What's new

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
A tragic loss. Twilight Time is my favorite boutique studio by a longshot. I enjoyed the commentaries with Nick, and will miss his presence on the future Twilight Time releases.

Rest in peace sir.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
NIck was such a wonderful man.
2 years ago I met and talked with Julie Andrews and she expressed excitement about an audio commentary for STAR!. I gave Julie Nick's information. I know they had communicated about it. Sadly Fox never went through the restoration of STAR! for Blu Ray.
Rest in Peace kind Nick

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Rest in Peace. I didn't know Nick, but I definitely know the enormous legacy he's left behind.
Twilight Time is my favorite boutique studio by a longshot.
There are so many small gems that aren't "on brand" for Criterion and wouldn't generate the kind of sales volume that the major studios require. Of the smaller distributors that cater to this niche, Twilight Time is by far the best. You can buy one of their releases and rest assured that even if it doesn't look perfect, it looks as good as it can without restoration based on the currently available elements.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
very saddened by this loss, sympathies to Julie and the rest of his family. Only knew of him from this board and the work of his that proudly is on numerous shelves among many of the members on this forum. His choices were intriguing and dare i say, sometimes embolden; Zulu, because he loved the film. The importance of The Birth of a Nation, even though it is what it is. The Isolated scores, and i became aware, the same day that Beat the Devil arrived on my doorstep, RIP.

Reactions: PMF

Stefano B

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Stefano
My deepest condolences to Ms Kirgo and all of Mr Redman's family. He did such an invaluable work for us film lovers and collectors, which is bound to last. Rest in peace.

Brent Reid

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brent
Such incredibly sad news. Almost any time Nick Redman's name is mentioned, it's in conjunction with his generosity, knowledge and passion. He followed his dreams to the benefit of us all, and his fine legacy will ensure he'll never be forgotten.

My deepest condolences to all who knew and loved him. Rest in peace.

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
This came as a great shock and I am so very sad to read this news.

When the Hello, Dolly! movie soundtrack album was released on CD 24 years ago, I noted that he was the producer of the album, and I wrote to him, lamenting that it was a strict repeat of the LP; I was disappointed that the wonderful Main Title music, dance music, exit music, etc had not been included, especially since he had recently produced expanded soundtrack CD issues of The Sound of Music, Star! and other 20th/Fox properties.

Somehow Mr. Redman found my phone number and called me one afternoon - and he spent at least an hour on the phone with me explaining (in his lilting British accent) that the rights owner of the Hello, Dolly! CD release (Philips at the time IIRC) was unwilling to pay the additional ASCAP fees that would be assessed, and, further, he had to convince them to release it at all. He put up with a barrage of questions from me, not only about Hello, Dolly!, but The Sound of Music and Star!, and I have never forgotten his generous and gracious outreach to a total stranger.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I'd like to take a quick second to bring attention to a commentary that Nick recorded last year that didn't get much attention here - I think it's worth mentioning. It was on the Twilight Time release for the Brandon Lee martial arts action film "Rapid Fire." The film itself wasn't anything great, but it was a decent early 90s action movie filled with impressive martial arts action. But what made the disc itself truly noteworthy was the commentary that Nick recorded with the film's composer, Christopher Young. Nick leads the conversation, getting Young to open up not only about his experiences working on that particular film, but also on everything that goes into being a movie composer. I've loved film scores all my life, and I've read plenty of interviews with my favorite film composers, but I've never read or listened to anything that provided as much insight into the day to day process as that track did.

That commentary should be required listening for anyone thinking about making a career of film scoring.

English Patient

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joseph
My deepest condolence to Julie Kirgo and the rest of Mr. Redman's family. Everything I've read about him indicates he was a real gentleman, a fount of knowledge about the movie business, and an irreplaceable force and voice in the home video market. It was always a bit amazing to me that Twilight Time started as essentially a two-man operation, and yet in a few short years the label released hundreds of great, underrated and often offbeat catalog titles in high-def that otherwise most likely would have remained in limbo. Probably every classic movie enthusiast and collector owes Mr. Redman a debt of gratitude.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
As others have said, we are all so lucky to have been the beneficiaries of his love and dedication to film and film music and his hard work to bring fellow fans the best quality he could on anything he worked on.

Speaking of his many wonderful commenteries, my personal favorite of his is probably the one he did with Sally Field on the TT Places in the Heart blu-ray.

Rest in peace. And thank you for the gifts you’ve left behind.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Nick and Julie were at our last HTF meet in 2015. They answered all of our questions and were very informative on the Twilight Time business.

RIP Nick.

lionel59

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael Robert Lionel Evans
Very sad to learn this news. Have learned much from his commentaries and we are all in debt to him for his monumental efforts re classic movies on dvd and blu ray. My sincere condolences to Julie.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks