What's new

Nintendo NX is now Switch (Official thread) (1 Viewer)

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I'm guessing the lag was the game itself as opposed to bluetooth. The N64 emulation is a bit pants on the switch from the little I tried it with Mario Cart 64. Game played fine but the audio seemed out of synch a little. Ocarina is supposed to be one of the worst. Thumbs held they refine it, Nintendo is typically solid with this stuff.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, the audio and controls were laggy. Honestly, I'm chalking it up to the situation I was in (joycons removed, under the tray, with console sitting up high-ish, and bluetooth earbuds, plus who knows how much radio interference).

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I'm not so sure that I'd write off Goldeneye just yet.

Microsoft obviously is cooperating here and there's no videogame exclusivity contract for the James Bond franchise these days that used to further complicate matters. But if something were to happen, I'd bet on Goldeneye also making a simultaneous appearance on Xbox (An arrangement Rare tried to make happen during the Wii VC/XBLA days of the late 2000's, with Nintendo not wanting to play ball back then). That said, I sure wouldn't hold my breath for it. But it seems less of a fantasy than it did just a few years ago.
Looks like the achievement list for a Xbox remaster of Goldeneye has leaked.

Combined with Nintendo applying to get it off the ban list in Germany a few months ago, it looks like it's likely a go on both Switch and Xbox (And presumably PC).

Last edited:

DaveF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Does that report require the paid Nintendo account? I didn’t get anything like that. But I let my online subscription lapse end of last year.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Does that report require the paid Nintendo account? I didn’t get anything like that. But I let my online subscription lapse end of last year.
I don't think so. But it is strange as you should have received an E-mail by now I think. I stopped my Nintendo online service in February 2021.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Looks like the achievement list for a Xbox remaster of Goldeneye has leaked.

Combined with Nintendo applying to get it off the ban list in Germany a few months ago, it looks like it's likely a go on both Switch and Xbox (And presumably PC).
This is cool, but I don't think online play would be all that great. The thing that made the 64 version so killer was gathering a few friends, and trying to blow each other up (proximity mines) for hours on end. couch co-op was the biggest appeal to many. The well designed maps and weapon set were icing on the cake.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I've been using my 8BitDo Pro 2 today. It's a very nice Switch controller that is fully meeting my expectations so far. I also got a Retro-Bit 8 button Genesis USB controller at the same time, which seems to work nicely on the Switch.

Will be nice to leave the Joy-Cons in Nintendo's holder behind as my primary controller, although I must say I've grown pretty used to it over the past month and a half. Took some time, but it grew on me after 60 hours of so of use in Super Mario 3D All-Stars.

Speaking of 3D All-Stars, I've 100%'ed Super Mario 64 and I'm almost there with Super Mario Sunshine. I found my last blue coins last night and only have one 100-coin shine left to earn. This will be my first time fully finishing Sunshine, a game which I've grown to love quite a bit. I never found the time to dedicate to it on the GameCube and didn't play much of it through the years, until now.

Last edited:

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
A friend got me the SN Pro 30 controller for my birthday and it's become my primary Switch controller. I also used it a little to try out xCloud on my Chromebook and it works pretty well.

Super Mario Sunshine has a few weird quirks and the game is a big difficulty jump from 64, but I think the joy in running around and using the water pack were highlights of the Mario franchise. I remember loving the game on the GameCube and being surprised it wasn't loved by others.

DaveF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I played Sunshine on the GC at launch. It was neat and I played for a bit. I never came close to finishing it. But my recollection was overall it was too hard and a bit of a disappointment.

It being one of the trio is part of why I wasn’t interested in this $60 retro pack. No interest in revisiting Sunshine.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
The ease of customizing this controller has become icing on the cake. I always disliked depressing the analog sticks for L3 and R3, so the very first thing I did was map those to the rear buttons (Sunshine requires you to depress an analog to look around, which is necessary to look into the sun to enter the Noki Bay level).

But now that I've earned my 120th and final shine, I've moved on to Link's Awakening 3D where I was immediately reminded that Nintendo rather bizarrely disabled d-pad controls in this remake. After just a moment in the 8BitDo software on my PC, I had a second profile created that maps the left analog to the d-pad.

It's working beautifully an hour into the game and I'll still have a free profile slot left that I'll use when I subscribe to Switch Online (I believe the NES app forces B & A to be used for the NES action buttons instead of my preferred Y & B mapping).

Last edited:

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
The ease of customizing this controller has become icing on the cake. I always disliked depressing the analog sticks for L3 and R3, so the very first thing I did was map those to the rear buttons (Sunshine requires you to depress an analog to look around, which is necessary to look into the sun to enter the Noki Bay level).

But now that I've earned my 120th and final shine, I've moved on to Link's Awakening 3D where I was immediately reminded that Nintendo rather bizarrely disabled d-pad controls in this remake. After just a moment in the 8BitDo software on my PC, I had a second profile created that maps the left analog to the d-pad.

It's working beautifully an hour into the game and I'll still have a free profile slot left that I'll use when I subscribe to Switch Online (I believe the NES app forces B & A to be used for the NES action buttons instead of my preferred Y & B mapping).
I really wanted to like the Link's Awakening remake, but it suffers from really bizarre frame pacing issues (Eurogamer did a great analysis of them) and the lack of native d-pad controls is also pretty weird. I went back to the original GB game (on the 3DS) and it's a much tighter experience.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I had forgotten all the complaints at launch about the frame pacing and just frame rate drops in general, but sadly I quickly was reminded about it when leaving Marin's house at the start of the game.

I remember thinking that Grezzo would rectify matters in short order when I watched a Digital Foundry video at launch about the game's technical issues, but it clearly never happened.

Given the seemingly modest technical demands of the game, it's a bit puzzling that it's an issue.

Last edited:

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I just played the demo for "Triangle Strategy". Very fun, but only for the most patient tactical RPG players. There is a ton of dialogue, but the choices are great. I love the visual style which is almost identical to "Octopath Traveler". Also the 5 diffferent difficulty levels is a blessing. I won't go "Very Easy", but "Easy" is my choice. I know how difficult, and time consuming these battles can get. With the amount of dialogue scenes, I want to get through battles quick as possible.

I'm picking it up, but not until I get the new OLED Switch, which most likely won't be for a couple months.

DaveF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
My Switch is suffering controller drift again. I think it’s the same controller. Hopefully I can get it replaced free again.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I haven't bought it yet but the demo for that new Kirby game was insanely fun. I'm gonna replay the nes/snes ones on the online gimmick before buying it, but I'm getting that new one for sure eventually.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NickNick
Recent bookmarks