What's new

NHT Speakers (1 Viewer)

Nick L

Second Unit
Does anyone here have NHT speakers. I recently listened to NHT ST-4 while shopping for some nice floor standers and I absolutely loved them. They sounded so good, even better than the B&W 603s3's I was comparing them to. I was just wondering if anyone had these or other NHT's and would like to share their experiences with them.

Thanks

Nick L

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
NHT SuperOnes, Zeros in a 5.1 setup 2 yaers and counting. Never looked back.

I don't have the funds for anything larger, but I don't have the space, either.

I find nothing at all to complain about with regard to these speakers, and they only get 40 watts x 5 from my HK. Budget heaven.

- CM

Nick L

Second Unit
Thats kinda funny I have a HK reciever too, and AVR320. I'm considering picking up the Supertwo's in place of the ST-4's becuase they are only $500 a pair. It all depends.

Thanks for the thumbs up. I've always been a fan of NHT, but somehow never ended up with them.

Nick L

Eric A

Second Unit
NHT speakers are outstanding. If you like the ST-4's you should look for a closeout or E-stock on the 2.5i's around $600. These are considerably better speakers in my opinion. You can also get a great deal on a matching center and surrounds as well (AC-1's $250) and have a complete 5 speaker system for around $1300. With this set up you would not absolutely have to have a sub as the 2.5's are good to around 32hz. I have owned VT-2's, 2.9's and now 1.5's (because of a deal I made with my wife). I have also owned PSB's, Spicas, Phase Tech, Paradigm, Thiele, Kef and others in my audio life and I have truly fell for NHT's. They are truthful and powerful and represent a great bargain for the price.

Phuong

Stunt Coordinator
I used to own NHT SuperZeros and now own SuperOnes. They are both excellent speakers. I have no intention of upgrading from the SuperOne + Hsu VTF-2 combination. The best hi-fi setup I've ever had. With the sealed enclosure of the NHT's, I have more flexibility in their placement. I currently have the NHT's 6 inches from the rear wall (definitely not recommended among audiophiles) but they sound fine. If they sound boomy, I don't notice it that much. Measured pink noise in the 100-200 Hz region and it doesn't overemphasize that region as much as I thought. Couldn't say that about rear-ported speakers if I placed them that close to the wall.

Back to your post, Nick. You'll undoubtedly be satisfied with the ST4's. From what I've seen, they look great and have gotten rave reviews. NHT just makes great speakers that look good, period. Just make sure you take really good care of that piano black laquer finish. It's real polish, not laminate, so more delicate. Enjoy.

Peace and happy listening

Pete Gia

Stunt Coordinator
I have two super-ones and a sub for two-channel and Zeros for a modest HT setup. Love-em.

Chris Kane

Grip
It is because of the 3.3 towers that I will NEVER repeat NEVER again read archive reviews! I wonder what a used pair would go for if you could even find an owner that has slipped into insanity?
Has anyone auditioned the Evolution series and how do they compare to the ST-4 and 2.51?
Check out what Ken Kantor is up to now.
http://www.intelligentaudiosystems.com
Chris

Eric A

Second Unit
I have auditioned the Evolution M-5s extensively and I am always impressed initially but after extended listening I always seem to prefer the older Audio Series and VT Series. This is a personal preference thing though. One thing I will say is lacking is that the bass in the new Evolutions seems overdamped compared to the older series. NHT has never been described as having loose bass in any of their speakers but the new Evos seem to have gone too far for my tastes and are almost too tight. The bass seems to hit you the is gone immediately with no "decay". I am not the only one to have noticed this in my area. The guys at my local store are the ones that pointed this out to me. I would say the Evo's are better than the 2.5s and ST-4s but only slightly and not as good as the older 2.9s and 3.3s. This is especially true when you compare the prices you can find used NHTs for now.

Guy Usher

Supporting Actor
NHT makes or has made too many models all sound great.
I use 5 Super Ones (including a Super One at center)with a Marantz AV9000 controling a Rotel 985THX mk2 110x5 that pushes them. I have 2 subs each with 2 tens in a clamshell configuration made by a SB friend of mine. I have a small to mid sized room, currently in the process of replacing my DIY subs with one SVS 2039 that I will drive with my sub amp (Rotel 981 130x2).
I can say this; I have searched for the sound I have now for 30 years, spent well over 100K in those years, tried way too many combinations to list, Sony ES to Rotel with many stops along the way, you name it and I have had it, so to speak.
5 years ago I would not even consider my current setup, too simple, got to be large 3 ways or nothing untill lightning got my house and my system and I had to start over. I had to look for the most bang for the buck hence 5 NHTs + Rotel power, I too have never looked back. I am not saying what I have is the best. . . What is the best(real world)/ All I know is Im not worried about how it sounds anymore. I still shop around and look at ways to upgrade, shoot it took me 2 years to make up my mind on a better sub and I am going on faith as I have never heard a SVS before, my decision came entirely from this forum, hope all you SVSers arent loading my wagon.
I have had this NHT Rotel combo for a long time, took a long time to get here, I for one intend to stay foe awhile longer.;)

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
I use a set of Nht SuperZeroes for my computer's LCR with modified NorthCreek x-overs. These are a phenomenal value and unfortunately now has me on the upgraditus for the main system. I highly recommend this brand or Ascend as for their price range these are very hard to beat (unless you go the DIY route).

Doug_NHT

Stunt Coordinator
I run VT2.4 towers, VS2.4(5), and 2 Sub2i subwoofers. I drive the towers and surrounds with a Denon 4802 and I cannot get enough of my system. I'm very happy with it.

Doug

Phill O

Stunt Coordinator
I have the NHT 2.5i,1.5,AC-1 setup. I enjoy it alot.
I am running a Parasound HCA-855A amp. The Mains (2.5i) are
biamped. The rear is running off my old prologic reciever(Kenwood K-rv8070). No pre/pro, YET!

Colin Chisholm

Auditioning
I have an all-NHT speaker setup (2.51's, Audio Center-1, Super One's, and a Sub One). After a lot of speaker auditioning I decided that NHT was probably the cleanest, flattest sounding speakers I could find for under $3,000 (for the 2.5i's).

Unfortunately, must of the discussion about NHT has evaporated since they were purchased by a large speaker company whose name escapes me. The new company scrapped the entire product line in favor of new products. They also moved the manufacturing from California to China.

NHT was never a company that made a lot of noise (no pun intended) or called attention to itself. They were well regarded by educated listeners but I feel that the corporate restructuring has left a bad taste in much of the audio community's mouth about the company and their products. I really don't know what their future is. I'm just happy I was able to put together a system I love while all the products were available.

--
Colin Chisholm

Charles Gurganus

Supporting Actor
Yeah, Recoton purchased NHT but from what I can tell they are pretty much leaving NHT alone.

I do think the 2.5i's are very good speakers but IMO you will have a hard time driving them with a HK 320 receiver. NHT tower speakers are biampable and that improves them very much to these ears. I think if you want to stick to moderate receiver power, you would be better off with a sub/sat NHT setup. I've heard good things about NHT's SB2 and SB3 speakers as well.

TomK

Stunt Coordinator
I have the an NHT setup as well (except fo the sub), 2.5i's in the front, Supertwo's in the rear and the AudioCenter 1 in the middle. I have always loved the NHT's clean uncolored sound. I do have to say that NHT's are power hungry. I have my 2.5i's biamped and that's when they really came alive. The only way to go.

Tom

Dmitry

Supporting Actor
I have two (yes, two) NHT setups (well, almost NHT, subs are Velodyne). One is a sub/sat setup: 5 x VS-2a + HGS-18, the other is: 2 x 2.9 + AC-2 + 2 x 1.5 + FSR-12. I also have an AC-1 stashed away for upgrading the second setup to 6.1 and I'm hunting down a pair of VS-2a for potentially expanding the first. As you can probably guess, I'm quite happy :)

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Glad to find this thread. I've been a very proud and happy owner of NHT's since 1998. I currently use 5 NHT VS-2's and a Velodyne ULD-18 sub (the mother of all subs:b ). I have been thinking of upgrading main speakers however. I have always liked the 2.5i's as mains.
Let me explain what I am wanting and maybe my fellow NHT members can advise?
I want my mains to play a little louder, cleaner and even possibly run them full-range with 2 channel software.
My system runs plenty loud and clean now but there are times I want more and am pushing my systems limits. I also realize this is a reciever issue too.
I use a Pioneer Elite VSX-26 THX reciever that delivers 100 watts x 5. Strangely, this Elite's amps seem a little more punchy than the Yamaha I was using before. And the Yamaha was twice as expensive.
Will I get more oomph with 2.5i's as mains? Other thoughts?
Thanks for your time. :)

Eric A

Second Unit
With your setup I would go for VT-2's. I use to own them and regret ever giving them up. They take a back seat only to 3.3's, 2.9's and VT-3's for accuracy, imaging, and power. One of the most renown things about them was the power they displayed and the way they just kept coming at you the louder you played them. I know you figure you have a similar setup but in most reviews of the speaker the reviewers always mentioned that the VT-2's had something a little extra over going the sub/sat route with VS-2's. I saw a pair used on a website the other day for $700. I cannot remeber where just yet but when I think of it I will repost. One great option you have is that by adding the VT-2's you can stash the extra pair of VS-2's and have them ready to go for 7.1 if you ever decide to get something like a Lexicon.

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
FYI,

Recoton has owned NHT for numerous years..

NHT was just sold to Rockford Audio Group (Rockford Fosgate,
Halfer, Lightning Audio etc..)

Just thought i'd clarify..

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Hey Eric,
I've heard those VT-2's many times and they were awesome. I remember back in the days of laserdisc and AC-3...many Hi-fi stores in Dallas used those and my VS-2's for the center and satelites. They rocked. I went with 5 VS-2's mainly since I had a great sub already.
I forgot until you mentioned it that the VT-2's share the same drivers as the VS-2. But I always thought that they had the same output, save the bottom part of the tower which is the sub?
Do you really think I will get more output with those? And I will most likely have to bi-amp them?
Thanks. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks