What's new

NHT Speakers (1 Viewer)

Dmitry

Supporting Actor
The only thing to watch out for with VT-2s (but it also applies to 2.5s) is the distance from the back of the speaker to the wall. My friend has a pair of 2.5s and if he moves them closer than 4' to the back wall, the bass immediately begins to get muddy and muffle the mid- and high-range. Make no mistake, both VT-2 and 2.5 are great speakers but being rear ported they have this problem. That's why I decided to go with 5 VS-2s + sub for my dedicated HT setup (fortunately I had been able to have a spearate setup for music/HT). I also vote for VT-2 over 2.5 to go with VS-2.

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
Tim, I'd advise getting a 5-channel amp and really hearing what your speakers can really offer. I think most AVRs starve good speakers and will usually not reveal their full potential.

Mark Russ

Second Unit
Doesn't (or didn't) NHT have a speaker that you can switch between bipole for movies and monopole for music?

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Good suggestions here. I should probably check out a really integrity driven 5 channel amp first. At least see about auditioning one if I can find a retailer who does this anymore?
Mark,
If memory serves me right, the VT-2's do have a switch on front but it's Audio or Video I think????
Dmitry,
I do have plenty of room/wall space behind the speakers it appears....did some measuring after I read your post. Thanks! :)

Robin Casady

Agent
I have a 6.1 system of NHT 2.5i as mains, four 1.5 for surrounds, and an SVS 25-31PC+. It is being driven by an Outlaw 950 and 770. At first I was using a Denon 3802. When I added the 770 to the Denon (while waiting for the 950) the extra amplification really helped. Clarity and smoothness improved.

This system sounds great, but is definitely on the bright side.

Haru

Stunt Coordinator
got pair of 2.9s in the front, 2 pairs of 1.5s for the rear and sides, an AudioCenter-2, and 2 SubTwoi subwoofers.

I am big NHT fan. have owned NHT super ones (2 pairs) and a pair of 2.3a towers as well. great stuff

Dmitry

Supporting Actor
Mark & Tim, VT-2 has a switch for audio/video, just as Tim says. VT-3, if memory serves me correctly, had a switch to go between bipole/monopole.

Eric A

Second Unit
Tim,
I agree with the fact that you may want to try a better amp. NHT's have always yearned for power and this would probably wake up you system.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
I know I must sound greedy wanting a tad more volume output :b My system sounds great as is and some of my friends will think I've gone bonkers getting better amps. You guys are right though and upgrading the amps ( at least the front 3 channels) will be good anyway if indeed I do want to go with the VT-2's or 2.5i's. If I could afford them I would get the 2.9's. :frowning:
Accurate sounding is still subjective and I love NHT's but they can be a little forward sounding (bright). Any good warm amp suggestions? One of the stores here in Dallas uses Marantz stereo amps for the 2.5i's they still have. Sounds good. Thanks for all the great suggestions here too! :)

Eric A

Second Unit
I have always been fond of Rotel Amps. I am currently using 2 of them to power my system. Also Parasound is a good choice. Good Rotel amps can be had on Audiogon for a great price as well as Parasound.

jeffry G

Auditioning
Big NHT fan too. Have owned 2.9's, Super Two's, Super Zero's. and now am running 3.3's with an AC-1 and Super One's for surrounds. Haru I'm jealous of your setup. The AC-2 is a big improvement over the AC-1 and I'm looking for one as we speak. The 3.3's are simply the most impressive speakers I've ever heard relative to price. I can't imagine ever selling them. Sound great with all types of music and don't compromise for HT. The only thing is set-up and amplification. Setup/placement is finnicky and amps should be powerful and warm for all NHT's. I use an EAD PM1000. The only multi-channel amp I found for under $2000 that can feed the 3.3's sufficiently.

Eric A

Second Unit
Jeffry,
I hate to tell you this, but I just purchased an AC-2 for $450. I'm only and running 1.5's for my fronts but as I can afford it I will purchase 3.3's or 2.9's and move the 1.5's to rear with a second pair. I got the AC-2 because they are so hard to find. I talked to NHT and they told me they made fewer of the AC-2's than any other speaker. They said if I could find one, buy it. So I did. It really makes me mad because when Onecall closed them out for $450, the guy advised me not to get the AC-2 even if I planned on upgrading in the future and I missed a golden opportunity then.

Haru

Stunt Coordinator
Good condition AC-2s show up ebay once in a while. so you might want to keep a look out there.

I found the AC-1 not only ill suited to 2.9s, it wasn't that great with the 1.5 either. Adequate, no more. the 2.9s made it feel like micky mouse trying to sing between two pavarottis. an AC-2 will really boost your preformance. you should try to get one. you should also try to get 1.5s for the rear. they are a SUPERB match for the 2.9 and 3.3. The superones have a much more constricted sound, they lack the refinement and airiness of the 1.5.

James Elvick

Supporting Actor
I guess I should chime in:b
I have owned so much different equipment over the last ten years I should be in a 12 step program for audio!:D However, I'm currently quite pleased with my Mahogany 3.3's, AC-2, and 2 pair of 1.5's for surrounds and a SVS 20-39CS+ for LFE. This is all powered by a Parasound 2205a and 2003A, and for the front end a Anthem AVM20. This is my dream system achieved!:emoji_thumbsup:
I have owned many other speakers: NHT VT-2, 2.9's, 2.5's, VT1.2's, SuperOnes and SuperZero's. Monitor Audio Silver Series, Paradigm Reference 100v2 and 40v2, B&W CDMNT, Definitive Tech 2002, Polk, Infinity, and some other I forgot. Used NHT's are IMHO the best damn value in audio
James Elvick

JohnWA

Auditioning
Mark & Tim, VT-2 has a switch for audio/video, just as Tim says. VT-3, if memory serves me correctly, had a switch to go between bipole/monopole.
As an owner of a VT3 system, I thought I'd clear up something. The audio/video switch on the VT3 system does two things. One it allows you to turn on the rear firing drivers on the front L and R speaker. Two, it allows the addition of certain bass management features not present in "audio" mode. In "video" mode you have the ability to boost bass output centered at 60Hz. The rear or "ambient" drivers are not identical to the front drivers and can be bi-amped.

Regards,
John

Hap C

Agent
The NHT VT 2.4 has a switch on the front to go from monopole to bipole. I have them as mains, with NHT VS2a center, VT 1.2 rears, and an NHT Sub One. Love the sound, and highly recommend NHT.

Hope that Rockford does a better job of product development than Recoton. Most people seem to agree that the newer Evo line of speakers is OK, but not an improvement over the VT 3.3, 2.4, etc. earlier line of NHT speakers. Lots of other speaker manufacturers are copying the older NHT look and design - imitation is the most sincere form of flattery. I'd like to see Rockford reissue the last line of NHT speakers, and move production back here from China.

Jon_Welker

Second Unit
As I just finished reading all the posts on this thread to see that it was resurrected by someone looking for an AC-2, I thought I would put my 2 cents in. This thread came about and went about before I started frequenting this forum, and, although, there are a few mentions of the NHT Evolution system, I don't think it is fairly represented.

I have NHT T5 fronts, M5 center, and some CS 8.3 in-ceilings. When I auditioned speakers a few months ago, the T5's produced the cleanest sound that I have ever heard from a set of speakers. Keep in mind that I was mainly looking in the $2k - $3k price range for fronts. I did extensive testing between the T5's and Paradigm Studio 100's and B&W CDM 7NT's, and the NHT's beat them both hands down in my opinion. They produced a much cleaner sound than the B&W's in the mid's. There have been a few posters saying the Evolution line is so-so. Well, I beg to differ. Not being confrontational, just speaking from my personal experience. I would highly recommend anyone in this price range to audition the Evolution series and listen for themselves.

Another NHT fan here. I've owned the 2.5 and the 3.3. Both are awesome speakers for the money. Used 3.3s are available for around $1500. They are a steal at that price. I have not heard the new generation of NHTs.

However, I replaced the 3.3s with a pair of EFE T-22s and an NHT SW3P sub. In my opinion the EFEs + a sub sound better for about the same amount of money as used 3.3s. I have the EFE T-60s on order right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks