What's new

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
I missed this thread as I rarely look at the sticky threads, what a shock!
My deepest condolences go to Julie Kirgo and to Nick's family during this hard time.

We'll watch one of our many Twilight Time releases today in what I think is a fitting tribute to Nick, he brought so many movies to us that the studios weren't willing to release on Blu-ray, thank you Nick!

Timothy E

Reviewer
Real Name
Timothy Ewanyshyn
Nick was a class act, as is his wife, Julie. For those unfortunates having never had the opportunity to meet Nick or Julie, you should know that some of their style and class comes through in the Twilight Time product, between their selection of titles and Julie's fascinating essays.

I first met them both some years ago, and had the pleasure of dining with them both on various occasions. The dinners were filled with stimulating conversations about film, music, and other things. Ever since I reviewed The Egyptian for the Home Theater Forum, I have acquired every single one of the releases from Twilight Time. I cannot say that every film is a classic to me, but I know when I "blind buy" a Twilight Time release that there is a high probability that I will be exposed to a fine film experience. The only title I never acquired through Screen Archives or the Twilight Time website was the original release of Fright Night(1985), and the only reason that I did not purchase that title is that it was an instant sell-out. I mentioned this in one of our discussions in appreciation of the company's releases, and Nick did not forget it.

The next time I saw Nick, he had remembered our earlier conversation, and brought along a copy of Fright Night for me so that it would complete my collection! Twilight Time already had my brand loyalty before this gesture, but that kind act by Nick sealed it for me. Even though Nick is no longer with us, I intend to continue expanding my horizons with Twilight Time for so long as they continue releasing new product.

It has been a few years since I saw Nick and Julie in person, but we kept in touch through Facebook, as we do as time marches on with so many of our friends and acquaintances. Others have said it better, but I believe that we are never really gone so long as there are others left to remember us, and I will always remember Nick's kindness and generosity when I think of him.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
If you happen to own a copy of THE WILD BUNCH on Blu-ray but haven't yet reviewed the supplements, note that one of the documentaries featured ("A Simple Adventure Story: Sam Peckinpah, Mexico and The Wild Bunch") contains footage of Mr. Redman sharing his on-the-scene thoughts about the film's locations years after the fact. He also co-produced and narrated the 1996 Oscar-nominated documentary "The Wild Bunch: An Album In Montage," an excerpt of which is also included in this Blu-ray. The disc also contains his commentary, shared with three other writers. I surely do wish WB would remaster this film in 4K and carry over all of the delightful bonus materials.

Brian Husar

Supporting Actor
Just responding now, he created something for us cinefiles that have longed to have these films on Blu Ray. The first Twilight Time I got was Lenny. Finally and all the Woody Allen films that MGM/UA didn’t want to release and the Oliver Stone films. He will be missed. Thank you Nick.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
My condolences have been far better articulated and reflected by all those who have left messages;
yet, there are a few others to which my thoughts have also been with;
Brian Jamieson, Mike Finnegan and Lem Dobbs.
Peace and blessings to you, good sirs.

Last edited:

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob
Deeply saddened by this news. Julie and Nick were such wonderful guests at the Hollywood meet in 2015.

RIP

Reactions: PMF

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Very saddened to just now see this thread and read about losing him at a young age. We will be the worse without him. RIP.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I just received my region free blu ray of Ship Of Fools from England this week which has a Nick Redman/Julie Kirgo commentary. I'm looking forward to listening to it. I suspect that Twilight Time will release it here at some point.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I just received my region free blu ray of Ship Of Fools from England this week which has a Nick Redman/Julie Kirgo commentary. I'm looking forward to listening to it. I suspect that Twilight Time will release it here at some point.
I think it is still with Mill Creek I believe they indicated on the TT thread they did not plan to release it ... subject to change of course ...
upload_2019-2-17_18-50-8.png

Last edited:

Brian McP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
Just found about this on the HTF just now -- truly sad news -- for me, seeing a Sam Peckinpah movie is not complete without sitting through it again and listening to Nick and friends' commentary track -- am amazed to this day that the different studios who owned the rights to these movies would let Nick and co do commentary tracks on each and every one of Sam's greatest movies -- obviously they knew how great Nick and co were and jumped at the chance to have them included on the dvds/blurays.

I look forward to listening to Nick's dulcet tones for many years to come, truly someone who loved movies and went that extra mile (or light year in some cases) to get them out of the archives and vaults and back into circulation, to life, working their magic for new generations.

I was always quietly envious of someone who could do that after all the wishing and hoping routines most movie buffs survive on and have done so for decades as movie titles slowly retreat back into the darkness of the eternal film vault -- thanks Nick for breaking some of them out for us!

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Koroush Ghazi
Haven't been back here for some time, but I'm deeply saddened to hear of Nick's passing. I can only echo what Timothy says above: "Nick was a class act, as is his wife, Julie."

The world needs more Nick and Julies - knowledgeable, passionate, articulate, and above all, capable of turning their dreams into reality.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks