strategy game. Before I get too far I'm going to check out a faq haha. I saved your suggestions to my wishlist, thanks!

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'm in the pro-controller camp. I found the joy cons awkward and virtually unusable. Having to spend 90 bucks on another controller to make the system usable was annoying, but my fingers and thumbs thanked me.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'm in the pro-controller camp. I found the joy cons awkward and virtually unusable. Having to spend 90 bucks on another controller to make the system usable was annoying, but my fingers and thumbs thanked me.
Did you dislike the joycons regardless of configuration (both on the Switch and in the standalone controller kit)? I’d have thought using the joycons clicked into the full controller mount might have been good enough to save $90. Unless like me, you’re lazy and don’t want to dock and undock the joycons.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Did you dislike the joycons regardless of configuration (both on the Switch and in the standalone controller kit)? I’d have thought using the joycons clicked into the full controller mount might have been good enough to save $90. Unless like me, you’re lazy and don’t want to dock and undock the joycons.

No. I tried them in both configurations. It was the.positioning of the joysticks that I disliked. The positioning resulted in my thumb feeling that it was in an awkward position. Also they felt too small in my hands, even with the controller dock.

Clinton McClure

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
On the Switch light, the spacing for the buttons and analog sticks is slightly different so it feels more natural in my hands and isn’t cramped like the joycons on the full size Switch. While I don’t have big hands, the joycons were uncomfortable to use by themselves and still felt awkward attached to the Switch, enough that I rarely played anything in handheld mode. I tried the stand-alone controller kit that came with the system and it didn’t make the joycons any more comfortable for me. Also, the lite has a D-pad instead of four directional buttons and it works properly.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks